• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

:thumbsup: I am hoping the cat lovers and experienced owners will give me suggestions.

My kitten is a 10-month-old female. I got her when she was 9 weeks old. She is fixed and de-clawed. She is very good using her litter box. Except once in a while she will pee in the middle of our beds (my daughters, mine). It is always right in the center of the mattress, always at the same spots where she sleeps.

I have had her checked and its not urinary tract infections. It is definitely behavioral...

She is a spoilt kitten, sleeps in my bed with me, gets cuddled a lot. I dont leave her alone much, given that I work from home 65% of the time.

Well, last thursday, she peed on the sofa (at the spot where she likes to nap)... next day, did the same thing.... On the third day I caught her digging with her paws on my sofa and getting ready to squat to pee... She tried the same thing on my bed as I was lying there!!!

I just moved into a new apartment and animals arent allowed and the whole floor is carpeting and if she pees on it I am in big big trouble.

I am getting exasperated. It looks like she is marking her territory for some reason...

I am thinking of giving her away to someone who has the patience and space and the financial resources!

Need your advice help....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I've only been around cats for a little less than a year but what I noticed is that sometimes they do that to get your attention. An example would be if you haven't petted them in a while or something like that.

I never allowed them into my bedroom though. Might want to consider getting the cat a little bed outside your door. Pee stains are usually very hard to get rid of...

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

:thumbsup: I am hoping the cat lovers and experienced owners will give me suggestions.

My kitten is a 10-month-old female. I got her when she was 9 weeks old. She is fixed and de-clawed. She is very good using her litter box. Except once in a while she will pee in the middle of our beds (my daughters, mine). It is always right in the center of the mattress, always at the same spots where she sleeps.

I have had her checked and its not urinary tract infections. It is definitely behavioral...

She is a spoilt kitten, sleeps in my bed with me, gets cuddled a lot. I dont leave her alone much, given that I work from home 65% of the time.

Well, last thursday, she peed on the sofa (at the spot where she likes to nap)... next day, did the same thing.... On the third day I caught her digging with her paws on my sofa and getting ready to squat to pee... She tried the same thing on my bed as I was lying there!!!

I just moved into a new apartment and animals arent allowed and the whole floor is carpeting and if she pees on it I am in big big trouble.

I am getting exasperated. It looks like she is marking her territory for some reason...

I am thinking of giving her away to someone who has the patience and space and the financial resources!

Need your advice help....

Did you take the kitten knowing that animals are not allowed? If they are not allowed - I would definitely be finding her a new home or moving to where you are allowed a pet. In the meantime - she is marking territory - was she feral (wild)? There is a spray you can use on your furniture to keep her from spraying and marking - I cannot remember the name of it - but it's at pet supply stores like PetSmart, PetCo, etc. The spray is not detected by humans, but cats don't like the odor of it. Unfortunately, once she sprays or marks - that smell is really hard to get out - especially upholstery... you may consider limiting her wandering to a vinyl floored room (like a laundry room, bath or kitchen where her litter box is).

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Trying.....to....resist...... :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

Did you take the kitten knowing that animals are not allowed? If they are not allowed - I would definitely be finding her a new home or moving to where you are allowed a pet. In the meantime - she is marking territory - was she feral (wild)? There is a spray you can use on your furniture to keep her from spraying and marking - I cannot remember the name of it - but it's at pet supply stores like PetSmart, PetCo, etc. The spray is not detected by humans, but cats don't like the odor of it. Unfortunately, once she sprays or marks - that smell is really hard to get out - especially upholstery... you may consider limiting her wandering to a vinyl floored room (like a laundry room, bath or kitchen where her litter box is).

I just moved to this new apartment on March 12 of this year. I dont think she was a feral, when I adopted her she was 9 weeks old and she was part of a 5 kitten litter and the only one not getting adopted. I noticed her mother was outside, but I didnt think she was a feral. She as a kitten was asleep inside the house when i went to get her.

She has been an indoor car ever since...

I live in a small apartment (big city environment) and the only rooms without carpeting with a door are the storage (tiny space) and the bathroom (even tinier)....

It seems so hard to find them homes with all the cats looking for homes around here. People aren't fixing their cats so it is a big problem now around here.... I sprayed a product that is called a cat repellent spray but within 4 hours she was abck peeing on it.!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,027
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've had cats all my life. The actions your cat is giving you seems to be a rejection of your new home. When they are afraid or just don't like something they will start that action.

So, if the house change is the only thing that has changed, you probably need to find her a new home quickly. We had an older male Himalayan that did the same thing after we got him fixed and declawed..... nothing had changed except that he had gotten out of the house a couple of times when we weren't looking and decided to be an outdoor cat.

Lived 12 years outside and died from a stroke from high blood pressure. Vet tried to get me to give him a prescription drug for high blood pressure for 9 years...... cost about $300 a month and I told him he was crazy. The cat was a good one and did quite well outside with no front claws. He was so pretty.

But like the rest of us, he was replaceable. I loved his replacement also. Moms and dads, kids and good wives are not replaceable, (don't know about husbands, I never had one), but the rest of the world....... well......

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

Hi.

Yes, I am a pet lover and for all of my long life. :31:

I love cats, dogs horses and other animals......

..and I do know something about them.

Too bad I don't live nearby, I would come by and help you in figuring it out.

A few thoughts though.

If the cat has peed or made a mess in anyplace in the home, it leaves a permanent scent that humans may not detect after you have cleaned it (but, animals still can, no matter how long). You might think it is clean. But, no, the cat smells it. That is why the cat will go return to the very same spots over and over. Because they always return to where they went before "As long as they can smell it". (This is where the special sprays to get rid of their smell from a pet store can help sometimes. I say sometimes because in my experience the sprays do not always get rid of it and carpets need replaced in some cases. Some prays may be better than others)

I don't know why your cat did that in the first place however.

This may sound odd... But, I have found it true and so have cat owners I know, that the type of kitty litter you use may affect your cats behavior. That one that is supposed to be more natural that smells like earth, wood or dirt, seems when my friends cats used it and mine (longtime ago now but) they would start going in other places. (Perhaps the scent of that type litter stayed on their paws and got other places -I don't know.) The regular kitty litter is best if they cannot go out side. They will go where they can smell they went before.

If their litter box is not clean enough,they will choose to start going in new convenient places.

I have an option that you may not right now in that I trained my cat to go out side, to ask to go in and outdoors and never indoors at all. Cats can be trained to do more than people may realize. But, sure that cats can be trained a perfect example. Even if you cat would rather you not know he or she can be trained :)

If you have a good regular kitty litter, then need to look next to other reasons. Is the litter in an easily accessible location to the cat? Is the cat ever closed out from access to it at any time? Behind a closed door? Is the litter box ever closed away from the cat a anytime?

Can your cat hold it long enough to get to the kitty litter location? Either immature bladder control or to far or closed off location.

The scratching can be both a way for attention and also just a game to some cats. Also some need you to provide a place to scratch on, like a scratching post, if they are not allowed outside and some even if they go out and indoors. Then pick up your cat and put him or her by the post to scratch/ and say "no scratch" when does it on the furniture. Teach you cat where she can go scratch, and reward her with petting behind the ear or kind words etc They need to scratch though, especially if indoors only, or their claws grow too long. The longer a claw on a cat or dog, the longer the vein in it and then it will bleed when cutting it back too far. Can't only cut back a little at a time. But, they need some way to scratch and wear down claws. For dogs walking outdoors. For cats something to scratch on a post etc...

Consistency is vital with pets. Also, it is the time frame. When something happens, they need you to give a quick response or else forget about it. That is how they connect action and result in behavior. So, in the first couple of minutes, you need to respond, or else it is to late and they won't connect why you are doing what you are to anything they have done.

My kitty does know words and commands like no and no scratch etc. Yours will, too.

(Of course they like to test us out)

I wonder if your cat is smelling a previous scent to go on in the same places or in new places where she lays down to nap because the scent is perhaps on the fur or feet, and getting on the bedding or etc where the cat rests upon, the scent from the type of kitty litter or somehow getting the scent on fur and onto things? or some reason like that. Just a thought your cat may smell something that makes her think she needs to mark that area for herself. After all, they are territorial. But, my kitty never goes in the house at all and when she did have a cat box indoors, she only went in it. So, it can be worked out. Even when my kitties, I had long ago started to go in other places, and I changed to back to reg litter ,they stopped going anyplace else again.

>>>>Try putting something on the floor to pick up the scent off your kitties paws, put it all round the cat box so your kitty must walk on it when she gets out of the box... so it is not traced into the house elsewhere and change that often,might help.<<<<

I do wish you the best with your kitty. I hope you can figure out the cause and effect and get it under control soon, too.

Might want to read up on cats more,too, be helpful.

If you'd like to, you can PM me (private message -from my profile) and let me know how its going anytime ,too :)

Blessings,

elkie

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  333
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Trying.....to....resist...... :31:

What??? And disappoint your fans?? Besides, all that resisting might cause you to strain something.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Trying.....to....resist...... :blink:

:):):P

Cruel, Wyguy and Fresno Joe...very cruel. :31::blink: