• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Can someone explain how one can blaspheme the holy spirit?

When It was spoken of by Christ and the context:

Matt 12:22-24

22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, "Could this be the Son of David?" 24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons."

NKJV

Point- The miracles being performed by Our Lord were of the evidence of irrefutable happenstance... they could not be denied by His enemies, the religious leaders of that day, so they claimed His power to be that of satan. It was these signs and wonders that He performed were for the purpose to identify Him as the God man and His Father was performing out of the Son power able to cause to be that which no other being could do-

John 14:10-11

10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

NKJV

So the Lord is performing signs to accredit Him as God and the lie is born that it is satan's power which is at work. Note- satan has no power as to miracles taught in the O.T.- yet -

by those who claimed ability to teach and know the Scriptures... Do you suppose they knew they were without Scriptural evidence to backup the claim they just made?

Theology proper:

The Particulars Of God's Testimony

The Father also testified to the Son through the ministry of the Spirit, who is the truth (cf. John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13). The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth in that He is true and, therefore, the source and revealer of divine truth (1 Peter 1:12; cf. Acts 1:16; 28:25; Heb 3:7; 10:15-17), particularly about Jesus Christ (John 15:26). The Spirit was involved at Jesus' conception (Matt 1:18,20; Luke 1:35), baptism (Matt 3:16), temptation (Mark 1:12; Luke 4:1), and throughout His ministry. Peter said to those gathered in Cornelius's house, "You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him" (Acts 10:38; cf. Matt 12:28; Luke 4:14; John 3:34). Because the Holy Spirit empowered Jesus for ministry, to attribute Christ's miraculous works to Satan was to blaspheme the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:28-30). Jesus always did the will of the Father in the power of the Spirit.

(from The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Copyright

Guest shiloh357
Apostasy! Well you cant find anywhere that is what Hebrews is saying.
Virtually every Bible Scholar/teacher will tell you that it is THE classic text on apostasy. I don't know what rock you have been living under, but Hebrews 10 is about those who assent to to faith and then reject it which is the textbook definition of apostasy.

Also that does not explain (Acts 5:1-11),
They were lying to the Holy Spirit as I stated previously. Blasphemy is different. Blasphemy is when you attempt to publically injure and defame the reputation of the Holy Spirit.

The ONLY people in Scripture who were accused of blaspheming the Holy Spirit were unbelievers who accused Jesus of doing His miracles by the power of Beelzebub. THAT is what blasphemy is. You need to learn the difference between lying to the Holy Spirit and blaspheming Him.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Let me ask you something. A Christian whom Jesus has made his home in has been living the Word of God, and is telling God/Holy Spirit that he or she loves him. Then that person deliberately commits a sin. Now that person is telling God/Holy Spirit that no I love Satan/sin. That is one terrible insult to the Holy Spirit. I believe that is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What do you think?

1 John 1:8 - 2:2

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. 1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous ; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins ; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Romans 7

14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand ; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh ; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death ? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord ! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

When it is my thread then I will look for your contribution.

2 Timothy 2

24 The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, 25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition,

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

The ONLY people in Scripture who were accused of blaspheming the Holy Spirit were unbelievers who accused Jesus of doing His miracles by the power of Beelzebub. THAT is what blasphemy is. You need to learn the difference between lying to the Holy Spirit and blaspheming Him.

That is it in a nutshell, no more, no less. People tend to give credence to all sorts of ideas of blasphemy, but the quote from shiloh357 says it all.

Thankful 1, on 23 November 2010 - 03:07 AM, said:

Let me ask you something. A Christian whom Jesus has made his home in has been living the Word of God, and is telling God/Holy Spirit that he or she loves him. Then that person deliberately commits a sin. Now that person is telling God/Holy Spirit that no I love Satan/sin. That is one terrible insult to the Holy Spirit. I believe that is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What do you think?

Why on earth would our God, who loves us unconditionally, saved or unsaved, and as the sinners that He knows we are, put aside the grace under which we live, just because we sin again. If that were the case every one of us would be committing blasphemy over and over every day.

Your quote Thankful 1, is tantamount to living under the law alone, which is impossible to do.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Your quote Thankful 1, is tantamount to living under the law alone, which is impossible to do.
:thumbsup:

I dont care to discuss this subject any more until I can start my own thread. I only have a little over thirty posts. It may take a week or so before I can reach one hundred.

You don't need 100 posts in order to start your own thread. That rule pertains to the Controversial Forum only.

Just click the "Start New Topic" link at the top and bottom right of this or any other page.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

Jesus expects us to be obedient. He gave us the grace/strength to be obedient. If one is not obedient then that says he or she loves Satan. Satan

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I don

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Jesus expects us to be obedient. He gave us the grace/strength to be obedient. If one is not obedient then that says he or she loves Satan. Satan

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I do believe that is what he is waiting for. It sounds like he believes we will find his threads controversial. He has even made a statement that he is to bring forth what the Lord has told him to bring, then leave. He also has made suggestions that he may even be banned, or that is how I read his post.

Oh, is that what he meant?

So here's here to post and run?

But he wants to put it in Controversial issues, so he's digging up dead threads in order to find something he can post on just to make 100 posts?

Where is the love of the brethren in that?