IGNORED

The evolution of the misbehaving child.

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/jan..._wrap_the_kids/

In 1980 the American Psychiatric Association came up with the label oppositional defiant disorder as a medical diagnosis for a child, as young as three, who exhibits at least four of eight behaviours, including being easily angered, arguing with parents, having frequent tantrums and deliberately annoying others.

Once upon a time children who behaved like this were labelled naughty. Now they are diagnosed with a medical disorder.

As The New York Times has reported, more than six million American children with difficulties are diagnosed with serious mental disorders, a threefold increase since the early 90s. The Times reported:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

So what they are really trying to say is that children sin...

Romans 3:23

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

and need discipline

Proverbs 13:24

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

and Christ

Romans 10

9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and (M)believe in your heart that (N)God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

and not medication. Lord God, please raise up for Yourself bible believing parents who will raise children according to Your Word.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

They tried to say my son had ODD (He is Autistic). I said no he doesn't have ODD he just doesn't get it! They didn't like me very much.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/03/1979

If this isn't something that starts a flame fest, I don't know what will.

Personally, I think doctors and parents are too quick to jump to medicine in order to deal with kids.

(Before I get into this, the two sons I refer to in here are from my first marriage, and live primarily with their mother).

My oldest son (almost 10) has been diagnosed with ODD AND OCD (Oppositional Conduct Disorder), has a teachers aide at school, a counsellor, etc etc. In my opinion, he is just an angry, confused child who doesn't know how to deal with his emotions.

He has been through the separation and divorce of his mother and I, numerous court cases for shared access (custody), his mothers very poor choice of relationship with a sever manic depressive, not too mention his mother also being a very manipulative and vindictive person who fills his head with lies, especially about me (and that is no exaggeration).

My second son was diagnosed with ADHD at age four. This is clearly ridiculous, because if you do your homework, you will know that ADHD CANNOT be properly diagnosed before age 6. He was put on all sorts of medication, constantly having the type and dosage changed. He was later diagnosed with mild ODD, which was then disregarded. He was diagnosed with mild Autism last year, which would explain some of his behaviour and mannerisms, but he is still on ADHD meds for reasons I am not too sure about. I get very little say in medical treatment and decisions of the children, and any say I do get is overridden by my ex-wife.

The amazing thing is that when they are with us, we have very few, if any, issues. This is because we have very clear rules, and a very structured program during school holidays for the kids. We give them our time, and out attention. This, I believe, is something many parents are failing to do. They are too busy for their kids, and when the kids start to seek attention by disruptive means, they are put on medication. It's a real shame, because it only harms the kids in the long term.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

If this isn't something that starts a flame fest, I don't know what will.

Personally, I think doctors and parents are too quick to jump to medicine in order to deal with kids.

(Before I get into this, the two sons I refer to in here are from my first marriage, and live primarily with their mother).

My oldest son (almost 10) has been diagnosed with ODD AND OCD (Oppositional Conduct Disorder), has a teachers aide at school, a counsellor, etc etc. In my opinion, he is just an angry, confused child who doesn't know how to deal with his emotions.

He has been through the separation and divorce of his mother and I, numerous court cases for shared access (custody), his mothers very poor choice of relationship with a sever manic depressive, not too mention his mother also being a very manipulative and vindictive person who fills his head with lies, especially about me (and that is no exaggeration).

My second son was diagnosed with ADHD at age four. This is clearly ridiculous, because if you do your homework, you will know that ADHD CANNOT be properly diagnosed before age 6. He was put on all sorts of medication, constantly having the type and dosage changed. He was later diagnosed with mild ODD, which was then disregarded. He was diagnosed with mild Autism last year, which would explain some of his behaviour and mannerisms, but he is still on ADHD meds for reasons I am not too sure about. I get very little say in medical treatment and decisions of the children, and any say I do get is overridden by my ex-wife.

The amazing thing is that when they are with us, we have very few, if any, issues. This is because we have very clear rules, and a very structured program during school holidays for the kids. We give them our time, and out attention. This, I believe, is something many parents are failing to do. They are too busy for their kids, and when the kids start to seek attention by disruptive means, they are put on medication. It's a real shame, because it only harms the kids in the long term.

I think you know I am going to agree with you one this. I cannot believe they diagnosed your child ADHD at age 4. Wow....kids are supposed to be hyper with short attention spans!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I've spent most of the past year on two other boards, not Worthy, where everyone is the parent of an adult child they are estranged from. Talk about a wrenching enduro, and although I am not really estranged from either son, I got it loud and clear how unbelievably awful some of these adult children are to their parents. I've become aware of some studies done on estrangement and one of the glaring variables is the entitlement attitude of the children. We are getting the opposite reaction that we expected: we gave them so much, focused on them too much, unconditional love blather, give, give, give and guesswhat? It doesn't always impress them with the gratitude we would expect. This overdiagnosis may well be true, but the rise of narcissism that is documented in college age young adults testifies to something qualitatively different in attitudes of younger generations. Be careful of overindulgence and be careful of exalted expectations. Your heart may well be broken down the road.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I've become aware of some studies done on estrangement and one of the glaring variables is the entitlement attitude of the children. We are getting the opposite reaction that we expected: we gave them so much, focused on them too much, unconditional love blather, give, give, give and guesswhat?

That entitlement attitude drives much of the younger generation to be sure. Parents today do not teach for each action taken there is a consequence, good and bad. Political correctness has seaped into how we react to our children and g-children. Biblical teaching for raising children are seen as horrific and unpalatable, we turn from the bases of our faith and instructions and spoiled, me first attitude is what happens. Just my two cents anyhow.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/03/1979

Political correctness has seaped into how we react to our children and g-children. Biblical teaching for raising children are seen as horrific and unpalatable

This is so true. What ever happened to "Spare the rod and you spoil the child"? People are so scared these days of what others will think, and the government is pandering to the politically correct crowds so much, you can't discipline your kids without fear of being prosecuted if someone says something. What is the world coming to? People are carrying on about how "kids these days have no respect, they want everything". Well, it's gotten that way because we aren't allowed to teach them respect the way we were taught. We're practically forced to give them everything they want because you're "infringing on their rights" if you say no to them.

Well, stop the planet please, I want to get off.

Without Christ

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Ezekiel 36:26

Our Children Are Sunk

There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.

There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.

There is a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! and their eyelids are lifted up.

There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.

Proverbs 30:11-14

And Yet We Hope

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Quench not the Spirit.

Despise not prophesyings.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

1 Thessalonians 5:14-24

Praying For Moms, Pops And Kids

Praise His Holy Name~!

Hallelujah~!

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

They call it "child abuse" now.

Not by the "older" generation. :emot-hug: Even back in the mid 80's that attitude about spanking and all was being frowned on heavily. When my daughter was about 4 or so she took a pack of gum, after all she saw my friends child doing it, but when I discovered what she had done I made her take it back and give it to the manager. The manager was an older man and told me if other parents did that maybe there was hope for the next generation, some of the other checkers were around my age and thought how scarring that was going to be for my daughter! No more personal responsiblities for ones actions cuz it may cause some trauma! Excuse the behavior and no more bad feelings, no more listening to parents, to rules that confine one to what is right or wrong, just let the kids, and hey why not adults, know G-d is not needed or important, after all its how you feel about yourself and what you can get from life. It makes me ill thinking about what may be coming our of this generations that is being brought up right now.

As a side not the 'you' here is generalities.