rafter

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

If someone prophesies something over a person, something bad that is going to happen (and it later happens), could this have been a curse? Would the same bad things have happened if the person had never allowed the prophesying? I know the verse which says "despise not prophesying", but I feel this is a legitimate question.  :il:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

What comes to mind is nineveh. Jonah prophecied a curse on them. However they repented in sackcloth and ashes and the curse was changed. God had mercy on them. Did Jonah's prophecy cause the curse. No it was already coming. His word alerted them and they repented before God.

IMHO when someone prophecys something bad over someone it does not make it happen and it is not cursing them. But rather it is warning them so they can repent from God and avert the curse.

By the way, In my opinion, a curse by definition, a lack of God blessing us. He blesses the good and the evil. But when He takes His blessing away, it becomes a curse, or lack of blessing on us. Just my two cents.... :a2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Are you referring to something personal, something that happened to someone you know, or just a general question?

There are several records in the Bible where people were prophesied "bad things" over them (i.e. Samuel prophesied to King Saul that Saul would lose the kingship, Elijah and Elisha prophesied "bad things" over people who were either unrepentent or spoke against the word of the lord they gave, a prophet prophecied over the Apostle Paul that if he went to Jerusalem he would be bound).

In these cases, such prophesies were for people to return to the Lord.  Those that were prophesied over did have a chance to repent, hearers would know the word spoken by the prophet was true and learn to fear the Lord, or it could be a warning of preparation.  In the NT, there was given a prophecy that a certain region would experience a famine.  The believers then prepared for it and others sent aid.

So, I wouldn't consider a prophecy a curse.  Prophecy is more forthtelling and proclaiming what is (even if that "is" is in the future) for purposes of turning people to the Lord in some way.  A curse is more placing something on someone for purposes of evil.  (I hope I worded that right.)

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

When I was a babe in the Lord, I was very eager to go see a man who gave

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Biscuit,

I am one prone to prophetic dreams from time to time.

Here is a dream I once had and the ramifications.

I dreamed I went to my parents house and all my relatives were their (brothers and sisters). Everyone was concerned and wanted to go to the hospital to see cousin Joe(alias). I didn't know why nor did anyone express this to me in the dream. We went and there was poor Joe laid up and hurting pretty bad I remember my Aunt (Joes Mother) lamenting. I then woke

Now with these dreams sometimes I am prompted right away to react. Other times I only remember after things come to fruition. I do not dream prophetically all the time. Also these dreams are very hard to interpret until after the fact in reality.

This time I didn't even remember the dream until my cousin was badly hurt in a car accident. He is a poor driver anyway. He had run a stop sign and was broadsided. He was not fatally hurt but he suffered many weeks of excruciating pain because when he was hit the bone and cartiledge in the center of his chest where the ribcage meets in the middle was fractured. Now if you know anyone who has ever fractured this particular area it is immensly painful because it is hard to repair and heal and it is the supporting structure of the chest.

I was phoned by my brother to receive the bad news. As soon as the words had left his mouth I recalled the dream and recounted it to him. His reaction was if you ever dream about me please call immediately. I even went to my parents house to see my family then on to cousin Joes apartment.Which oddly enough the hospital had furnished him with a hospital bed right there in his apartment and there was my Aunt lamenting the pain he was in.

Now I suppose I could have called him after I dreamed the dream and tell him I saw him hurt. If he didn't think I was nuts? :noidea: What would he watch for?

I am still puzzeled as to why I dreamed what I dreamed?

As for a curse. Would it have any power over a sealed servant of our Lord Jesus Christ? I don't think so.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Peace :il: Amen

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

she said, " What's the difference between that and fortune telling ?"

Valid question!

Well, from the Scriptures we can see that personal prophesies do occur.  Saul and his servent actually sought out Samuel to tell them where the lost donkeys were, as an example.

I'm not an expert on fortune telling, but I believe there is a difference in focus and method.  Fortune tellers read palm, tarot cards, intestines of animals, whatever.  There's also modern ones that are arguably fake - they just know how to read people very well and know tricks to draw out info from that which they can use to speak "revelations" to them.  I also have not heard of fortune tellers speaking ot the hearts of individuals - I mean the heart, not the soul (there is a difference, you know).

One time a prophet spoke over me, he said, "All I am getting is the word "stability."  He seemed puzzled that that was it, all there was!  But believe you me, with a certain situation I was mixed up in at the time, that one word took a tremendous load off of my chest!  It was all I needed to hear to be assured that I was standing in God, that I had made the correct decision, and I needed to stay there and not be afraid of the opposition.  Note: he never asked any questions of me beforehand, no probing, no nothing.  

That's the best I can explain the difference at the top of my head.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Amen Cat, that's how I see it too :t3:

But I know that the bible also says that you can either bless or curse somebody with your mouth ----oops very scary because we are too often negative :noidea:

:a:

There's a big difference between dreams and "personal prophesies"...

God can and does give

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I have the service on cassette somewhere. The prophecies were done near the end. I will try to find it. It was done over my wife after she started having problems (she had problems after hands were laid on her at a charismatic church for Baptism of the Holy Spirit). It went something like "Touch your forehead. You have the seal of promise. You have gone thru the muck and the mire. Your burden will now be placed on those around you who are arrogant." And I can't remember the rest. I assume those that are arrogant would mean her Mom and I (and possibly my family). I have sincerely repented and this burden continues. He said she had the "seal of promise" which I assume to mean the Holy Ghost. But she has not shown the fruits of the Spirit. My wife has continued to get worse and I recently had her committed in court. Things seem to get worse for all of us each week. If it is a curse, I was hoping to break it. I have prayed and fasted and we have prayed for forgiveness of all sins.

Biscuit:

I have a bad feeling in my gut about this place where you and your wife went for this prophetic reading .

Bro, I can't quite put my finger on it but something doesn't sound right; I see red flags going up.