IGNORED

What does it mean - rule with an iron rod?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Psa 2:8-9

"Ask of Me, and I shall give the nations for Your inheritance; and the uttermost parts of the earth for Your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron; You shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."

Rev. 12:5

"And she bore a son, a male, who is going to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her child was caught up to God and to His throne."

Rev. 2:26-29

"And he who overcomes and keeps My works to the end, to him I will give power over the nations. And he will rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of a potter they will be broken to pieces, even as I received from My Father. And I will give him the Morning Star. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Rev 2:26-29).

~~~~~~~

So what does this mean, actually?

Whenever we think of "what would Jesus do?" we think of the gentle Shepherd -don't we?

But what does it mean that He will rule with an iron rod? What does that look like? How is it applied?

And what does it mean for the overcomers who will likewise rule with Him with iron rods?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Isa 11:4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth,and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

In most of Scripture, the rod refers to discipline. Christ rules the nations with his WORD, an iron rod which cannot be broken. It is Scripture, God's word, which will judges all men both temporally (in this world) and on the Last Day.

Christianity (and by extension, Christians) DID rule the world. Laws of nations were replaced with Scripturally based laws as one nation after another became Christian countries. Now, humanistic, godless laws are being enacted, replacing Scripture-based laws, as Magog advances on every front.

Isa 11:4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth,and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

In most of Scripture, the rod refers to discipline.

Good to know - thanks!

Christ rules the nations with his WORD, an iron rod which cannot be broken. It is Scripture, God's word, which will judges all men both temporally (in this world) and on the Last Day.

OK - would you please explain how the iron is translated as His Word?

Christianity (and by extension, Christians) DID rule the world.

Well, that's debatable . . . but I don't want to derail my own thread. :whistling:

Laws of nations were replaced with Scripturally based laws as one nation after another became Christian countries. Now, humanistic, godless laws are being enacted, replacing Scripture-based laws, as Magog advances on every front.

OK, I'll give you that - but I fail to see the connection with my question.

Why "iron"? And what does it mean that the rod is made of iron rather than some other material?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Strength. Iron was the strongest metal known at the time. God's Word does not bend. It breaks other things.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

The way i see it is thusly, and i may be incorrect, if so i am sorry.

When Jesus first came to earth born in the manger he came to offer forgivness of sins through His shed blood.

Well when he comes back, the offer expires and he comes to judge the quick and the dead and to extablish his kingdom which will have no end.

Paul compares workers of inequity as vessels of dishonor, so it would seem-to me-that when Christ returns he will use his rod todestroy the vessels of dishonor, leaving only the true faithful christians behind.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The general consensus between the commentaries I have read is that "iron rod" refers to a strong unbreakable dominion over the enemies.

Here is Gill's commentary on the Rev 12:5 passage

Rev 12:5

And she brought forth a man child - Representing, according to the view above taken, the church in its increase and prosperity - as if a child were born that was to rule over all nations. See the notes on Rev_12:2.

Who was to rule all nations - That is, according to this view, the church thus represented was destined to reign in all the earth, or all the earth was to become subject to its laws. Compare the notes on Dan_7:13-14.

With a rod of iron - The language used here is derived from Psa_2:9;

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

he finna be mad and flex His power!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

just a long shot but what did iron represent in that dream of a statue that had gold silver bronze iron and clay, talk about rusty i cant even find it.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

just a long shot but what did iron represent in that dream of a statue that had gold silver bronze iron and clay, talk about rusty i cant even find it.

Can't have you getting rusty when talking about iron bro...here is what you were looking for:

Dan2:31

Right - so that's why I am wondering about "iron" in this case.

Iron was a perfect representation for the Roman Empire. It was a very hard and harsh rule.

So when Jesus rules with an iron rod, and the overcomers along with Him, what will that be like? And what does it mean for us in dealing with politics - if it means anything to us at all?