IGNORED

Alcohol

pokemaughan

Guest SheilaJoyce

As a recovering alcoholic now 24+ months, I too, was one of the moderate drinkers who stuck by my famous comment, 'Oh, Jesus turned the water into wine, so another refill please !'................ However, research of my own, has shown that, Christ did in fact do that, but, the alcohol content wasn't anywhere near what is available today. Back then their drinking water was so filled with bacteria, they didn't have much choice. Plus, it was probably no more than max 3% alcohol, if even that.

Regardless of this, and of not ever being drunken, it truly matters not.

I completely quit with no regrets, as my late husband & I were each hit severely & permanently by one of the five most common/current health afflictions, solely caused from alcohol consumption and in moderate amounts too !

They are & in no particular order:

-Grand Mal Seizures

-Rapidly Progressive Blindness

-Rapidly Progressive Deafness

-Rapidly Corroded Livers

-Heart Attacks

None with any forewarnings nor any cures at this time.

We've allowed this scourge to destroy our lives, and our youth, unfortunately, are following directly in our footsteps.

Just a month ago, USA Medical Survey found that 7.3 Million teens admit to drinking daily, so just imagine what the truth is !

In addition, this past February, USA/CDN Medical information released, on the new definition of 'Moderate Drinking' - should be no more than 1-2 per week max.

Many of us are still trying to convince our Government Officials for mandatory health warning labels on all liquor containers, hoping that it will at least prevent half of our youth from this trail towards their health destruction. We've yet to receive any sort of positive reply !

If we don't warn our youth, tell me...........whats going to happen when all us old sods are in nursing homes.....who will assume/take over all our professions ? If our youth have already destroyed their health & futures ???

May God have mercy on us all.

Paul warned of 'drunkeness'....

Romans 13:13

13Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.

also in Titus...

Titus 1:7

7Since an overseer[a] is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Moderate drinking for men is no more than 2 drinks and not every day, also this should be done with food. I do drink a beer with my supper once and a while and of course I do drink wine during communion. I don't want to be hypocritical about this whole matter. As others have pointed out having a glass of wine or one drink by an adult is not a sin, being drunk is a sin.

However for young people drinking is even more dangerous as it impacts the brain of someone who is a teenager in a different and more dangerous way than someone who is not and also Christians would want to follow our laws.

But in our culture unlike say in Europe, we have a "party" drinking culture. So people drink to get drunk, they go to bars, they go to parties where the intent of the consumption IS to get drunk and often to get blotto. This would be sinful, even if you did only have two in those situations, it would fall under the "revelries" category that Paul spoke of.

If a person does not currently drink I would certainly not advice them to start.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

For me, anything that separates me from God is not good. There is a point when a person drinks where they "change". This is the point where one should stop, but that is only my personal opinion.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I refer you to the other posts for scripture evidence.

I will tell you what an old physician once told me, " anything that distorts time and space should be considered a poison and not consumed".

People ingesting alcohol have in the past been heard to say, " where did the time go"..." Oh my gosh it's how late" , " there was a chair there a minute ago".

Let me assure you, I'm not making light of the subject. Ingesting even small quantities of alcohol will alter perception, and there are plenty of secular studies documenting examples.

I attended a conference once and the topic was alcohol, the speaker started out saying, " when you drink alcohol, it goes into your eyes, ears, nose and toes, and everywhere in between". Taking into consideration what alcohol does to an individual cell, it is something to think about.

Last but not least by any means....attend a local AA meeting and listen to what the pros have to say about alcohol, before you or your friend embark down that road.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Look closer in the OT and you will find it is prescribed by GOD for depression, for celebration, and a few other places.

When JESUS made the wine for the wedding, the patrons had already "well drunk" yet HE provided for them to continue.

It isn't evil in it self. That said, I do not recommend anyone try it. You do not know if you have a tendancy to get addicted or not until you are.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I myself hold the position that it is unwise, and from what I've read in the Word, it just isn't a good idea- unless it's wine consumed by someone who is sick and/or dying. Both Proverbs and 1 Timothy state that.

I plan to evaluate the Greek text to see specific meanings for the words used in their contexts.

But anyways, my reason for asking is because I've knocked heads with my girlfriend a few times about the issue. She says, "I've never tried it. What's wrong with just trying it? I mean, Jesus drank wine... it's okay as long as you don't get drunk. It's not a sin."

What I need is scriptural evidence for the obvious position that Christ's followers aren't called to drink.

Thank you.

We are certainly not Jesus. The bible commands against drunkeness, thats all we need to know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I myself hold the position that it is unwise, and from what I've read in the Word, it just isn't a good idea- unless it's wine consumed by someone who is sick and/or dying. Both Proverbs and 1 Timothy state that.

I plan to evaluate the Greek text to see specific meanings for the words used in their contexts.

But anyways, my reason for asking is because I've knocked heads with my girlfriend a few times about the issue. She says, "I've never tried it. What's wrong with just trying it? I mean, Jesus drank wine... it's okay as long as you don't get drunk. It's not a sin."

What I need is scriptural evidence for the obvious position that Christ's followers aren't called to drink.

Thank you.

crown and coke tastes yummy

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

crown and coke tastes yummy

Pardon me, is this relevant to Christian doctrine? Or more specifically, my question?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

That is just it, Crown and Coke would be an example of drinking that would be a problem. It does not go with food, it is high in alc. content and I have never seen it outside of a party or a bar. I have never seen anyone sit down to a nice meal and order a Crown and Coke to go with their steak or seafood.

For us to use alc. in a non-sinful way it must not be seen as a way or path to get drunk.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Don't drink period.

It DOES go against scripture.

Proverbs 23:31 says not to even LOOK on the wine when it is red(alcoholic). (Remember all scripture is inspired IITim 3:16)

There you go there is your scripture not to drink.

Now people say Jesus drank..well then he disobeyed a direct commandment from God here...given by His grampa's grampa's grampa's grampa.

People say Jesus made alcoholic wine and served it..then he disobeyed Hab 2:15 Woe who gives drink to his neighbor

Now scripture says it is a sin to "murder"..such scripture does not negate others that say not to "hate". So scriptures that say do not be "drunk" do not negate scripture s that say do not "drink"....see.

Drinkers promote drinking..non drinkers promote not to drink generally..this is where the line is drawn in society.

People perish for lack of knowledge ..we must educate people so they have an answer to give others.

Very interesting topic.