Guest morejesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

Grrr....you guys jumped ahead of me! I'm at school so I don't have alot of time right now but I wanted to address the issue of the original language the Bible was written in. Someone said (i think stevehut) that the English versions are just as good (or something to that effect). The problem with that is, the Greek and Hebrew languages are FAR more specific. Therefore, when you study the original words, in their original context, you can derive a much deeper understanding than you can in plain English. The English language can be very vague and general. For instance, in the English language we use the word "love" to say many things:

I love pizza.

I love my truck.

I love my wife.

Obviously, the affection is different for each, but we use the same word to describe it. However in Greek, the word "love" has many more definitions and is much more specific. I don't know all of them (and might get them wrong here but I'll try)...one is Agapeo (or Agapea i think) which means a sacrifical, unconditional type love. This is the type of love Jesus has for us. Then there's Phileo which is brotherly love, or a friendship type love. Another one is Eros, which is a sensual or sexual type love.

I say all this to point out that it is VERY important and beneficial when studying the Bible to look deeper and do deeper study than just an English translation or someone's footnote commentary.

I'll say more later regarding OSAS when I have time.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Agreed,

Let it go for now. For those who are not OSAS like me, peace. I know its a touchy issue and not so easy to tackle.

Dan....

Let it go? No offense but who are you to tell me when and where I can post? I've been busy and haven't been able to participate in this topic like many have. I have just as much right to discuss the issue as anyone else, no?

I haven't been rude or pushy at all. I'm just posting my thoughts..it was my understanding that's what this website was for. I can understand somewhat if things were getting out of hand, but from what I've observed this has been a very healthy discussion.

~Tess

You must repent and ask for forgiveness.

Lu 13:3

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish

Can anyone see from this teaching of CHRIST what repent means? Can anyone see that In this scripture CHRIST is teaching us to do for others what he has done for us?

Lu 17:4

And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Re 3:19

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug:

If salvation cannot be guaranteed, why send Christ? Why send the Holy Spirit?

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Corinthians 1:21

I have several questions regarding "losing salvation":

1. How does one become a "new creation" and then become "un-new"? (2 Cor. 5:17)

2. If we are "adopted" into God's family, and He promises to never forsake His own (Heb. 13:5), how then do we become un-adopted? (Rom. 8:15; Galatians 4:4-7) And why is adoption referred to as a one-time event?

3. If those who are in Christ have their names written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27), how does it get erased?

4. John 10:28?

5. Hebrews 12 tells us Jesus is the Author AND Perfector of our faith.

6. If God initiates salvation, and performs it on our behalf....what makes us think we can then take it into our own hands?

7. If God says He forgives..and even forgets our sin...casts it as far as the East is from the West (Ps. 103:12; Heb.9:17-18), how is it not calling Him a liar to then say He will hold them against us?

8. Philippians 1:6 tells us that what He starts, He is faithful to complete.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,478
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  04/11/1972

Let it go? No offense but who are you to tell me when and where I can post? I've been busy and haven't been able to participate in this topic like many have. I have just as much right to discuss the issue as anyone else, no?

I haven't been rude or pushy at all. I'm just posting my thoughts..it was my understanding that's what this website was for. I can understand somewhat if things were getting out of hand, but from what I've observed this has been a very healthy discussion.

~Tess

I agree Tess...this thread is going extremely well....much better than most threads about UES/OSAS. Please do carry on....this has been most productive :laugh:

God bless,

Bob

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I agree Tess...this thread is going extremely well....much better than most threads about UES/OSAS. Please do carry on....this has been most productive

Amen, Bob.

t.

Hello I'm back. :huh: I would like to add another thought to this topic. Now I know we are not Jews(well maybe someone is). Before Jesus was crucified the Jews had to make sacrifices in the Law. They had to spill blood to purify themselves. Then Jesus was the sacrificial Lamb. So now there is no need for sacrifices to cleanse. Does this mean that we have to crucify Jesus every time we sin? I don't think so!!! Jesus has paid the price for our sins once and once only. However I do believe we must repent every day. Some of the comments about the second birth and the Father in previous posts have been spot on. I tell you what. Let's not dwell on wether or not we can lose our Salvation, let's dwell on living a life that will give glory to the Lord Jesus. Let's press towards the mark. Let's run the race. Let's fight the good fight.

Blessings

Mark :il:

If salvation cannot be guaranteed, why send Christ? Why send the Holy Spirit?

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Corinthians 1:21

I have several questions regarding "losing salvation":

1. How does one become a "new creation" and then become "un-new"? (2 Cor. 5:17)

2. If we are "adopted" into God's family, and He promises to never forsake His own (Heb. 13:5), how then do we become un-adopted? (Rom. 8:15; Galatians 4:4-7) And why is adoption referred to as a one-time event?

3. If those who are in Christ have their names written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27), how does it get erased?

4. John 10:28?

5. Hebrews 12 tells us Jesus is the Author AND Perfector of our faith.

6. If God initiates salvation, and performs it on our behalf....what makes us think we can then take it into our own hands?

7. If God says He forgives..and even forgets our sin...casts it as far as the East is from the West (Ps. 103:12; Heb.9:17-18), how is it not calling Him a liar to then say He will hold them against us?

8. Philippians 1:6 tells us that what He starts, He is faithful to complete.

Tess, I will try and answer your questions. Please keep in mind that I used to believe exactly the way you do and no one could tell me otherwise. It wasn't until I began to clear my mind of everything I had ever been taught about OSAS and just dig into the Word that the Holy Spirit began to reveal the Truth. I am going to try and answer all your questions. Better grab some popcorn! HA! :huh: You have to have an open mind about this. Okay? Okay! :t2::P

1. Here the whole argument for OSAS rests in what the Scriptures do not say. Nothing within this passage speaks to OSAS. I wholeheartedly agree that we do become a new creation. I was a new creation when I got saved originally. I loved God and I obeyed Him, but over time I began to live in rebellion and I left God. This new creation went out the window, I let the devil have my life.

2. You are putting human aspects on what you are putting guarantee into. Sonship with regards to the human aspect was not our choice nor is it dependent upon us being submissive to our parents. On the other hand, becoming a child of God is something that we submit to and is dependent upon our submission. Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 10:32:33

This verse shows a classic case of being disowned and disinherited. If we deny Jesus, he will deny us.

3. He who overcomes shall thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life. Revelation 3:5

Jesus is talking of those that overcome not having their name erased from the Book of Life. If Jesus says He will not erase a name from the book, then He must possess the power to erase names. And if He possesses the power to do so, then it should logically follow that it can be done.

4. The promise of John 10:28, is only to the

• Group:  Seeker *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/28/1986

littlelady....

i'm not pushing, i just really want to know. do you feel any resentment when people tell you that there is no second chance? do you occasionally, deep in the hidden parts of your heart, wish you could trust in God? do you really want nothing to do with Him at all?

nobody can judge your heart chazy. only God knows what you don't even acknowledge to yourself. i can't tell you God has turned you over to your reprobate mind, nor can i tell you you're only backslidden with a chance to be redeemed, because that is not for me to know, or to judge.

but i have a hard time believeing that you'd be hanging around with us here at worthyboards if God wasn't working on you.... and God doesn't work on anyone who's been turned over to a reprobate mind.

I dont feel resentment when people tell me there is no second chance. Actually, I feel resentment when people try to tell me that there IS something after death.

Im a Skeptical Agnostic, so thats implying that im not completely cutting off the possibility of God, but I doubt He exists.

Since im not Christian, in my world, there is no Heaven and Hell. So the threat of me going to Hell is very minimal. If people tell me that im going there or that im evil, I dont care. Its like a little kid telling me that Santa Claus is coming.

Hence the term "reprobate" doesnt affect me.

Chazy.