• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

What exactly is meant by the term 'spiritual darkness' ? (in this scriptural reference)

This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

put this way in the KJV:

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

This walking in darkness, would it be considered more the actions that one takes in their daily life or more like an attitude or belief system? I would really like to find an in-depth study about this and to hear the results of studies that you all may have undertaken in the past.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Spiritual darkness is what we believe and follow, not what we claim to believe and follow. The result of where we walk comes out in our actions. Scripture tells us we will know them by their fruits and no good fruit can come from a bad tree or not good light can come from a dark source.

so what would be an example of someone claiming to have fellowship with Christ but actually walking or living in darkness?

Guest Joe in Arkansas
What exactly is meant by the term 'spiritual darkness' ? (in this scriptural reference)

This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

put this way in the KJV:

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

This walking in darkness, would it be considered more the actions that one takes in their daily life or more like an attitude or belief system? I would really like to find an in-depth study about this and to hear the results of studies that you all may have undertaken in the past.

Dear Fraught,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here and giving you an answer concerning spiritual darkness. Let me start by saying that Christ is truth & light and in Him there is no darkness. Spiritual darkness is not knowing the truth of Jesus Christ and therefore, one is unable to walk in His light if one does not know the true Christ. The world we live in is darkness, full of lies and deceptions. This is true because Satan is the god of this world and there no truth in him. Satan is a master deceiver and deceives the whole world except for those that Christ heals (Christ's elect). We are told to come out from this deception and follow Christ. The problem is though, that if one is deceived, then one does not know it - that is what it means to be deceived. However, Christ is the great healer and He can heal our spiritual blindness. Once our blindness is healed, we can see how blind we truly were, but not before then. Christ is the only one who can remove our spiritual blindness so that we can walk in His light - we cannot heal ourselves. We are totally dependent upon Christ to open our eyes so that we may see the darkness in our lives and the darkness that is all around us. Until that day of healing (which will come to each individual), we will walk in darkness being deceived by Satan. On a personal note, I lived my first 44 years of my life thinking I was not deceived and was following the true Christ. I was so wrong but I just did not know it. I was walking in the spiritual darkness of this world. But thanks be to Christ, He healed my blindness and He brought me out from the darkness. The conversion of Paul on the road to Damascus is the pattern by which Christ heals our blindness. Saul (before his conversion) thought that he knew God and the truth. He was deceived. But after Christ healed his spiritual blindness, Saul became Paul and began knowing and walking in the truth of Christ. His process of conversion is a pattern for us all. Christ must appear to each of us in order to be heal (spiritually speaking of course). When Christ appears to us, our "man of sin" dies and a new man is born. That is why Saul name was changed to Paul. Saul was the old man, the man of sin, who walked in spiritual darkness. Paul is the new man walking in the light of Christ.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

May the Lord bless you,

Joe in Arkansas

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/28/1950

so what would be an example of someone claiming to have fellowship with Christ but actually walking or living in darkness?

There are many who, in the beginnings of understanding, walk according to the Law which is of the lesser light that rules over darkness. The law of calendar moons ruled in the life of a person in such a way as a tutor would teach a child, preparing that person for the day he or she will use those teachings in their lives. For those who are given to understand law given to the direction law points; The law is our tutor, leading us to Christ, Who is the finisher of His Father's work. By faith we walk in the path Jesus teaches, and in this path, even though we cannot see it happening, Jesus causes the law to be fulfilled in us. It is a process that removes us from the darkness we had walked in our sin. The Law identifies these things in each of us. But rather than Jesus condemning us, by grace He commands that we follow Him. In the beginning of our walk with Him, Jesus said, "Follow Me" This first part pertains to the flesh (baptism by water). But the last time Jesus said, "Follow Me" came with the greater knowledge of the Spirit in the Baptism of the Spirit. We are shown in the New Testament that in our beginnings of faith, we walk with Jesus by a means that seems right to us, it is natural for us to think that way. These things that seem right to us are governed by the laws of the moon which rule over darkness. But Jesus does not rule according to the things that seem right to us, and this becomes evident as you see these things take place between Jesus and His first disciples (we are the most recent of His disciples as you walk with Him by faith).

"If you say you can see, you remain in your sin" This Jesus said to those who seek by the lesser light that rules over darkness. What Jesus is saying; If you think you do not need Him to teach the spiritual matters which cannot be seen; You are blind, though you say you can see well enough on your own. When Saul realized he was made blind because he sought the law to harm and exclude God's people, only then did he come to know the necessity of being taught by the Spirit of Grace. It was then his name was changed to Paul. These things I am sharing, I have suffered to understand because I lived according to the ways of sin (my Egypt) before I was led to a difficult and seemingly desolate place where I was under the tutoring of law. And when I saw the necessity of the direction law was leading, that is when I knew there was no other way than to repent and be forgiven; To follow in the teaching of our Lord and Savior.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/17/1958

Anyone who says he knows Christ yet still walks in darkness( sin)" does not do As I say", he has neither seen me nor known me.

Not all who say Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but only he who DOES the will of the father.

I believe their are wheat and tares that grow in the body of Christ, but only God knows the true motive and intent of the heart. Even though we can see through our own eyes of what looks good accourding to what we interpret the scriptures to say for us as ehat is right or wrong, we don't always see the cicumstances nor the heart of anyone who is struggling or maturing in their walk. So judgement is not left unto us. However, after saying that, we are to be our brothers keeper. If we see a brother who is walking in darkness or stumbling in his sin, we are to lovingly confront them so as to reason and possible restore them back to a rightous standing with Christ. If we fail to attempt such an intervention them we allow that brother or sister to spred the effects of their sin into the rest of the body of Christ, thus endangering the rest of the body of Christ to apostacy by way of condoning their behavour. The scriptures calls that having a form of Godliness but denying the power. The reason the church is in apostacy today is for this very reason, but the remedy is ( 2 Chr. 7:14-)

Judas Iscariot comes to mind without even a struggle ...

i can see that. judas was like an undercover cop in a way. would you say this scripture only applied to that time when Christ was walking the earth as a living, breathing person then? if not, what would be an example for today

i can see that. judas was like an undercover cop in a way. would you say this scripture only applied to that time when Christ was walking the earth as a living, breathing person then? if not, what would be an example for today

For today, you can look at the cults that claim to be Christian but follow another christ or another gospel, like the New Age movement who claim to be following God, but do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God, but only a masterful teacher. This would also include those who teach that there is more then one way to God, that all will be in heaven because God is a God of love and would never send anyone to Hell. I would also question some in ministry. What I mean are those who put themselves above God, being all about them. I can do this or I can do that ... me, me, me. To be honest, there are many that could fit this profile, but I am reluctant to use too many blanket statements.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

For today, you can look at the cults that claim to be Christian but follow another christ or another gospel, like the New Age movement who claim to be following God, but do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God, but only a masterful teacher. This would also include those who teach that there is more then one way to God, that all will be in heaven because God is a God of love and would never send anyone to Hell. I would also question some in ministry. What I mean are those who put themselves above God, being all about them. I can do this or I can do that ... me, me, me. To be honest, there are many that could fit this profile, but I am reluctant to use too many blanket statements.

Thats the problem I have, because there are many. Think of some evangelists you have heard of, and where they are now. Another form, and there are many, who are the people who attend church on Sunday because it is the "right thing to do" in the eyes of their community (I know some who do it because it helps in their business dealings - to be seen as a Christian that is), but act in a completly different way as to what Jesus taught us to.