• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I just want to rave on a bit here.

Even before my Kitty died I have been a bit down and maybe I might be sensitive?

I have noticed that some Christians have really lost the basics. To love one another and especially through what they say to one another.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this and that in Christian fellowships I have noted rudeness diguised as debate. Arrogance and Pride under the guise of being helpful with giving you their knowledge ("I thought you would like to know that what you said was wrong and it is actually... blah, blah blah"). Insincere apologises when caught out, which happened to me today. I was accused of something I had not said. It was proved to the other woman who had not read my email properly. I got back a "I'm sorry if I offended you BUT....." Then she ends it with "who would have thought you would taken what I said out of context. WOW!"

I will leave it there but that really amazed me so I wrote back that if one apologises you should do so without the extra tacked on then end. I did say I apprecitaed the apology but I was upset by the comment on the end. I got abuse back from another person who was copied the email attacking me for belittling this womans apology.

This is one example of so many incidents not just that I have experienced but I have witnessed or heard of happening amongst CHRISTIANS! Of all people I would think Christians would know how to treat one another with love and respect. :thumbsup:

Now I am not in my 50's yet but close to it and even before I became a Christian as a child I was at least taught good manners (it was a big thng in my day to have good manners). I know many non-Christians of that era who still practice these good manners. Something I must say would put some Chrsitians (I know) to shame.

Is it just me or have others experienced or seen really rude, overly aggressive, not called for behaviour amongst their brothers and sisters in Christ. Maybe because I am down at the moment I am overly sensitive. Yes I will forgive these two people but how many times must I turn the other cheek before I blow up and say stop abusing me?

I have not responded to the abusive email. I have sorted it out with the original person. I'm tired of this world and it seems I have to defend myself from Christians more than non-Christians these days.

When i was growing up you took correction, if someone told you that your behaviour was unacceptable you at least took that comment and thought about it. Only those who were undisciplined mouthed off at someone's criticism of them. I am thinking one thing lacking (and I know at times I too am guilty of this) is self-control.

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Now I was thinking about this even before the email incident this morning. I have certainly been asking the Lord to help me I have been a bit terse and short with people as I have been really upset and stressed and now mourning the Loss of my Kitty (died only 2 weeks ago, it's still raw). Please forgive me anyone here I have had words with I haven't been together lately and my self-control is not what it used to be. Sorry I shouldn't be excusing myself.

After the email incident what came to my mind is that "we will be made accountable for every Idle Word uttered". How sad that we have forgotten this and in my experience not here on this forum but elsewhere and at Church. There are many who will be very red-faced when they stand before the Lord (including me and I want to nip this in the bud so I don't add much more to my list).

Is this a sign of the end-times? Jesus warned us of many things occurring in the End-times. Is this evidence of "the Love of some growing cold?"

Just putting down a whole lot of thoughts here I'm not starting an apologetics thread. I was wondering what do others think. Are we losing love for our brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it showing in our behaviour toward each other and have others experienced what I have shared here also?

I'd appreciate your respones on this and comments.

MelC

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Are we losing love for our brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it showing in our behaviour toward each other and have others experienced what I have shared here also?

I don't think we are losing love for one another. We are simply giving in to our flesh at times. We are yet mortal, and frail at that. We are still susceptible to sin.

Remember this - all families members quarrel with each other from time to time, (try and get through a Thanksgiving dinner without some snipping) but they still love each other.

:noidea:

Are we losing love for our brothers and sisters in Christ? Is it showing in our behaviour toward each other and have others experienced what I have shared here also?

I don't think we are losing love for one another. We are simply giving in to our flesh at times. We are yet mortal, and frail at that. We are still susceptible to sin.

Remember this - all families members quarrel with each other from time to time, (try and get through a Thanksgiving dinner without some snipping) but they still love each other.

Snipping is OK I can deal with snipping. While I was taught to mind my ps and qs, my good English manners were taught to me by two of our Aussie neighbours and I went to an all girls school that had etiqueete classes and they did teach morals and manners and they were enforced, we had to be ladies. My family were hot headed Slavs and we yelled a lot. I can deal with someone's anger and get over it.

It's the little subtle ways people belittle one another or dimiss someone elses pain or the way they try and excuse their behaviour that bothers me. For two reasons. One it shows they are justifying themselves, the other it shows they only care about themselves. Which then means they really haven't got a clue as to how they have hurt someone else. Even worse is they often don't care and of course this often is found out because they will gossip about it to others, twisitng the true facts and think it will not get back to the person they have hurt/offended in the first place.

If you could snip at each other and it was OK with God why are we told to forgive?

Why is there scripture pointing out that certain behviour is not on in God's eyes?

There is unaceptable behaviour between brothers and sisters in Christ and it needs to be addressed. God didn't jsut say let it slide and love each other regardless. You reap what you sow and the behaviour is supposed to be dealt with not just tolerated.

EPH 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

1PE 2:1 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.

COL 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

The problem is that I have seen some of the same people do the same thing to me and others over and over again. I have at least stood up for myself. I don't know if my words will make any difference to their future behaviour towards me or others.

God doesn't want us just to forgive wrong doing He wants us to not mistreat each other.

Well I gues it's all too raw from me. Please forgive me.

I'm tired of just forgiving and seeing the same behaviour again and again. I guess God will deal with them in time. Meanwhile I have gotten to the point I have to just avoid people until I heal from my current depression and get tough again. I used to not care and leave things alone, just ignore obvious comments that are not right. Maybe I should just stop fellowshipping with Christians. Like I said I have non-Christian friends with better manners and even some family (also non-Christian) who treat me better.

It is sad to think that I have very few Christian friends(not on forums but where I live) who are fairly mature and in whose lives I can truly say I have seen spiritual fruit.

Edited by MelodyCat

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I'm sorry you've experienced this, M.C. Try not to let it affect you; just pray for the rude person and move on; remember, THEY are the one with a problem, not you. Most of us are guilty of bad behavior at times, myself included, but it's the nature of us mortals to act this way. We have to work on overcoming our pride and combative tendencies. The only way we can do that is with the Lord's help. Worthy is a much better moderated and friendlier site than some I used to frequent; you can imagine the others. Hopefully, you will avoid this person in the future. :noidea:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

The Benedictine monks only spoke when it was of importance. I always admired monks a peacefull life prayer and song just a humble life. Some even make there own beer. But know marriage and tuff speaking rules ruined it for me.

The Benedictine monks only spoke when it was of importance. I always admired monks a peacefull life prayer and song just a humble life. Some even make there own beer. But know marriage and tuff speaking rules ruined it for me.

I'm not sure if you're happy or sad, H.S. :noidea:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

sad and happy

I'm sorry you've experienced this, M.C. Try not to let it affect you; just pray for the rude person and move on; remember, THEY are the one with a problem, not you. Most of us are guilty of bad behavior at times, myself included, but it's the nature of us mortals to act this way. We have to work on overcoming our pride and combative tendencies. The only way we can do that is with the Lord's help. Worthy is a much better moderated and friendlier site than some I used to frequent; you can imagine the others. Hopefully, you will avoid this person in the future. :noidea:

Thanks MorningG

Just disappointed once again. I shouldn't have such high expectations of my brothers and sisters in Christ without applying them against myself first (I guess).

I don't know. Maybe because I'm down I am more sensitive at the moment? I hope I get over my grief soon it's really not helping me.

I'm not this person's authority figure and I should just learn to take their insults and not care. Whoever has to put up with them needs to take on their bad behaviour and that isn't me. Honestly why do I bother opening my mouth without thinking. Emotional reaction, stupid, stupid, stupid! What does it do for the situation? Nothing.

There is something to be said for these Monks and Mr Ed.

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Thank you for your thoughts, as it has convicted me in more than one way. I am guilty of being full of pride at times and impatient with fellow Christians. I need to step back and speak only with love. I thank you and bless you for bringing this to my attention. As a babe in Christ I need all the convictions I can get!

sad and happy