• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Age of Aquarius Actually Age of Capricorn, Thanks to Rotation of the Earth

By Jeremy A. Kaplan

Published January 11, 2011

FoxNews.com

There are many newspapers and websites that promise to tell your fortune, detailing where the planets were when you were born and what their future movements suggest about your future. It's called astrology, and whether or not you believe in the signs of the zodiac, you won't believe this: It's all wrong.

Astronomers with the Minnesota Planetarium Society have dropped a bomb on the zodiac, noting that thanks to the millennia-long effect of the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth, there's about a one-month bump in the alignment of the stars. The result?

"When [astrologers] say that the sun is in Pisces, it's really not in Pisces," Parke Kunkle, a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society, told the Star Tribune.

And if the sun isn't in Pisces, YOU'RE not in Pisces. Surprise! You're an Aquarius! New zodiac sign dates are in order, it seems.

Much of astrology -- called an ancient and complex system that uses math and science to predict the future -- relies upon careful observation of the heavens. And your astrological sign is based on the date of your birth, something that was tied very tightly to the position of the heavens back in Babylonian times.

"When someone asks you what your sign is, they're referring to your Sun Sign -- where the sun was in the Zodiac at the exact moment of your birth," explains the website of noted astrologer Kelli Fox. As the years have worn on, the position of the heavens has shifted ever so slightly -- but those signs haven't.

<snip>

"Ever since astrology began back in 3000 B.C., we've known there were problems with it," he said with a chuckle. "The ancient Babylonians had 13 constellations, for example, so they just threw one out."

Ophuchicus, or the snake holder, was ejected from the charts when the Zodiac was codified at the 12 we know of today, to align it more accurately with the calendar. And Libra didn't come into things until Julius Caesar's time, Kunkle told FoxNews.com.

Seeing stars yet? It all comes down to the 26,000-year precession of the planets through space, he said, noting that a variety of gravitational forces have changed the position of the planets in the sky over time.

Bottom line, the astrological forecasts we've all been turning to may -- gasp! -- not be accurate at all, or at least they may be intended for other readers.

"We're off by about 10 degrees or so, a twelfth of the way around," Kunkle said.

Read more

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76

Reading people reacting to this with frustration, anger, sadness, confusion, etc.

I just reply - "I'm born again under the sign of the Cross, so I am not affected."

:laugh::whistling:;)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,079
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

LoL, maybe that's why my scope never really worked out very well...... LoL

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I read this article today ... and after lunch I had a lovely young woman come in my office who was tattooed with "Gemini"... I just smiled to myself....

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/27/1976

It is rather interesting that when you study the 12 Tribes of Israel, if you do a comparison of the 12 tribes with the 12 signs of the zodiak, you will see that each of the signs of the zodiak correspond to one of the 12 tribes of Israel. It is a very in-depth and pretty complex study, but interesting none-the-less. Just some food for thought.

In Christ,

David

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76

David - It says in Scripture that the Lord made the Sun, Moon, and stars to be signs and such, so I believe that may be possible.

I also am familiar with the teaching that the Gospel message is presented through these Constellations. Makes sense. (I mean "The Virgin" being represented by symbols of fruitfulness? How more obvious can you get!)

But most definitely what astrology does with them is not the Lord's intended purpose.

So I laugh at the failure of this idol.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/27/1976

David - It says in Scripture that the Lord made the Sun, Moon, and stars to be signs and such, so I believe that may be possible.

I also am familiar with the teaching that the Gospel message is presented through these Constellations. Makes sense. (I mean "The Virgin" being represented by symbols of fruitfulness? How more obvious can you get!)

But most definitely what astrology does with them is not the Lord's intended purpose.

So I laugh at the failure of this idol.

We are in 100% agreement here. The radio show that I gave the link to in another different post, Coast to Coast am, have a wide variety of guests on at different times. I have heard some of these self proclaimed, "Astrology Experts" many times. I put NO CREEDENCE into anything they have to say, but I do find it interesting that I haven't heard a single one of them mention this fact of the magnetic pole shifting. Interesting... :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Well, drat! Here I've been told I have all the characteristics of leo. Just jokin', folks . . . I don't read my horoscope. (although, speaking of, do you ever notice how hard it is to avoid it? That thing is everywhere!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

Let the astrologers stand forth

to save you,

the stargazers who forecast at

each new moon

what would happen to you--Is 47, 13