• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sounds crazy, huh?

It's weird because I thought the 'invasion' of worship music to infiltrate the Christian music scene was a great thing.

But now?

Sigh. Before, the fringe worship albums and those singing worship songs were worship-leading. Now days it seems like most musicians and singers are worship entertaining.

I'm finding myself missing the praise and worship choruses we used to sing in church and around the campfire. They were so simple. I've been listening to a tape I put together of a praise/worship series that came out in the 70's, and I noticed how creative the producers were with vocals and instruments. Each song highlighted different vocals (solos, choruses, men, women) either as a whole or intermixing them, and each song highlighted different instruments, giving each song a unique flavor to it. You can actually discern each instrument played, and sometimes one is more noticeably dominant - but it's different each time.

Also with the old praise/worship choruses, there was no "way" to play the song. Each worship leader was free to create his or her own way of playing.

Now days, we have complex songs played to mimic the way it was recorded (more often than not), the instrumentation sounds more like noise than a collection of instruments . . . and what is with praise songs being composed in minor keys? I don't care that minor keys are the popular style of music these days, it drags the mood down, which is out of place for worship.

Sorry if you don't understand what I'm saying, but I just felt the need to rant a little.

:emot-hug:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Sounds crazy, huh?

It's weird because I thought the 'invasion' of worship music to infiltrate the Christian music scene was a great thing.

But now?

Sigh. Before, the fringe worship albums and those singing worship songs were worship-leading. Now days it seems like most musicians and singers are worship entertaining.

I'm finding myself missing the praise and worship choruses we used to sing in church and around the campfire. They were so simple. I've been listening to a tape I put together of a praise/worship series that came out in the 70's, and I noticed how creative the producers were with vocals and instruments. Each song highlighted different vocals (solos, choruses, men, women) either as a whole or intermixing them, and each song highlighted different instruments, giving each song a unique flavor to it. You can actually discern each instrument played, and sometimes one is more noticeably dominant - but it's different each time.

Also with the old praise/worship choruses, there was no "way" to play the song. Each worship leader was free to create his or her own way of playing.

Now days, we have complex songs played to mimic the way it was recorded (more often than not), the instrumentation sounds more like noise than a collection of instruments . . . and what is with praise songs being composed in minor keys? I don't care that minor keys are the popular style of music these days, it drags the mood down, which is out of place for worship.

Sorry if you don't understand what I'm saying, but I just felt the need to rant a little.

Are you talking about the Contemporary artists like Mercy Me and Third Day? Or the modern Gospel stuff?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

I totally get that. I have been off worship music for a while now. I really do get that concert feeling when I listen to it. Like it was designed to be entertaining to me and not worship for Him.

The whole idea of worship has (IMHO) been narrowed by the church into meaning "singing a song". As the aussies would say (and understand)... Not happy Jan!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I thought I was the odd man out here. For the past year or two, I have not listened to any new Christian songs. Why? Because I can't tell them apart from the other radio stations. I miss the old music also. I also have found a new liking for a cappella.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

A lot of it, in how it is constructed or created, is just boring to my taste. Hate to say it....

The message is good, but it bores me.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

There is a beautiful song out by Daniel O'Donnell called Be Not Afraid. I don't know how old it is but I just discovered it a couple months ago.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Sounds crazy, huh?

But now?

Totally Understand. Totally Agree.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I like a lot of the music out now. Any good worship leader can change a song to have it played the way they want it to be played. Right now, I really enjoy listening to Todd Agnew. He has some good worship songs and songs that are just fun to listen to with a good message.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Sounds crazy, huh?

But now?

I'm totally in agreement with your post. I have been saved for longer than most of you have been born, so I've been around a while. A lot of this modern music is just pathetic and I have to wonder if the music is being worshipped instead of God. I didn't say all, I said a lot. The bible says God must be worshiped in spirit and truth. His worship brings joy, not a down feeling. I was married to a musician who won a scholarship in music and I do know what real music is and isn't. These minor chords sound like a funeral dirge to me.

If the song was not inspired by the spirit of God, then what spirit inspired it? A carnal christian trying to find God? yes, I have heard "worship songs" where the lyrics were asking if God were real, where was he, etc. I hate singing the same chorus 150 times, over and over, like a mantra. Especially when the spirit of God is not moving among the people, just some half-hypnotized group of folks swaying around for untold amounts of time. I cannot feel one thing in my spirit when I get in a church service like this. I've tried to, but I can't and I can't even think about God when I have to suffer through some types of music except to ask him for mercy on me to endure.

Can people even tell the difference between the spirit of God anymore? What we need is a red-hot revival of God's spirit in our churches and music.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

sounds like a personall problem :emot-hug: