• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

Hi,

My half brother doesn't speak or contact me at all, he claims it is all my fault, I ruined his life I was born. He is 6 years older than me. His brother my own half brother died at the age of forty, I half a half sister who is 20 years older Than me whom I have a very good relationship with.

Not very long after asking Jesus into my life God asked me to forgive everyone who had hurt me, friends family and there were particular people my brother being one, my mother another. I have to admit that I nearly choked the first time I prayed it, but I prayed it faithfully every night until it was about 3 weeks later that I realised that I had actually forgiven them and God told me I didn't need to pray that prayer anymore, He healed my heart for me. Praise God.

I still don't have a relationship with my brother, I probably never will unless he comes to know Jesus. I have accepted that and continue to pray for him, it's so sad that is how he feels.

I also had to forgive myself within all of this, as there were bound to be things that I had done that didn't help.

I pray for all of those out here Lord that have been hurt by family members, we know you understand all of this and ask your guidance, comfort and love in these situations. Heal the broken hearts dear Lord, in your name and for your glory. Amen

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

We have been estranged from our entire extended family because of divorce, dysfunction and a very controlling matriarch of the family.  We are a Navy family and my folks broke some big promises with my kids 3 times in a row about visiting them after not seeing them in over a year.  I got tired of my kids getting hurt so after many years of an on again off again relationship and many previous estrangements and reconcilliations my Husband and I decided to end the totally painful relationship.  All the siblings were drawn in or jumped on board and were attacking us and being hurtful so we had to remove ourselves from that whole group.  One of the hardest things I've ever done but no harder than having to live in constant pain from apathy and rejection of my and my family on a daily basis.  I have found a certain degree of peace.  Reconcilliation is probably impossible at this point.  I don't desire it.  I just desire to no longer be in pain about it. 

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Praying~!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Praying~!

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64

I am estranged from the Roman Catholic half my family for becoming a non-denominational Christian.  I have a new family and a new Father in Heaven.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

How to cope in a world all alone when family is estranged?

Life is not easy, there is always something to overcome.

Everyone is given their very load to carry in life.

About families?

Some have good strong family ties, others don't.

Those that do have strong family ties, that is a blessing.

Family ties are what help connect us, help us feel part of, help us feel not so alone.

It can bring a certain well being, that you may not recognize you have until it is taken away.

If you are different in a family, either you will be still accepted for being different or you will be rejected from the family.

Mark 3:25

24"If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25"If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.

Even in the  family stories of the bible, families where divided,  Esau went one way and Jacob went another.

Especially when the division is caused by inheritance settlements, religion, abuse,

unless both parties with differences are willing to try and bring unity back, its almost impossible.

Its a very sad and painful process to experience.

But if you are the one grounded in your faith in Christ Jesus, then God will show you how to survive this life, until you are reunited back to your real home with Him.

Even though reconciliation with family does not seem possible ,  the healing process with Gods help is available and with that comes healing hope that anything is possible, including salvation for family members that are with unbelief in their hearts..

That's what I continue to do, pray for them from afar that Gods plan of Mercy and Grace works to find its place into their hearts..

Most of the remainder of my original family have all become intellectual atheist.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We cope with Jesus Christ beside us everyday and the Holy Spirit within us. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

You said something very poignant in your first post, Carol...and that is that you and your half brother will probably reconcile, if he comes back to Jesus. That is so very true. When I left Christianity, and was an atheist, it isn't that I became this immoral being but I felt entitled to my opinions a lot, and didn't reach out to people, and felt like if someone wronged me, I had no interest in forgiveness. I don't believe that atheism makes a person one way or the other, but not having a relationship with Jesus, rendered me my own god, and my own desires reigned supreme. Our own egos reign supreme when we don't look to something beyond ourselves, I'm thinking. So, I will pray for your relationship with your half brother to heal...and for him to come back to Christ. :) :emot-heartbeat:

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/01/1975

I have family members that i distance myself from for various reasons. some of my family is racist and i dont want them in my presence

Edited by Gargamel Bojangles