Lucinda

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Some examples are evident for instance Mark 9:43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched.

Obviously this verse should not be taken literally but figuratively.

A simile is a comparison by use of the words "like" or "as

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

Some examples are evident for instance Mark 9:43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Perhaps you should read this thread...

http://www.worthychristianforums.com/Liter...od-t108422.html

where we spoke about this recently :(.

We should read the Word one way - the way it was intended to be read.

oh my bad. Thanks andy.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

Perhaps you should read this thread...

http://www.worthychristianforums.com/Liter...od-t108422.html

where we spoke about this recently :laugh:.

We should read the Word one way - the way it was intended to be read.

oh my bad. Thanks andy.

No need to apologise at all! Welcome to worthy :(

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Blessings, Lucinda

My question is how can one know what should be taken literally or not? How does one know the right interpretation of the scripture?

Yes, we can know and should always take the Holy Scriptures literally. How else are we to determine what God is communicating to us? As with any literature, we must determine what the author is trying to say.

Jesus took the scriptures literally, and that is good enough for me. :( In quoting scripture from the Old Testament, it was quite obvious that Jesus believed in its literal meaning. When Jesus was tempted by satan, recorded in Luke Chapter 4:4 he answered by quoting right from the Old Testament, from Deuteronomy 8:3 "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with mana, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live."

It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

The disciples and apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ took the commands of Jesus literally and went into all the world to make more disciples as written in Matthew Gospel 28:19,20 and carried out as written in Acts Chapter 2, where Peter told the house of Israel to "Repent, and be baptized every one of you for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Of course, there are obvious figures of speech that you would know are not to be taken literally. We cannot make ourselves the final authority on how to take the Bible because that is where the confusion lies. The Bible is to be taken literally or else we elevate ourselves above God, and who is to say then that one person's interpretation of a passage is any more or less valid than another person's interpretation?

Nikki

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

A good rule of thumb that I go by is to take the Bible literally to the extent that it can be. If a passage is clearly figurative or using figures of speach, interpret it that way; otherwise take it literally.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

A good rule of thumb that I go by is to take the Bible literally to the extent that it can be. If a passage is clearly figurative or using figures of speach, interpret it that way; otherwise take it literally.

Agreed, spaceman. A true believer will be led by the Lord to understanding the Word. :emot-questioned:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Agreed, spaceman. A true believer will be led by the Lord to understanding the Word. :emot-questioned:

You can also follow literally amd things worp out even better.

Blessings

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

'Lucinda' date='Aug 23 2009,

A simile is a comparison by use of the words "like" or "as" example The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. [Matt. 13:44]

My question is how can one know what should be taken literally or not? How does one know the right interpretation of the scripture?

I am not trying to be offensive but we are told in the Word to study to show ourselves approved unto God.

The more one reads and studies the word the more, and more the word will begin to open up before them and the truth will be literal to you. I believe we are to take the word of God literally even if we can't understand it all. The truth from the word you do have and take as truth is literal to you so should we look at all the truth of God from beginning to the end as literal as I believe it too be.

oc