IGNORED

Are Seventh Day Adventists a cult or a denomination?

Isaiah 6:8

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

A baby believer who goes to my church has been attending every church service he can as he is hungry of the things of the Lord. Among these he has been attending the Local Adventists church. I told him to be cautious as I know they have some sketchy stuff in there theology that is Major, salvation issues stuff. In my thinking if you change the majors you are not a denomination but a cult.

I know they do not believe in Hell or everlasting torment of any kind. I also know they are a bit heavy works focused. So was I wrong in my warning, or are they simply another different denomination?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

I am not going to stand in judgment on those who enter through their doors, but I would not personally attend their gatherings.

It would be wise to tell this person to take whatever anyone teaches and search the scripture to see if it is true or not, not only for the Adventist, but for anyone.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Thats what I have said to weigh it in prayer and to research them outside of there flyer as he kept telling me that they told him they were okay!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

One, you would not be standing in judgment of those who go through their doors, but warning them of what they are getting involved with!

Here are just a few of the "differences" courtesy of Timothy Oliver:

SDA teachings most clearly contrary to the gospel and unorthodox in nature are its insistence on water baptism as an essential prerequisite to salvation, its teaching about the end time significance of Sabbath observance to identification of true believers, and its doctrine of the Investigative Judgement.

In a book called The Kingdom of the Cults, by Walter Martian, there is a section devoted completely to the Seven-day Adventist, called Appendix B - The Puzzle of the Seven-day Adventist. It encompasses a section from page 535 to 627 and is very enlightening. It starts off with their history and rebuts their doctrine and prophecies with scripture. Ellen White was the Prophetess of the Adventist and they take her teachings as the only authoritative understanding of scripture, much like the RCC and the Pope. The book is well worth the price of $30.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

I have that book. the Author seems to be undecided if it is a cult or not. I dont like works oriented churches or churches that have dress codes and what not.

I have that book. the Author seems to be undecided if it is a cult or not. I dont like works oriented churches or churches that have dress codes and what not.

His indecision seems to stem from the difference between the original Adventist of 1844 to what is the Adventist of today. In his own words:

"It is my conviction that one cannot be a true Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Christian Scientist, ect., and be a Christian in the biblical sense of the term; but it is perfectly possible to be a Seven-day Adventist and be a true follower of Jesus Christ despite certain heterodox concepts, which will be discussed." pg. 535

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

Yea I think like many denominations, they have different traditions and believes Jesus never said you had to believe everything the church says, and which church or denomination is the closest to how it realy was shortly after the ressurection of Christ. I hold believing in Jesus Christ came in flesh died on the cross and rose again by the power of the Holy Spirit, knowing that he took your sins. There is so much knowledge we dont have and maybe too much that is not true we poses. it was hundreds of years before the bible was even put together and, that by the command of a emporer who had been supposedly saved. How much about Jesus do we not know? Anyway I am non denominational I cant see for the best of me fidning a denomination that I truly like or would want to commit too. I am more or less a gnostic Christian.

Yea I think like many denominations, they have different traditions and believes Jesus never said you had to believe everything the church says, and which church or denomination is the closest to how it realy was shortly after the ressurection of Christ. I hold believing in Jesus Christ came in flesh died on the cross and rose again by the power of the Holy Spirit, knowing that he took your sins. There is so much knowledge we dont have and maybe too much that is not true we poses. it was hundreds of years before the bible was even put together and, that by the command of a emporer who had been supposedly saved. How much about Jesus do we not know? Anyway I am non denominational I cant see for the best of me fidning a denomination that I truly like or would want to commit too. I am more or less a gnostic Christian.

I would be very interested to hear your description of this term. I know what Gnosticism was, but refrain to attaching the meaning to you.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I know several SDA's and one SDA minister.

I honestly don't believe they are a cult, but they do have some cult like tendencies.

They don't have to accept Ellen White as a Pope like figure, they do look up to her but it is okay to say she was wrong on some things. Also each congregation is different from what I can tell. The basics are the same but how extreme they go is different.

They are heavy on works in my opinion although they do not deny grace.

For example they do pick up some of the other traditions of Judaism and say that they are applied to gentiles as well. Only meat from cloven animals, only fish with scales, tithing seems to be enforced. They are really into health as a spiritual matter, no alcohol, no coffee, no nicotine and they strongly encourage you to be a vegetarian.

They do foot washing to imitate Christ.

They are very convincing and if your friend is going he is likely getting the hard sell and they are good with scriptural backup although I think it is not correct.

Anyway that is my take. I would not freak out though there are worse things to be that is for sure.