IGNORED

Tithe???

anitarose

Guest shiloh357

The OT tithe is not given to the believers and it would be wrong to do so from a Toraic perspective.

Ok I get that shiloh, but what are you actually saying about modern day tithing now? It has no basis in scripture in that it should be given to God? How? We can't sacrifice, nor should we, so what to do?

I will say it again, I tithe because I believe it honors God because all I own is His anyway, and my church needs it to further His work.

You are free to give as you see fit and as the Lord leads you. 10% is a good benchmark and if that is what works for you, so be it.

There is nothing wrong with tithing 10% today. There is nothing wrong with giving more. That is a righteous thing to do. It is just when people couch it as a commandment to the church that I have an issue with it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

The OT tithe is not given to the believers and it would be wrong to do so from a Toraic perspective.

Ok I get that shiloh, but what are you actually saying about modern day tithing now? It has no basis in scripture in that it should be given to God? How? We can't sacrifice, nor should we, so what to do?

I will say it again, I tithe because I believe it honors God because all I own is His anyway, and my church needs it to further His work.

You are free to give as you see fit and as the Lord leads you. 10% is a good benchmark and if that is what works for you, so be it.

There is nothing wrong with tithing 10% today. There is nothing wrong with giving more. That is a righteous thing to do. It is just when people couch it as a commandment to the church that I have an issue with it.

Same here bro...I can't grasp why tithes and offerings are preached the way they are and lifted entirely from their context in an effort to provide a biblical basis for giving for the support of ministry, missions and other projects...it seems at best confusing/muddled or following the traditional rut, and at worst blatant eisogesis.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

So do you think we can earn from G-d if we tithe?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

I dunno *shrugs*....He does say to test Him...I think I would test Him and see if what He says is true.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have heard good arguments both ways, but I have to agree with Anitarose, that it makes no sense to take chances.

What does "take a chance" mean to you in this context. Are you trying to cover some "base"?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

I have heard good arguments both ways, but I have to agree with Anitarose, that it makes no sense to take chances.

What does "take a chance" mean to you in this context. Are you trying to cover some "base"?

This is what he meant. I made the statement that I will practice keeping the feasts and the dietary laws, and doing the tithe. I would rather do that and be told in Heaven that I didn't have to, than not to do it and be told that I belong outside His kingdom. So I'm not taking any chances. That is what was meant by "taking chances". I made the statement originally, and I stand by that statement. I do not want to suffer loss in Heaven, so if I'm doing something I don't have to do, fine. But what if I'm not doing something that ultimately will make me suffer loss? Sorry, I don't want to do that. So I keep the feasts. I eat clean meats and I tithe and give offerings.

Butero isn't trying to cover any sort of "base" as you call it. He just agreed with me, that's all.

a.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This is what he meant. I made the statement that I will practice keeping the feasts and the dietary laws, and doing the tithe. I would rather do that and be told in Heaven that I didn't have to, than not to do it and be told that I belong outside His kingdom. So I'm not taking any chances. That is what was meant by "taking chances". I made the statement originally, and I stand by that statement. I do not want to suffer loss in Heaven, so if I'm doing something I don't have to do, fine. But what if I'm not doing something that ultimately will make me suffer loss? Sorry, I don't want to do that. So I keep the feasts. I eat clean meats and I tithe and give offerings.

Butero isn't trying to cover any sort of "base" as you call it. He just agreed with me, that's all.

a.

Ok thanks for clearing that up from your perspective. From mine I believe Jesus knows my heart better than I do, and I don't try to do things to cover what I think I might not be doing that displeases Him (of course there is sin, we all do that, we can't help it in a way). I just Love Him and Worship him, and if there is something I have missed in this Loving, it is not through planned omission, it is because I have simply missed it. How can one live free like that? Petrified that we may be missing something that ultimately will send us to hell. For something we did not even know we were doing that displeases Him? how can we cover every base, when often we don't understand what the 'base" is?

I really think that in this regard the God I serve will not punish me by making me "suffer loss".

Thats not who He is.

And as to "and be told that I belong outside His kingdom". If you are saved, and have accepted Him, and are washed clean by His blood, that cannot happen.

If we served a God (and we do not), who is going to banish us to hell (for outside His Kingdom is nothing less), for not tithing, or wearing our hair long, or wearing shorts to church,(or every day, because there is little difference to the two if we live under law), then we are all going to hell.

I will say it again. We live under Grace, not law. Under law we are doomed, under Grace we live.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/06/1967

I tithe because I want to, not because I have to.

Tithing was something I started doing only after several years of being a Christian. In tbe beginning, I didn't tithe because of that thinking that "God does not need it". I do believe that the Holy Spirit convicts us, even in matters of tithing. But when I got into some financial difficulties, that's when I had the burden to tithe. It hurt, but by God's grace, that's when I learned the value of giving to God and letting Him multiply whatever is left. I tell you that in those times, not a single need was left unmet.

After that, I considered tithing a privilege, and one way to honor God and putting my faith in Him that He would provide all. He always did and He still does. I plan my spending based on whatever is left after tithing, not the other way around.

Some people don't tithe because they always think they won't have enough for their own needs. I think that is sad. Our great God provides.

Blessings....South

I dunno *shrugs*....He does say to test Him...I think I would test Him and see if what He says is true.

What exactly does He say?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

as i see it the old testament tithe system was set up to help teach the people to put god first and trust him to provide. also for most of israel history it didnt have a central government and the money that the people gave helped in that aspect-to help provide for the people that worked in the temple ect ect.

in the new testament god says that he loves a cheerful giver and that god does not want people to give out of legalism.

its way to easy to get caught up in legalism without one even knowing it

but a christian should not judge another fellow christian rather they give 10% or not, it is a personal matter between them and god, not between a person and the "church" :thumbsup: