• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Yesterday afternoon I spent the afternoon with a dear friend undergoing Tribulation.

In the process I stated that, "The Lord delivered me because He delighted in me."

2Sa 22:20

He brought me forth also into a broad place: he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

My dear friend and brother in Christ asked, "Why?"

I'm deconstructing his "why", as much for him as for myself. :wub:

He questioned further, "what is man that God cares at all about him." "What am I that God cares?" I'm a worm is what he was saying. He felt that God would crush him in this instance rather than deliver him and he felt as if the Lord didn't hear him.

I confessed that this was "stinkin thinkin" and that we shouldn't listen to the enemy of our soul but that we should delight in the Lord and confess His Word.

My start at this was that we are created in Gods own Image and therefore we have merit. We carry and intrinsic quality and that God created us for a relationship.

However, that isn't quite right and let me explain. It is answering the question and it is a correct summation but it doesn't explain why God should deliver us nor why he delights in us. Or in this case King David.

David wasn't any better than any of us and God knew his beginning and his ending. God knew the day of temptation was coming and that David would fail and murder Uriah, his faithful servant, because of the lust of his own heart.

Why did God delight in a man like David and why did God deliver him? :noidea:

I'll start to deconstruct this "why" in the next post and I will begin with Psalm 50.

:wub:

Peace,

Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. It's my honor to know this man and it's my honor to stand by his side as a brother during this Tribulation. The only reason I've started this thread is because I care about and Love my brother and his family and I'm endeavoring to get at the, "Why."

Questions like this lead us to answers, if we will dig, and they also bother me persoanlly because my desire is to "know the Lord.". :wub:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Rom 9:20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God ? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? 21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use ? 22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction ? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles. 25 As He says also in Hosea, "I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, 'MY PEOPLE,' AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, 'BELOVED.' " 26 "AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, 'YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD."

JB

Wonderful JB and thanks for participating. :wub:

The man who was asking wasn't asking why did God Save him though. He's Saved, he believes on the Lord. :thumbsup: He also wasn't questioning Gods Sovereignty. He knows he's Sovereign.

What he was asking was why does God even care about extricating me from these circumstances and why would He? He knows his own heart and he also knows like all of us that he doesn't deserve such treatment.

However, God Loves him. It's undeniable.

I'm endeavoring to usee King David as an example here.

With that Premise.

Why did God delight in King David and why did He deliver Him?

Well, let's examine a bit of Psalm 50 and see what God is after. :wub:

Ps

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

David was a very passionate man who deeply loved God. More than that, David was completely unashamed to proclaim that love. It was to God Whom David turned in times of hardships, and it was to God Whom David turned in times of joy.

David had full knowledge that his source was God, and ran after Him as a toddler runs for his father.

Good thread, Dave. wub.gif

Wonderful JB and thanks for participating. :wub:

The man who was asking wasn't asking why did God Save him though. He's Saved, he believes on the Lord. :thumbsup: He also wasn't questioning Gods Sovereignty. He knows he's Sovereign.

What he was asking was why does God even care about extricating me from these circumstances and why would He? He knows his own heart and he also knows like all of us that he doesn't deserve such treatment.

However, God Loves him. It's undeniable.

I'm endeavoring to usee King David as an example here.

With that Premise.

Why did God delight in King David and why did He deliver Him?

Well, let's examine a bit of Psalm 50 and see what God is after. :wub:

Ps

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Two points here, Paul in Romans 9 is addressing God's sovereignty he is telling us that we do not have the right to question God's decision. We don't know who will be affected by us living a life in Christ. One thing is for certain when your friend received Christ and accepted his inheritance he also was given purpose on this earth. We have no idea what his purpose is, what we do know is your friend is obligated to allow Christ's light to shine in him so that others may see Christ through his life.

Second the reason I believe Romans 9 is important is that God has shown us in the Old Testament he takes offense to the question why because this is always challenging his sovereignty. I give you the book of Job, Job was a righteous man and one flaw he asked why and what was God's answer?

I feel that your friend will work closer to Christ as we all do in our walk and the question why will be replaced with praise, worship, and gratitude.

In my humble opinion

JB

JB -

No one is challenging God's sovereignty. I do not understand how you are reading this into Dave's words?

He is asking, "Why?" inquisitively as a means of understanding the Lord and His ways better.

Is it outside of your theology to better understand the Lord and His ways?

Psalms 95:10 - For forty years I was grieved with that generation, And said, 'It is a people who go astray in their hearts, And they do not know My ways.'

Two points here, Paul in Romans 9 is addressing God's sovereignty he is telling us that we do not have the right to question God's decision. We don't know who will be affected by us living a life in Christ. One thing is for certain when your friend received Christ and accepted his inheritance he also was given purpose on this earth. We have no idea what his purpose is, what we do know is your friend is obligated to allow Christ's light to shine in him so that others may see Christ through his life.

Second the reason I believe Romans 9 is important is that God has shown us in the Old Testament he takes offense to the question why because this is always challenging his sovereignty. I give you the book of Job, Job was a righteous man and one flaw he asked why and what was God's answer?

I feel that your friend will work closer to Christ as we all do in our walk and the question why will be replaced with praise, worship, and gratitude.

In my humble opinion

JB

JB -

No one is challenging God's sovereignty. I do not understand how you are reading this into Dave's words?

He is asking, "Why?" inquisitively as a means of understanding the Lord and His ways better.

Is it outside of your theology to better understand the Lord and His ways?

Psalms 95:10 - For forty years I was grieved with that generation, And said, 'It is a people who go astray in their hearts, And they do not know My ways.'

Your argument is with the Bible not with me and I do not appreciate your sarcasm. I give you Romans and Job to help, you can take it or leave it.

Peace

JB

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:huh: I wasn't being sarcastic.

JB,

Nebula is absolutely correct and if your going to be argumenative I'm going to ask that you stay out of this thread. :thumbsup:

Peace,

Dave