• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

An acquaintance of mine shot himself today.

He committed suicide. He sent out an SMS, drove to a secluded corner of the reserve in which I work, a lovely cool wooded area alongside the estuary, and at about 3 pm, put his 9mm issue pistol to his head and shot himself.

His name was Anton James; he left a wife and three children in their teens. We don

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

An acquaintance of mine shot himself today.

He committed suicide. He sent out an SMS, drove to a secluded corner of the reserve in which I work, a lovely cool wooded area alongside the estuary, and at about 3 pm, put his 9mm issue pistol to his head and shot himself.

His name was Anton James; he left a wife and three children in their teens. We don't know yet what drove him to do it. He seemed so normal to the people who spoke to him this morning.

It was not the first time I have experienced the violent death of someone I knew, or someone close to me who I worked with. In what I used to do it came with the territory.

But this time was different. This time there was Jesus. Before there had not been. Now there was. I automatically started praying, and here's the thing, here's the dilemma I faced two seconds into the prayer. Anton was not saved. On the contrary, he was a hard drinking hard living man who did not know Jesus at all. I started praying for Anton, driving my vehicle to the scene, and I ran out of what to say to Jesus. I started by asking Jesus to accept Anton into His arms, but then thought, why? I know he was not saved, he did not know Jesus, and so my prayer really meant nothing? Because everything we are taught, everything we read in the bible tells us that the unsaved are lost? And this was a suicide.

Of course I can pray for his family, and will, but for Anton? What do I say?

There is really nothing I can say, is there? I do not grieve for Anton; he was not a close friend. I am sad yes, and confused as to why he took his life, but I do not grieve.

It made me think. We are here one minute and can be gone the next. Life goes on around me as if Anton had never existed in the first place (except of course for his family).

And I thank God for His saving grace, and the fact that my future is not uncertain.

And the prayer became my own, and the prayer became worship, and thanks.

And Anton? Well Anton is dead.

It's that certain is it not?

I have just got home after helping clean up the mess of the day. So help me understand what I should be feeling, because I am uncertain.

You're right on with your thoughts above...we cannot pray for the dead, fez. Praying for his family is the way to go and helping them out if you can. Are they saved? If not, maybe you could work toward bringing them to the Lord. Like any true Christian, your first thought was Jesus.....that's how it should be. I will pray for this man's family.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

So help me understand what I should be feeling, because I am uncertain.

Hey, Fez -

Feelings just are.

I don't know if there really is a "should" feel. What you described is pretty normal. Death touches something spiritual inside all of us.

We can't help but "feel" a sense of grief, a sense of loss, a sense of "this just shouldn't be" or "why?" or ... confusion.

You wish he could be with Jesus - because even the Lord desires all men to be saved. But we know, sadly, that just can't be.

And so you are left with the aftermath - a spirit/soul has been taken from this life, from our lives. We feel that. A person is lost from the Lord for eternity. We grieve that.

All you can do is talk to the Lord about it what you are feeling, worship Him and find comfort in Him, and pray for his family, and pray that somehow the Lord may be glorified through this.

Prayers

So help me understand what I should be feeling, because I am uncertain.

Hey, Fez -

Feelings just are.

I don't know if there really is a "should" feel. What you described is pretty normal. Death touches something spiritual inside all of us.

We can't help but "feel" a sense of grief, a sense of loss, a sense of "this just shouldn't be" or "why?" or ... confusion.

You wish he could be with Jesus - because even the Lord desires all men to be saved. But we know, sadly, that just can't be.

And so you are left with the aftermath - a spirit/soul has been taken from this life, from our lives. We feel that. A person is lost from the Lord for eternity. We grieve that.

All you can do is talk to the Lord about it what you are feeling, worship Him and find comfort in Him, and pray for his family, and pray that somehow the Lord may be glorified through this.

Prayers

Thank you Nebula, for putting into words that which I could not.

Blessings

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You're welcome. :noidea:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

:blink:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Fez,

I think you are very normal to feel as you do. Do what you can to help his family - and pray that they be comforted and that they turn to Jesus during this terrible tragedy. I also pray for you - to be comforted and to receive peace from the Lord. God Bless you, Fez - what a mighty heart you have for God. I pray for this family also and that they find peace. :blink:

Fez,

I think you are very normal to feel as you do. Do what you can to help his family - and pray that they be comforted and that they turn to Jesus during this terrible tragedy. I also pray for you - to be comforted and to receive peace from the Lord. God Bless you, Fez - what a mighty heart you have for God. I pray for this family also and that they find peace. :blink:

You are such a rock, you know that don't you K :laugh:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

After reading your post I was moved to look at Matthew8:22 and Luke9:60 and then read the commentaries for those verses.

You my friend are NOT spiritually dead, so you are to concern yourself with the living, and commissioned to spread the Gospel.

I'm familiar with that weird feeling of void when someone living in sin has passed. I have no good answer for you other than to rejoice in the Lord and continue His work.

Anton's time is done, see to the others.

Grace and Peace

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Why can't we pray for the soul of a person who is dead?