nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

He gave five main arguments to support the existence of God: 1) the cosmological argument

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58

Ok, to be the Devil's Advocate here:

He gave five main arguments to support the existence of God: 1) the cosmological argument

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60

Ok, to be the Devil's Advocate here:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

One point that I found interesting in Craig's argument was this:

Throughout the debate, Craig . . . challenged Hitchens to refute his five points and provide positive evidence that it is irrational to hold a belief that God exists. But by the event's end, Craig expressed disappointment that Hitchens did not provide arguments to support his truth.

"We've heard attacks upon religion, Christianity impugned, God impugned, Mother Teresa impugned, but we haven't heard any arguments that God does not exist," said Craig.

Suprisingly, Al Sharpton had debated Hitchens some time ago and made the same observation:

View the debate here

As I had watched the debate, I see Sharpton was correct - from which I can see Craig's point if Hitchens argued the same.

Hitchens kept attacking religion and how people used religion, but he never addressed the arguments dealing with God's existence, what defines right and wrong (or why anything should), and these things.

:rolleyes:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  18

Forrestkc...This is not a debate I want to engage in, I was merely pointing out the typical response to those kinds of arguments. I have played the devils advocate as much as I would want to do so in a debate on this subject though.

Pity, I was enjoying your take on a probable Atheist response, which I also thought was accurate enough in some instances, and did not go half far enough in others...I wouldn't have been put off taking the role of devil's advocate because of a little flak from well-meaning brethren....it's a bit like being cast as the villain in a play....you get all the boo's and no applause. :24:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

An atheist is an atheist because they are unwilling to base their beliefs on faith.

In many cases, it is far more complex than that.

Can you elaborate?

Guest HIS girl

In one sense I find discussions on the "existance of God" pointless when it involves an atheist. That's MY opinion. Nothing will be resolved or even satisfactorily reached.

What is generally "agreed" upon is that there was a Man called Jesus and He DID walk the Earth - atheist historians even accept this - so why not discuss the "ressurrection" aspect and the impact of Christianity and could the Christian movement have "held up" for this long if in fact there was a body found or the disciples hid the body?

I think that a discussion along these lines would be more fruitful.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

William Lane Craig is a man I look up to immensly.

I started learning about him after reading Case for Christ, he's got almost as much smarts as he does true faith in God.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

In one sense I find discussions on the "existance of God" pointless when it involves an atheist. That's MY opinion. Nothing will be resolved or even satisfactorily reached.

What is generally "agreed" upon is that there was a Man called Jesus and He DID walk the Earth - atheist historians even accept this - so why not discuss the "ressurrection" aspect and the impact of Christianity and could the Christian movement have "held up" for this long if in fact there was a body found or the disciples hid the body?

I think that a discussion along these lines would be more fruitful.

I see no point at all in talking about the existence of God with an atheist. The only discernable product of these go-nowhere passive-aggressive "discussions" is aggravation. Headache, heartache, and damage to one's own psyche.

I say this after just having watched a YouTube vid of Al Sharpton vs. Christopher Hitchens regarding CH's book,

God Is Not Good

:emot-hug:

Apparently Mr. Hitchens personally lobbied against the canonization of Mother Teresa.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

I think that I would jump at the chance to debate an atheist.

As long as I pray for God's guidance and use the historical, scientific and archeological evidence he has provided us to know that His Word is true, I would have no fear of any of their arguments or objections.