Still_Climbing

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have put this outside of the original thread because it is somewhat long and only deals with one area of the topic and is not intended to distract from the whole topic.

For me the following story shows clearly and powerfully why Biblicaly-founded governments were not intended to have the authority to use public funds to finance social welfare or other charitable-type schemes.

From "The Life of Colonel David Crockett", by Edward S. Ellis 
Published by: Porter & Coates, 1884. Now in the public domain.

"I was one day in the lobby of the House of Representatives when a bill was taken up appropriating money for the benefit of a widow of a distinguished naval officer. Several beautiful speeches had been made in its support

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

That was worth the read :emot-handshake:.

The power of collecting and disbursing money at pleasure is the most dangerous power that can be entrusted to man...

:blink: wow

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Davey Crockett was a mans man, to be wrong is one thing, but to admit that you were wrong, now that is a man of great character.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Mr. Speaker, I have said we have the right to give as much of our own money as we please. I am the poorest man on this floor. I cannot vote for this bill, but I will give one week

Davey Crockett was a mans man, to be wrong is one thing, but to admit that you were wrong, now that is a man of great character.

And he put his money where his mouth was by dying in the Alamo to give us liberty in Texas! Did you know he was married to the daughter of Santa Anna? (The Mexican General who killed him)

A real TEXAS hero!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Ah' for men like these in our time. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Wow.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

And he put his money where his mouth was by dying in the Alamo to give us liberty in Texas! Did you know he was married to the daughter of Santa Anna? (The Mexican General who killed him)

A real TEXAS hero!

No I didn't know that, I always thought it was Jim Bowie that had a wife of royal Spanish bloodline.

Ah' for men like these in our time. :thumbsup:

Ah' but there are still men like that, the only problem is they don't have the money to get involved in politics and it is a shame. If Abe Lincoln were alive today, I would say he wouldn't have a chance of making it for President. That's how deep of hole the USA has dug for itself, honest men of good character can't make it in the political world. Now it is who has the financial ability and who wants to back the handout money programs, they are the ones that will make it for political office.

The bottom line, it is probably the citizenship's fault for allowing this political mess to come this far. "Evil men rule when good men do nothing".

A real TEXAS hero!

No I didn't know that, I always thought it was Jim Bowie that had a wife of royal Spanish bloodline.

It was Jim Bowie. He married the daughter of his business partner, a governor of some province in Mexico.

At the time of Crockett's death, Santa Anna's daughter, Maria del Carmen, would have been 2.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Noble idea, but thats a lot of money.