• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

Hi All

I have been doing a bible study on the body / soul / spirit and what happens to each part when we die (differentiating of course between the saved and the unsaved).

Moses and Elijah then turn out to be very interesting cases to look at. It was my understanding that as OT Saints, they would be in paradise awaiting the victorious preaching of Christ when He descended during His 3 days between the crucifixion and the resurrection. It was at this point in time that the OT saints in paradise went to heaven to be with Christ after His ascention. Is this correct?

It is also my current understanding that Moses and Elijah returned to earth with resurrected bodies and their spirit. Kinda confusing to me because I thought that we got our resurrected bodies at the rapture / second coming. I don't know greek well enough to pull the transfiguration verses apart and demonstrate that they did return bodily, but most commentators seem to suggest that this is the case.

Gets even more interesting if you believe they are the two witnesses at the end :noidea: .

Moses and Elijah are throwing out my "timeline" of what happens to us after death, can I take this as a special exemption, or is there an error in my understanding?

Blessings

Andy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

hi andy, as i understand it, Moses and Elijah were the figureheads of the Law and the Power of God and this was the reason they were there.

But i am firmly convinced the two witnesses will be Enoch and Elijah as they have not died and do not have their "glorified" bodies yet. They have only been given purified bodies so far and this enables them to be in Gods presence but they will be put to death and their bodies will lie in the streets for 3 days and then be ressurected, PTL. Fire also comes from their mouths if anyone tries to harm them and this is certainly in keeping with what we know of Elijahs mantle, as for Enoch i think 365 yrs walking with God might have a similar effect. :noidea:

This does raise the question though that when the rapture happens, do we also die and then be ressurected in the twinkling of an eye ?

John Bunyan who spent 20 yrs in prisons for fearless preaching the gospel, was taken to heaven and spoke with Elijah and others there. He was only let out of prison because he was winning more souls in prison and they could not have him killed. Its old english but his book called "Visions of Heaven and Hell" recounts his experience there. I dont know why its called "visions" as its clear that he was actually there.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Blessings Andy,

interesting question :laugh: i am looking forward to replies from others too. :emot-questioned:

unlike you tho i did not consider them to be in their ressurrected bodies as Elijah was taken unto heaven before death.

2Kings 2: 11And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

i too think that the witnesses will be Elijah and Enoch as neither of them had an "earthly death yet"

Genesis 5:24:And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Moses- law

Elijah- Prophets

Matthew 5: 17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Blessings Andy,

interesting question :laugh: i am looking forward to replies from others too. :whistling:

unlike you tho i did not consider them to be in their ressurrected bodies as Elijah was taken unto heaven before death.

2Kings 2: 11And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

i too think that the witnesses will be Elijah and Enoch as neither of them had an "earthly death yet"

Genesis 5:24:And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Moses- law

Elijah- Prophets

Matthew 5: 17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Blessings RD

My knowledge of Revelations is sketchy, so I have likely confused the two witnesses! I read a lot of commentaries talking about Moses and Elijah being in their resurrected bodies at the transfiguration but I find the scriptural backing to be a little sparse.

I am also looking forward to some other replies. :emot-questioned:

Andy

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

Do we realy know?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I think this verse applies;

Mt

Beautiful promise :cool:. Thanks Dave for pointing it out.

So just to be clear, not only did we see that in the presence of Christ is life, but also life in a resurrected body?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Beautiful promise :wub:. Thanks Dave for pointing it out.

So just to be clear, not only did we see that in the presence of Christ is life, but also life in a resurrected body?

Here's my opinion only, can you see a transfigured spirit?

The core of the Transfiguration is the reality. What we see there is a glimpse of the reality hoped for.

Peace,

Dave

Dave, I agree :thumbsup: I just wish there was something to back up the logic (so we don't fall into the error of putting our own logic before scripture...).

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Would it have even been possible for them to appear with their resurrected bodies before the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ? He's the firstborn Son of God, and I personally believe He is the first.

Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; 20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Jesus wouldn't have been first if Moses and Elijah had already received their glorified bodies. :laugh:

http://' target="_blank">