Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheChief

Bean Basics

Gamnot, my original recipe was for Great Northern beans but I bet all of your varieties would work as well.

I am scared to death of pressure cookers so haven't tried one..

On 5/18/2012 at 6:19 PM, Sian12 said:

I was just about to start a new topic when I spotted yours. Since i am now retired, I have decided to do much of my cooking from scratch rather than by buying canned food. I have several crock pots and I just got 40 pounds of dried beans from amazon.com I have succesfully been able to cook dried beans in a crock pot, but i have been wondering about what kinds of additions to add with the beans. I have been using chopped up pieces of ham steak and onion as well. I have four different kinds of beans: pinto beans, red kidney beans, navy beans, and great northen beans. I let my beans soak overnight then I wash the beans put them in a crock pot and cook on high for five or six hours and they come out pretty well. I was just wondering what else I could put in the beans to improve the flavor. 

gamnot...   I was going to reply to you but it will not let me quote you so I will take this approach.

I am retired as well.Do you like to cook?It is much healthier to cook from scratch.

This is what I put in my beans.But I do not have a crockpot.I make a really good Boston Baked Beans if you would like that recipe as well.

Meats

You could use a ham hock.My favorite is the ham bone left over from baking a ham.

You could use bacon.I slice about 3 or 4 pieces of bacon and then fry them up.

You could also use some chopped up pieces of ham

Vegetables

1 chopped carrot

1 medium chopped onion

1 celery spear chopped

Spices

1/2 tsp of Thyme. if you like it.

1/2 tsp of rosemary, if you like it.I do not like rosemary at all.

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

Put all of the above in your crock pot and cover with water.You could use some chicken broth to your water if you would like.Cook for 8 or more hours.The more you cook them the better the flavor.  

On 5/18/2012 at 6:19 PM, Sian12 said:

Yes,I think there is something wrong with the board today. 

21 minutes ago, Sian12 said:

Gamnot, my original recipe was for Great Northern beans but I bet all of your varieties would work as well.

I am scared to death of pressure cookers so haven't tried one..

Oh don't be -   I used to be too -  then I ordered a set of the T-Fal pressure cookers they advertised on TV years ago -   they didn't call them pressure cookers, but infusion cookers.   I figured out what they were before I ordered them, but it took me a good 6 months to a year before I could get up the courage to try them.

Then, when I ran the pressure cooker for the first time, I put water in it, set the lid on, turned the burner on, then RAN out of the kitchen to watch from a safe distance.

Guess what  - it didn't explode.

I felt quite foolish.  lol

Pressure cookers today are not like they were back in our grandmothers' day.  They have several fail safes that keep the lids from blowing off.  They are one of the safest and most effective ways to cook today.

You can even buy electric ones that automate everything.

If you can ever get up the nerve to try one, I am sure you will absolutely love the results, and it will become your most used cooking "pot"   :D

11 minutes ago, bopeep1909 said:

Yes,I think there is something wrong with the board today. 

Yeah it just double posted on me after throwing up an error.

And just did it again  

Sign in to follow this