• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

I have alwyas believed that salvation could not be lost and i have seen great scripture supporting both that it can and cannot be lost.

what do others think and what scripture leads you to think this?

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  399
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I believe for the "truly saved" salvation is eternal.

can you lead me to scripture to illustrate this?

I'm more interested to know why people hold to their theology about salvation.

i believe scripture is very clear that while one can't "lose" their salvation, they can certainly forfeit it. the difference is that to lose salvation is involuntary... to forfeit one's own salvation takes an act of will... and a stubborn act of will because God doesn't let ya throw His gifts away so easily.

yes, there are scriptures that seem to support both doctrines. but in order to make the OSAS doctrine work, one has to totally disregard all the scriptures that indicate otherwise. to make the NON-osas doctrine work, all you have to do is acknowledge the difference between losing and forfeiting.

and that is the last i will say on this subject, because these threads never stay civil for long.

i believe scripture is very clear that while one can't "lose" their salvation, they can certainly forfeit it. the difference is that to lose salvation is involuntary... to forfeit one's own salvation takes an act of will... and a stubborn act of will because God doesn't let ya throw His gifts away so easily.

yes, there are scriptures that seem to support both doctrines. but in order to make the OSAS doctrine work, one has to totally disregard all the scriptures that indicate otherwise. to make the NON-osas doctrine work, all you have to do is acknowledge the difference between losing and forfeiting.

and that is the last i will say on this subject, because these threads never stay civil for long.

that is a very good point about forfeiting vs losing. i had always been taught OSAS but reading hebrew 6:4-6 ias made me feelmperhaps it is possible to as you point out to forfiet it.

I do hope people stay civil here though, my intention is to learn not spark a forum war.

i understand... i was raised OSAS too, and then God changed my perceptions about it, through scripture and personal experience. :emot-hug: and i must say, i feel a strong sense of security in my salvation now, that i never had when i believed OSAS. that may sound backwards, but it's not... because when i thought once saved always saved, everytime i repeated the same mistakes for the millionth times, i kept praying asking for salvation again, for the millionth time, afraid that i hadn't truly been saved in the first place.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/05/1971

Through out the old testament, Gods beloved people constantly turn from him, year after year, generation after generation, kingdom after kingdom, and we see God continue to reconsiaile his beloved people too him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

oh yes I do believe you can lose your salvation and I will tell you why, its because we forget God's words therefore we forget about our salvation...example: look at those christians who backslide, its because they forget God's word and easy to back slide there after. So yes I honestly believe one can lose there salvation.

desi

but backsliding and forfeiting salvation are two very different things.

oops, i said i wasn't gonna get involved further in this discussion.... someone give me a swift kick in the booty and get me out of here!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

but backsliding and forfeiting salvation are two very different things.

oops, i said i wasn't gonna get involved further in this discussion.... someone give me a swift kick in the booty and get me out of here!

How in the world do you say they are two different things?

As I recall, we study in the word of God to stay connected and have a relationship with God, so if we lose our "salvation" or "christians backslide"--its the same, they both deal with staying connected with God.

desi