MARANATHA

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Monday, September 30, 2002 Tishrei 24, 5763 Israel Time:  00:06  (GMT+3)  

Back Home

17:31 29/09/2002    Last update - 17:34 29/09/2002

Refined uranium found in Turkey weighs grams, not kilograms

By Yossi Melman, Ha'aretz Correspondent, and Agencies

The captured weapons-grade uranium.

(Photo: AP)

The refined uranium caught by Turkish police Saturday weighed far less than originally thought, an official source in southwestern Turkey said Sunday.

It was originally believed that the Turkish paramilitary police had seized over 15 kg of weapons-grade uranium in the operation that also resulted in the detention of two men accused of smuggling the substance. The actual weight of the uranium turned out to be hundreds of grams, a fraction of the initial estimate.

The uranium is to be sent for tests to the local Atomic Energy Agency. The two suspects were brought before a judge Saturday night charged with the illegal sale of the material.

Officers in the southern province of Sanliurfa, bordering Syria and 250 km from the Iraqi border, were acting on a tip-off when they stopped a taxi cab and discovered the uranium in a lead container hidden beneath the vehicle's seat, the Anatolian news agency said Saturday.

The incident came at a time of mounting speculation the U.S. could attack neighboring Iraq for its alleged program of weapons of mass destruction.

Officials at Ankara's Atomic Energy Institute would not confirm they had been notified about the material. "Our investigation on whether the uranium was destined for a neighboring country is continuing," a Sanliurfa police official was quoted as saying by Anatolian.

Authorities believe the uranium came from an east European country and has a value of about $5 million, Anatolian said. It was not immediately clear when the operation was carried out. Anatolian only gave the first names of the suspects, which appeared to be Turkish.

Smugglers use Turkey's porous eastern border to import drugs, and hundreds of thousands of migrants each year illegally cross the rugged frontier on their way to more affluent European Union nations.

Police in Istanbul seized more than one kg of weapons-grade uranium last November that had been smuggled into Turkey from an east European state. The smugglers were detained after attempting to sell the material to undercover police.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks guys,

Though the threat is real, and it is, I am staying on the side that chooses to "fear not". We are living in a day where panic and confusion are the order of the day and I'm not one bit surprised. In fact, I expect it. To me, these are very exciting times we're living in. I think we are blessed beyond measure to be able to witness first hand, the fulfillment of many last days prophecies, and it seems like these prophecies are like a snow ball rolling down a big hill. It's rollin' faster as the events are getting bigger and bigger. But through it all, God has a plan and He is still on the throne. Satan isn't going to pull a fast one on God.

Did you know that the Bible says to fear not 365 times?? That's one for every single day of the year. It is also a command. Why should a christian worry?? There is nothing that Satan can do to us. We can't die, not if we're born again. If one of us gets hit by a bus tomorrow and passes on, God forbid, that person will still be raptured and go stand before the Son of Man. In fact, he would be there before we get there, because the dead in Christ will rise first. So lets watch God work His mighty wonders, and watch Satan fall on his face trying to work his. We already know who is going to win, so fear really should not even be in our vocabulary. Fear not folks, we're on the winning side!!!

YIKES! What is Sharon doing? Doesn't he even know what the prophets wrote concerning the last days? They must not pay any attention at all to the words of the Prophets. Ezekiel clearly shows that Russia should not be trusted. Is he trying to get browny points from the enemy? WOE!!!

http://www.jpost.com/servlet....2597524

Israel worried about 'suicide bombers everywhere' ahead of US strike on Iraq

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERB KEINON Oct. 2, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOSCOW Israel is concerned that the Palestinians will try to "set the ground ablaze" before a US attack on Iraq in an attempt to provoke an Israeli response and make it more difficult for the government to act, a senior official said.

"The concern now is not about a few Scud missiles, but suicide bombers everywhere," the official in Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's entourage said Tuesday. He said there is also heightened concern about infiltration attempts from Lebanon and Jordan.

The much-criticized siege of Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat's Ramallah compound was a signal to the Palestinians, after last month's suicide bombing in Tel Aviv, that even with an impending US action, Israel will not sit with folded hands, the official added. He predicted that over time the blockade will prove to have had a deterrent effect.

Meanwhile, Sharon dismissed reports of growing tensions between himself and Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, saying their relations are "very good."

He was responding to reports that he scolded Ben-Eliezer for the IDF's failure to keep some of the wanted men in Arafat's compound from fleeing. Sharon replied that he knows Ben-Eliezer is carrying out a difficult job in the "best manner possible."

During a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, Sharon said Israel is interested in holding discussions with Palestinian leaders "who want to further the diplomatic process" and who "understand that Arafat has brought them a disaster."

With this, however, a senior diplomatic official in Sharon's entourage categorically denied that outgoing Mossad chief Ephraim Halevy who flew to Russia with Sharon traveled from there to a Persian Gulf country to meet with PA representatives.

During the hour long meeting with Ivanov, Sharon according to the source raised the issue of PA reform, the need to distance Arafat from the various PA "security agencies," and the need for a Palestinian prime minister.

He said the name of one of the leading candidates now for that job, Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen), was not raised in the meeting with Ivanov.

Abbas is slated to arrive here today for talks with Ivanov.

He was quoted as saying in an interview with a Lebanese television station that "the use of arms against Israel has brought Palestinians complete destruction."

Sharon reiterated to Ivanov that for a diplomatic process to move ahead, there needs to be a total cessation of terror and true PA reform that includes disarming the terror organizations. The source said Sharon detailed the types of reform he believes are necessary.

The source said in Sharon's view, Russia is one of three countries that understands the dangers poised by fundamentalist Islamic terror. The other two are the US and Israel, he said. This understanding, he said, now underpins the strengthening of Russian-Israeli ties.

Sharon also met with Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Kazyanov and with Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II.

A Moscow-based Israeli diplomat said the meeting with Alexy was highly significant because "he is the most influential man" in Russia after President Vladimir Putin."

Russia, he said, is going through a religious revival, and Alexy is extremely important.

Sharon told Alexy that while Israel is holy to the three monotheistic religions, it was promised only to the Jews.

This article can also be read at http://www.jpost.com/servlet....2597524

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Sharon may be doing the age-old saying that I have heard many times in the past. "Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies, even closer", but who knows for sure. I believe Netanyahu (if I spelt that right) we be elected next if Sharon is not successful in stopping the suicide bombers. He will be much more severe in his retaliation for such terror attacks. It will be interesting to see what develops if and when the Bush decides to attack Iraq, and Saddam launches some type of attack on Israel. Peace, but not yet.

I believe Netanyahu (if I spelt that right) we be elected next if Sharon is not successful in stopping the suicide bombers. He will be much more severe in his retaliation for such terror attacks. It will be interesting to see what develops if and when the Bush decides to attack Iraq, and Saddam launches some type of attack on Israel. Peace, but not yet.

Hello MARANATHA,

This would be a tough one to call at this point. I am kinda leaning the other way. Natanyahu isn't much for giving up land for peace. I have always thought that he was more security minded, but maybe not. One thing for sure though, the plan is right on schedule. I have always thought that Perez was their weakest link. He is all for giving up land if he thinks it will bring peace. I think he is more blind than any of the others. I sure wouldn't want Perez working any deal on my behalf. I think he is a traitor. God is not happy with Israel giving up His land. There is a rude awakening coming!!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/26/1968

Hi guys!!~

All of this Uranium....they are transporting it?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Lorie how are you?

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/index.html

This is the best site on any weapons that are, or may be used in warfare. I do not know your interest level here, but I am sure if you search the site you will find any answers to any questions you might have.

The  technologies required to build the components of nuclear weapons is over 60 years old, and most countries, and even certain individuals possess the capabilities to develop and construct these components. The more difficult aspect of the device is the processing of the fuel to make the detonation a nuclear one.  The technologies required for this process require vast resources of technologies that are not readily available to countries and people. The processes require huge funding for research and development. The Arab nations are now seeking to finance and develop the technologies required for processing of these fuels. The site I posted above can explain these issues in detail. I highly recommend the read to everyone. Peace, but not yet.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/26/1968

Hi everyone! ;)

Hey Maranatha, thanks for that info and website.  I must not be able to soak things in as well cause that was ALOT of information all at once :rofl: !!!!   Anyway~  to answer your question~  I'm good!  Very busy, but good!  I can't believe the events of this world...just one thing after another....no longer are they just small events...one news alert after another.  You all stay safe, you hear?!!!

Okay guys~  What do you think of the President's speachTuesday evening?  I would like to hear how you all feel that it relates to "Where America stands"?  Also the shootings?  It just keeps getting more and more dangerous, huh?  Don't get me wrong, I am not fearful....I just am waiting for the next event and then soon coming..........Our King Jesus Christ!!!!!!!    

:noidea:  :laugh:    

Rollin Thunder~  I have been thinking, Jeramiah 50!!!!!!!!??????Could you help Bring into perspective the "modern day"areas that will be involved?  And will America?  Do you think this is relevent to where we are now in history?!!!   Gosh, it is weird to think.....and yet~  I wonder......why aren't the pastor's practically "screaming" it from the pulpits?  At least, discussing it?  It seems like we're sorta "on the edge of somthing here"  like, all of us (and probably lots of others) discussing this, are in the calm(if you could call it that) before the storm, so to speak....it's almost that kind of tense anticipation.  Maybe it's just me

:rofl: !!!!! :rofl:   Anyway~  I will be awaiting the responses of my brothers and sisters in Christ!!!!!

@ His feet~ Lorie

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Lorie, I'm with ya on the "why aren't they screaming it from the pulpit" thing!! Aaahhhh, the harvest is so great. Would somebody hand me a sickle?   :noidea:

Seriously, though, there will be many caught "unawares. " Those of us that are actively looking for Christ's return see world events differently I guess. Our eyes are open and our hearts eager.

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

oops. double post. sorry

:noidea: