IGNORED

The Franck Report

Adstar

Below is a letter/report sent to Pres. Truman advising him on the use of the atomic bomb.

Personally, I believe it has prophetic insight to our fate as a nation . . . . Rev 13:10

The Franck Report

June 11, 1945 - The Franck Report, written by a seven-man panel of scientists at the University of Chicago, urged that the bomb be demonstrated "before the eyes of representatives of all United Nations, on the desert or a barren island."

Report of the Committee on Political and Social Problems -

Manhattan Project "Metallurgical Laboratory"

University of Chicago, June 11, 1945

(The Franck Report)

Members of the Committee:

• James Franck (Chairman)
  • Donald J. Hughes
  • J. J. Nickson
  • Eugene Rabinowitch
  • Glenn T. Seaborg
  • J. C. Stearns
  • Leo Szilard

Source: U.S. National Archives, Washington D.C.: Record Group 77, Manhattan Engineer District Records, Harrison-Bundy File, folder #76.

I. Preamble

The only reason to treat nuclear power differently from all the other developments in the field of physics is its staggering possibilities as a means of political pressure in peace and sudden destruction in war. All present plans for the organization of research, scientific and industrial development, and publication in the field of nucleonics are conditioned by the political and military climate in which one expects those plans to be carried out. Therefore, in making suggestions for the postwar organization of nucleonics, a discussion of political problems cannot be avoided. The scientists on this Project do not presume to speak authoritatively on problems of national and international policy. However, we found ourselves, by the force of events, the last five years in the position of a small group of citizens cognizant of a grave danger for the safety of this country as well as for the future of all the other nations, of which the rest of mankind is unaware. We therefore felt it our duty to urge that the political problems, arising from the mastering of atomic power, be recognized in all their gravity, and that appropriate steps be taken for their study and the preparation of necessary decisions. We hope that the creation of the Committee by the Secretary of War to deal with all aspects of nucleonics, indicates that these implications have been recognized by the government. We feel that our acquaintance with the scientific elements of the situation and prolonged preoccupation with its world-wide political implications, imposes on us the obligation to offer to the Committee some suggestions as to the possible solution of these grave problems.

Scientists have often before been accused of providing new weapons for the mutual destruction of nations, instead of improving their well-being. It is undoubtedly true that the discovery of flying, for example, has so far brought much more misery than enjoyment or profit to humanity. However, in the past, scientists could disclaim direct responsibility for the use to which mankind had put their disinterested discoveries. We cannot take the same attitude now because the success which we have achieved in the development of nuclear power is fraught with infinitely greater dangers than were all the inventions of the past. All of us, familiar with the present state of nucleonics, live with the vision before our eyes of sudden destruction visited on our own country, of Pearl Harbor disaster, repeated in thousandfold magnification, in every one of our major cities.

In the past, science has often been able to provide adequate protection against new weapons it has given into the hands of an agressor, but it cannot promise such efficient protection against the destructive use of nuclear power. This protection can only come from the political organization of the world. Among all arguments calling for an efficient international organization for peace, the existence of nuclear weapons is the most compelling one. In the absence of an international authority which would make all resort to force in international conflicts impossible, nations could still be diverted from a path which must lead to total mutual destruction, by a specific international agreement barring a nuclear armaments race.

II. Prospectives of Armaments Race

It could be suggested that the danger of destruction by nuclear weapons can be prevented - at least as far as this country is concerned - by keeping our discoveries secret for an indefinite time, or by developing our nucleonic armaments at such a pace that no other nations would think of attacking us from fear of overwhelming retaliation.

The answer to the first suggestion is that although we undoubtedly are at present ahead of the rest of the world in this field, the fundamental facts of nuclear power are a subject of common knowledge. British scientists know as much as we do about the basic wartime progress of nucleonics - with the exception of specific processes used in our engineering developments - and the background of French nuclear physicists plus their occasional contact with our Projects, will enable them to catch up rapidly, at least as far as basic scientific facts are concerned. German scientists, in whose discoveries the whole development of this field has originated, apparently did not develop it during the war to the same extent to which this has been done in America; but to the last day of the European war, we have been living in constant apprehension as to their possible achievements. The knowledge that German scientists were working on this weapon and that their government certainly had no scruples against using it when available, was the main motivation of the initiative which American scientists have taken in developing nuclear power on such a large scale for military use in this country. In Russia, too, the basic facts and implications of nuclear power were well understood in 1940, and the experiences of Russian scientists in nuclear research is entirely sufficient to enable them to retrace our steps within a few years, even if we would make all attempts to conceal them. Furthermore, we should not expect too much success from attempts to keep basic information secret in peacetime, when scientists acquainted with the work on this and associated Projects will be scattered to many colleges and research institutions and many of them will continue to work on problems closely related to those on which our developments are based. In other words, even if we can retain our leadership in basic knowledge of nucleonics for a certain time by maintaining the secrecy of all results achieved on this and associated Projects, it would be foolish to hope that this can protect us for more than a few years.

It may be asked whether we cannot achieve a monopoly on the raw materials of nuclear power. The answer is that even though the largest now known deposits of uranium ores are under the control of powers which belong to the "western" group (Canada, Belgium and British Indies); the old deposits in Czechoslovakia are outside this sphere. Russia is known to be mining radium on its own territory; and even if we do not know the size of the deposits discovered so far in the USSR, the probability that no large reserves of uranium will be found in a country which covers 1/5 of the land area of the earth (and whose sphere of influence takes in additional territory), is too small to serve as a basis for security. Thus, we cannot hope to avoid a nuclear armament race, either by keeping secret from the competing nations the basic scientific facts of nuclear power, or by cornering the raw materials required for such a race.

One could further ask whether we cannot feel ourselves safe in a race of nuclear armaments by virtue of our greater industrial potential, including greater diffusion of scientific and technical knowledge, greater volume and efficiency of our skilled labor corps, and greater experience of our management - all the factors whose importance has been so strikingly demonstrated in the conversion of this country into an arsenal of the Allied Nations in the present war. The answer is that all that these advantages can give us, is the accumulation of a larger number of bigger and better atomic bombs - and this only if we produce those bombs at the maximum of our capacity in peace time, and do not rely on conversion of a peace time nucleonics industry to military production after the beginning of hostilities.

However, such a quantitative advantage in reserves of bottled destructive power will not make us safe from sudden attack. Just because a potential enemy will be afraid of being "outnumbered and outgunned," the temptation for him may be overwhelming to attempt a sudden unprovoked blow - particularly if he would suspect us of harboring agressive intentions against his security or "sphere of influence." In no other type of warfare does the advantage lie so heavily with the agressor. He can place his "infernal machines" in advance in all our major cities and explode them simultaneously, thus destroying a major part of our industry and killing a large proportion of our population, aggregated in densely populated metropolitan districts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

How sad they made their report so long and boring, knowing the average attention span of a politician it is probable they would never have read the report. Scientists are so stupid sometimes. They should learn it is better to keep it simple stupid but they love long drawn out reports like this, no wonder their message never got through.

Well politicians are really puppets anyway. It also shows the vanity of scientists who think they can influence how their abominable creations are used.  :)  They have an ocean of Intelligence but not one drop of wisdom.

PS Are you American? You are up pretty late at night if you are. :angel:

:angel: I belong to the Nation of The Ancient of Days, But I happen to currently exist on the continent of Australia it is 5.00 pm hear so I'm not a night time seeker.

Always interested in truth. It is good that you are not Blinded by patriotisim :)  it is only another tool that satan uses to lead men to destruction.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Went to the other page, I have seen it just before I came here You seem to be fighting an uphill battle against those blinded by patriotism I like what you said "I like God more than America" yes I think that is what you said  :angel:  I like you more now. Anyway I thought of posting on that thread but I don't like banging my head against a brick wall, I do not have the energy for such debates hmmm no Arguments which is what you always ends up with when you talk to people who place their nation before God. Anyway Good luck with them. You are not completely wasting your time people will see that debate and may be swayed by your points but I'm sure you will have no success with those patriots your debating/arguing with they seem too far gorn.

All Praise the Ancient Of Days

To my brother and fellow citizen of the "Nation of The Ancient of Days," I try to be a peripheral minded poster, meaning I address the one while focused on those that may see and hear . . . it keeps me from feeling like I'm just "fighting an uphill battle against those blinded by patriotism " and "beating my head against the wall."

I have another thread entitled Is America Missing in Prophesy?

I don't say I absolutely correct on the matter . . . of course I'm not. But I am persuaded America is the "8th Beast" of Rev 17:11 - And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

Where in Australia do you live? I felt for years it may be the place where by some Christians would go to fulfill

Hello Blindseeker

I have heard that theory that the USA is the last beast of prophesy, You are the first American I have heard state that opinion. It reinforces to me that you are truly free from Patriotism and for that I praise The Ancient Of Days. Well done brother.

My view of the beast is more expansive than yours, I will explain. I see the USA as not being the beast but being one of the 10 horns that are a part of it. I have put it in righting on another site so I will just cut and paste it here, sorry I'm a lazy person.

Letter

Lissy

The Horns in prophesy mean races of people, here below Daniel saw a vision of a two horned ram.

About the second part of your post (getting out of her)

"Re 18:4 - And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

That to me refers to the harlot who is supported by the beast, that harlot who sits on mant waters. That is the catholic church, In fact I see her representing all false Christianity. It is a call to Gods people who are still apart of that church to get out of her before it is destroyed.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days