• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Katy Perry: Strict Christian Upbringing Kept Me From Having a Childhood

Singer Katy Perry says she left her strict religious upbringing behind her after evangelical-minister parents left her without

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

It is very hard to raise children. My 20 years old was raised in church, went to all youth retreats. She is not close to the Lord now but also is not living a life of drugs, sex and drinking. She tells me that from all her friends she is the only one that is not sexually active.She also tells me that she agrees with what she learned in youth group in retreats that she should wait for marriage. On the other hand my 16 years old is under my feet and being tested for marijuana every month, since he tested positive once. He tells me that he is not sexually active, I don't believe him much. I did not made him go to church as long as I made my daughter go , maybe I should have.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Praying

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't know what the answer is.

I mean we let our kids listen to top 40 (of which Katy Perry has many singles), and I cringe. But at the same time we use it to talk about some of the issues that are brought up. They have to go to Church but you know they are bored and don't want to be there but at the same time they do talk about church and what is said there.

I worry about their relationship with Christ though.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I mean we let our kids listen to top 40 (of which Katy Perry has many singles), and I cringe. But at the same time we use it to talk about some of the issues that are brought up. They have to go to Church but you know they are bored and don't want to be there but at the same time they do talk about church and what is said there.

If youth are bored in Church, maybe it is time to take a long hard look at what changes can be made in the youth ministry.

Just a thought.

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Sounds like a wierd, cultic household, rather than an 'Evangelical Christian' one..........

• Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

...raised three kids in a Christian home and all were taken to church and expected to be there until they left home....none of the three are regular attenders today...All three now in their early to late 20s are being chastised by circumstances. I am believing that the Lord and the foundation we gave them will bring them back home. None of the three have rejected their faith outright, just living with their feet in the world system. Please pray with me. PKs are a target

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

...raised three kids in a Christian home and all were taken to church and expected to be there until they left home....none of the three are regular attenders today...All three now in their early to late 20s are being chastised by circumstances. I am believing that the Lord and the foundation we gave them will bring them back home. None of the three have rejected their faith outright, just living with their feet in the world system. Please pray with me. PKs are a target

Praying!!

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

If youth are bored in Church, maybe it is time to take a long hard look at what changes can be made in the youth ministry.

Just a thought.

I have to agree. I was rarely bored in church when I was in my teens. And we didn't have some hyper, "always going to some kind of event" youth group, either. We just had a very dedicated youth director who devoted himself to not only making it relatable to us, but to insisting that we take part in every lesson. If kids are bored then they aren't actually hearing what is being said or learning what is being taught.

As for Ms. Perry, her upbringing sounds less like a good Christian one than a borderline fanatical one. Saying the word "devil" is not a sin, nor will it magically conjure Satan up. It's sad that she was clearly not taught discernment and so now is falling into that whole "acceptance" mentality that so pervades our society. I'm not preaching intolerance, but voicing my sadness at how twisted the Christian faith can become when injected with human thoughts and feelings about what is or isn't "right." I pray she finds her way to God at some point instead of being pulled in by the countless other philosophies floating around out there.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Singer Katy Perry says she left her strict religious upbringing behind her after evangelical-minister parents left her without