• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I am posting this topic here because it shows a stark contrast in morality, and I can see reflections of what is presented here in our modern world.

The video comes from a series of early Christianity in the Roman world.

This particular episode focus on Ephesus. Some of their worship practices and other ways are rather shocking. (Guys - you especially will be wondering yourselves what insanity at one point!)

This sure does put a different perspective on what we were called out of, and what the world may have been like without Christianity.

The Dawning: Christianity in the Roman Empire, Part IV

Guest shiloh357

That was really interesting. The human experience has not really changed that much, has it?

One thing I learned in the history of Christianity was that referring to Christ as "Lord" was a very radical and dangerous thing to do in the days of the apostles. There was only one "Lord" of the empire and was Caesar. To refer to anyone else as Lord was to invite persecution and punishment. When the aposltles publically proclaimed Christ as "Lord" it was an act of supreme boldness. When Paul wrote to the Phillipians (many who were Roman citizens) that every knee should bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is "Lord," it had an impact on them emotionally and spiritually that we don't really have a point of reference for in our western, modern culture. It was something that could make you an enemy of the state.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

That was really interesting. The human experience has not really changed that much, has it?

One thing I learned in the history of Christianity was that referring to Christ as "Lord" was a very radical and dangerous thing to do in the days of the apostles. There was only one "Lord" of the empire and was Caesar. To refer to anyone else as Lord was to invite persecution and punishment. When the aposltles publically proclaimed Christ as "Lord" it was an act of supreme boldness. When Paul wrote to the Phillipians (many who were Roman citizens) that every knee should bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is "Lord," it had an impact on them emotionally and spiritually that we don't really have a point of reference for in our western, modern culture. It was something that could make you an enemy of the state.

Kudos,

When I was an undergrad I did a subject on the world of Jesus and the Early Church, and it was fascinating. We learned about the above, as well as the prison system. If you look at how the prisons operated back then, it really does bring another dimension to how we should bring food to our brothers and sisters who are incarcerated (lemme quickly go find the scripture). But overall, it seems Christianity was far far more costly back then.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

The death by exposure struck me deeply. How anyone could place their stature above a life of a baby is beyond me. Maybe if they all sacrificed to the god of futility, there would be no more babies to "throw away".

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

The death by exposure struck me deeply. How anyone could place their stature above a life of a baby is beyond me. Maybe if they all sacrificed to the god of futility, there would be no more babies to "throw away".

Modern culture has just medicalised it...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Modern culture has just medicalised it...

Yes, and that is just as bad, but honestly, these are babies that are already born, where people would hear their crying voices. I just can't imagine the sound.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As Michael Card put it -

"Now every age has heard it

This voice that speaks from Hell,

'Sacrifice your children