Kem P

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have been wondering if any of the people here can name some predictions of what type of evidence we should be looking for concerning evolution. For instance, if we take the basic idea that humans and chimpanzees share a common ancestor, what sort of evidence would we expect there to be for this? If these two organisms do share a common ancestor it would mean that their two genomes, which we can see now and examine in essentially as much detail as we want, were formerly the same genome, in the common ancestor, and that differences have built up since they split. Working on this basis, what would we expect the two modern genomes to look like? What evidence should there be that these two genomes are ultimately derived from the same one?

As a follow on, if the genetic data sets the existence of the common ancestor at around 5-7 million years ago, what should the fossil record look like from that point on?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice that you answered none of my questions. Why bother responding by just asking different questions? I asked the questions for a reason and you just ignored them.

Regarding the defintion of evolution, I would agree with the NCSE - http://ncselegacy.org/evolution/education/defining-evolution .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I have been wondering if any of the people here can name some predictions of what type of evidence we should be looking for concerning evolution. For instance, if we take the basic idea that humans and chimpanzees share a common ancestor, what sort of evidence would we expect there to be for this? If these two organisms do share a common ancestor it would mean that their two genomes, which we can see now and examine in essentially as much detail as we want, were formerly the same genome, in the common ancestor, and that differences have built up since they split. Working on this basis, what would we expect the two modern genomes to look like? What evidence should there be that these two genomes are ultimately derived from the same one?

As a follow on, if the genetic data sets the existence of the common ancestor at around 5-7 million years ago, what should the fossil record look like from that point on?

I would expect, if we shared a common ancestor, to find hybrids at some point. If a group splits into two genomes you wouldn't suddenly see two species. It would seem that there would be interbreeding for ages. I'm not aware of any fossils that show this. Do they exist?

Why would you expect hybrids, and how would you ever tell that they were in fact hybrids? What is being proposed is that 5-7 million years ago, there lived a population of apes that separated; one group became isolated from the other over time until they were no longer interbreeding. Let's call these two groups which split from each other so that they were no longer the same species, Group 1 and Group 2. Over time Group 1 and Group 2 became gradually more different. We are now 5-7 million years on from the split and the only extant descendents of Group 1 are humans, while the only extant descendents of Group 2 are chimps*.

*There are actually two species of chimpanzees; the Common Chimpanzee and the Bonobo. These two lineages separated from one another maybe a million years ago.

Edited by Kem P

I notice that you answered none of my questions. Why bother responding by just asking different questions? I asked the questions for a reason and you just ignored them.

Regarding the defintion of evolution, I would agree with the NCSE - http://ncselegacy.org/evolution/education/defining-evolution .

Before I will respond to your questions you will have to define your vague terminology and you haven

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Before I will respond to your questions you will have to define your vague terminology and you haven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Before I will respond to your questions you will have to define your vague terminology and you haven't done that yet. "Anti-evolutionists" is not a term of science or a biblical term so I will ask again - please define "anti-evolutionists"? No one who understands science rejects biological evolution as science. Do you agree with Newton - did the sun, planets, and comets, etc. proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being? If you disagree - why do you disagree? Was Newton a "good scientist" in your estimation?

The bolded area is not true, there are many who understand science and do reject it. There are alot of assumptions in accepting the evolution. Just as there is a lot of faith involved with accepting creationism. Personally I don't see the logic in arguing either side as neither can provide proof in the form of science.

True; but that is not going to stop people from trying! :whistling:

.... the people here can name some predictions of what type of evidence we should be looking for concerning evolution ....

None Will Be Found In Real Science

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

Ecclesiastes 3:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

A

By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalms 33:6

Good Prediction

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:13

Or A Bad

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Colossians 2:8

End To The Faithless

Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come.

John 7:34

Either The Good Gift Of Faith

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Jeremiah 17:7

The Evidence Of Truth

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:1

Of God's Grace

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Of Jesus

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

John 11:25-27

Or Not

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Hebrews 10:29

>>>>>()<<<<<

Is This Your Predicted Future Man Of Science So Called

Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

John 9:41

Or Is This Your Predicted Future Beloved Of The KING

His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Matthew 25:23

Be Wise, Guy

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  175
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

.... the people here can name some predictions of what type of evidence we should be looking for concerning evolution ....

None Will Be Found In Real Science

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

Ecclesiastes 3:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

A

By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalms 33:6

Good Prediction

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:13

Or A Bad

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Colossians 2:8

End To The Faithless

Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come.

John 7:34

Either The Good Gift Of Faith

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Jeremiah 17:7

The Evidence Of Truth

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:1

Of God's Grace

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Of Jesus

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

John 11:25-27

Or Not

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Hebrews 10:29

>>>>>()<<<<<

Is This Your Predicted Future Man Of Science So Called

Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

John 9:41

Or Is This Your Predicted Future Beloved Of The KING

His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Matthew 25:23

Be Wise, Guy

Another great post from FJ. Keep it up, big guy!

We all need a bit of that from time to time. Shiloh needs it a whole lot - can you send some his way?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

They are one and the same