IGNORED

The Beast of Rev. 13

THE BEAST OF REVELATION - Who is he . . . or it?

Chapter 13

• 1. A Beast rises out of the sea.
    2. Power given to the Beast by the Dragon.
    3. One of his heads wounded to death and his deadly wound was healed.
    4. Power given to continue forty-two months.
    5. A second lamb-like Beast has the voice of the Dragon and is in authority over the Seven-Headed Beast.
    6. The Number of the Beast.

In seeking to understand the meaning of this prophetic symbol the "Beast," it is impossible to find a higher authority than God's own Scriptures, which was birth by the Holy Ghost's inspiration and they are therefore His own interpreter. Therefore, what is meant to be understood by the term "Beast" in one prophetic vision is most likely the desired understanding being represented by the term when used in a similar manner in other passages of Scriptures.

By the angel's interpretation of Daniel's four beasts clear understanding can clearly be produced. Having been desirous to "know the truth of the fourth beast which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, and of the ten horns that were on his head," the angel interprets the vision for Daniel, "The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise." The angel plainly declares that the four beasts are four civil, or municipal, kingdoms and hence the term "Beast" is used as a prophetic symbol for earthly civil kingdoms.

• Daniel 7:15 - I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
      16 I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
      17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.
      23 Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.
      24 And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.

In the beginning of Revelation chapter 13 we see the Apostle John stating, "I saw a beast coming up out of the sea." Because this was an apocalyptic vision, we should understand that every part of John's vision had significance. The "sea" and its significance is revealed by an angel later on in chapter 17:7,15.

Re 17:7 The angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

Other passages using water to represent nations or people;

Isaiah 8:7 Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:

Isaiah 17: Woe to the multitude of many people, which make a noise like the noise of the seas; and to the rushing of nations, that make a rushing like the rushing of mighty waters!

13 The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.

Jeremiah 47: 2 Thus saith the LORD; Behold, waters rise up out of the north, and shall be an overflowing flood, and shall overflow the land, and all that is therein; the city, and them that dwell therein: then the men shall cry, and all the inhabitants of the land shall howl.

Back in Revelation chapter 12 we see