Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheChief

Convention Menu

Guest TheChief

My daughters have finally talked Dad into attending (kicking and screaming, I might add) one of their conventions, supposedly so I can "experience" it but more likely as a chauffer, ATM, and cook.

One of the people staying in the rooms (one for guys, one for gals) needed a gluten-free menu, so I did some research and came up with the following menu for the convention-goers that sign up (and pay) for the "meal plan."

Thursday Dinner - On Your Own

Friday Breakfast - Irish Eggs

PER 6 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

6 potatoes, peeled and sliced

1 onion, minced

1 green bell pepper, chopped

6 eggs, beaten

Directions:

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add potatoes, onion and green pepper; saute until potatoes are browned. Stir in eggs and cook until eggs are set. Serve warm.

Friday Lunch - On Your Own

Friday Dinner - Caramel Apple Pork Chops

PER 8 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

8 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops

2 teaspoon vegetable oil

4 tablespoons brown sugar

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced

6 tablespoons pecans (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.

Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Sprinkle with pecans.

Baked Sweet Potato Sticks

PER 8 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon paprika

16 sweet potatoes, sliced lengthwise into quarters

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spay or vegetable oil.

In a large bowl, mix oil and paprika. Add potato sticks, and stir by hand to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Best eaten at room temperature.

Saturday Breakfast - Spam and Eggs

PER INDIVIDUAL SERVING

Ingredients:

1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam), cubed

2 eggs, beaten

2 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour in eggs, then Spam. Cook, stirring, until eggs are nearly done, then sprinkle cheese over, and stir until melted.

Saturday Lunch - On Your Own

Saturday Dinner - Arroz Con Pollo

PER 8 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon paprika

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 green bell peppers, chopped

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

3 teaspoons minced garlic

2 cups long-grain white rice

2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

1 cup white wine

1/4 teaspoon saffron

2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Cut each breast into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle chicken with a 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and paprika.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook until golden. Remove chicken, and set aside.

Add green pepper, onions, and garlic to oil in skillet. Cook for 5 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir until rice is opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broth, white wine, saffron, and tomatoes. Stir in remaining salt, pepper, and paprika. Return to a boil. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Return chicken to the skillet, and cook to reheat. Stir in parsley.

Sunday Breakfast - On your own

Emergency Recipe

Swedish Spareribs

PER 8 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 tablespoons white sugar

4 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons ground allspice

4 pounds country style pork ribs

1/2 cup butter

2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth

Directions:

In a small bowl, mix together the pepper, sugar, salt and allspice. Sprinkle the spice mixture generously over each rib.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, but be careful not to burn. Brown ribs on all sides in the butter. Pour in the beef broth, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until ribs are fork tender. Do not remove the lid from the skillet during cooking.

Basmati Rice

PER 8 SERVINGS

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups water

2 cups basmati rice

1/2 cup frozen green peas

2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds

Directions:

In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

When rice is cooked, stir in peas and cumin. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.

*WARNING*

CHECK THE INGREDIENTS ON THE CANS OF BROTH AS THEY USUALLY CONTAIN GLUTEN DISGUISED AS " STARCH "

Unless it states potatoe/rice/corn as the starch it will be wheat and NOT gluten free

The same goes for the all spice as it is often " cut/coated " with flour to stop it clumping and the spray oils/fats also often contain flour disguised as " starch "

As a coeliac I think your menu is great but it is the " hidden " gluten that catches people out and makes them ill.... there is even gluten in machine coffee and many many drinks :noidea:

also the "Spam" that we canbuy over here has wheat flour in it :taped:

Guest TheChief

Thank you SO much for bringing this to my attention!

Goes to show just because I can boil water I don't know everything I should - will be buying ingredients here (with a special eye towards ingredients!) to make sure they are "clean."

Once again Thank You! :thumbsup:

Sign in to follow this