IGNORED

Is Acquiring The Holy Spirit equivalent to being Born Again?

oak

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

And the manifestations and signs of experiencing them.

First I believe being Born Again is the same as acquiring the Holy Spirit. Why? Due to Christ saying to Nicodemus: truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:5. I will also add that Christ adds that whoever believes in him [Christ] may have eternal life. John 3:15

This is straightforward enough but when I was baptized I was an infant. This act was done when I was not able to make my own decisions. My former priest said, that this was sufficient and repeating it may be a sin, though my friend and I are still considering going through the ritual.

Now the main concern if we accept that being Born Again or acquiring the Holy Spirit is the key to being saved what should we expect in terms of knowing and working out our faith that we feel we are on the right path. Could I just say I'm born again or that I will readily accept the Holy Spirit by the grace of God and then fold my hands and wait for changes like a renewed mind and heart? I think not because, I have to show God and plead with him to make me whole.

A Baptist article says the first sign is: Colossians 1:21-23a -- And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard..."

The article goes on to state. That a true Christian will persevere in faith come rain or shine till the very end [i am paraphrasing].There are many good points in this article. But, I feel in terms of signs they make another good, point that of course new born again believer's sin but it is no longer a theme in their lives. * Excerpted and/or adapted from an article in the July 1998, The Perilous Times.

Further to bolster, the activities of the Christians seeking the Spirit, St Seraphim, A Conversation" say's, testing our actions to see which receive grace from God. Trade till I come (Lk. 19:13), redeeming the time, because the days are evil (Eph. 5:16) My earthly father was a very angry and punitive man for which I have to forgive him, but he prayed fervently and I believe that he found that brought him Grace from God. Now with me a find that if I open my heart to righteousness, grace sometimes comes to me. On Good Friday, I was earnestly reading the service in Church and all of a sudden, I was in a trance like wave and Christ's sacrifice, really struck me and I was moved to tears and a feeling of love that I could not adequately express. But I was not able to hold on to it forever because it would burst me open.

What are your experiences in terms of being born again or when you feel the Spirit is alive in you? Do any of you have a consistent peace of Christ? Is there anything you've done to prompt it? Do you come upon times when you're in the wilderness but keep your Faith strong?

PS You're free to express any opinion you like including dissent but please put into a personal experience.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/wonderful.aspx St Serphim

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Introduction/truly.htm The Baptist article.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

I was raised an athiest. I was taught that christians were only after foolish, retarded people to get their money and a following to make themselves important. I really knew nothing about God, Jesus, being born again, or any other christian belief. I only came to Christ because someone told me about hell and the lake of fire and I wanted fire insurance in case those 'crazy' christians were right. For the next five years I didn't read the bible, join with a fellowship of any type or do anything to further learn and grow with God because I didn't know I needed to and I didn't trust those 'crazy' christians. I didn't even own a bible during this time. Now when I use the word 'crazy' here you have to understand that this is what I was taught to believe about christians right from when I was little. One day I was cleaning out a cupboard at home and tucked right in the back of it was a bible. I had thoroughly cleaned this place out when I moved in and there was nothing there then so I have no idea how the bible got there. After finding the bible I got a strong urge to watch a televison preacher. I would wake up early so I could go watch him - he was on real early in the morning. Now I have always been one to question everything so whatever he said about the bible I would go back and check in the bible to see if he was right. In this way God got me reading the bible. Then God started bringing other believers across my path and in speaking to them I would also go check the bible to see if they were right and in doing so God taught me to fellowship. Then I had a few years were some real bad things were going on in my life. I didn't know what I was going to do but I knew if this wasn't stopped I would lose everything including my children. I had no one to turn to so I turned to God. I didn't think He could do anything but I knew I had no one else to turn to so He was it. For several months I got up, looked after my children and spent every spare moment with Him. Slowly things turned round and through it I learnt to trust Him and Him alone.

Now I have explained all this to say that I believe that when we are born again it is because we have accepted Jesus and the Holy Spirit has come to abide in us. I believe this due to the fact that the bible states over and over that Jesus will abide with us. I also believe it because no one else could have taught me what I had to learn about God to grow in Him - expect God. Due to the distrust of christians I was raised with I would not have listened if a christian had tried to teach me what God did during those early years of being a Christian. The urging and prompting to do what I needed to do had to come from God in me - the Holy spirit. That is what I believe anyway fwiw.

Edited by Nyoka

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Nyoka, you are absolutely correct. Once you accept Jesus as you Saviour the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in you. Do you never do wrong? No. Do you always do what you should and not sin? No. But when you do sin the Holy Spirit who dwells in you compels you to ask God for forgiveness. When you do Jesus forgives you.

Oak, you must remember that it is by Grace that you are saved. There is absolutely no good work that you could do to gain any grace or forgiveness . Grace is free. Salvation is a gift from the Father for accepting His Son Jesus. Is there any requirement? No otherwise it is not free because you have done something to attain it.

Nyoka, Only the Holy Spirit could have shown you the things that you learned. Sadly when we listen to ministers or get into a denominational debate what you learned from the Holy Spirit is lost. God Bless you as you continue to grow in Him.

Guest shiloh357
Now the main concern if we accept that being Born Again or acquiring the Holy Spirit is the key to being saved what should we expect in terms of knowing and working out our faith that we feel we are on the right path.
There is no path. What I mean is that a path is something you walk on under your own strength to arrive at a destination. Man cannot accomplish anything by virtue of his deeds. That "path" doesn't exist. How do you think salvation is obtained?

The Holy Spirit is not a thing we acquire. He is a person who comes to live within us when we accept Jesus into our hearts.

Could I just say I

Littlelambseavity and Shiloh:

Thank you very much for your replies and I appreciate the fact that both of you replied...However, I hate to remind you of this but this is my post and I know about the scriptural knowledge both of you are conveying. I don't want a scripture for scripture debate. Use scripture but use it to amplify your own experiences.

For instance, Littllamb, how do you feel grace is acting in your life? And Shiloh how did you experience a regenerated heart and mind? What made you have a personal relationship with Christ?

To answer your question in terms of my own experience; I was born into the faith and became an alter boy, never had any doubts about dogma and thought everything came automatically. As I grew older, I was attacked by doubts. How can Christ die for me, personally maybe in a general way but it took me years to come around to the fact that Christ died for me as I am. Further, my father saw a monk that was known for being able to see into the future, after people started noticing my Dad was a very angry person ( and recommended this person to him)... On his Birthday, he (Dad was a very arrogant person with a string of PHD's) told me, that the monk said, my dad would be the only person within our family to attain Heaven. The impact on me was immediate; I started wrecking my life since I believed my Father. Now, 5 years later the monk had died but his son (a priest) assured me that his father would and could never say anything like that. Little pushes, little shoves can derail a person's faith. Perhaps both of you would recognize the false boastings, I didn't. I also believe, our walk with Christ is a very personal experience and recognition of true belief comes hard for some. Finally free will and Faith are the variables that we take an active role in.

Oak

Guest shiloh357
And Shiloh how did you experience a regenerated heart and mind? What made you have a personal relationship with Christ?

Well, my experience was the same as outlined in my initial post. I was saved at 18. I asked Jesus to come into my heart and be my Savior. He did. He gave me a new heart just as He promised He would. He gave me a new set of desires to live for Him and a desire to serve Him. I am completely whole, justified, purified and I have the witness of the Holy Spirit within me that I am saved. It come from making a quality decision. He is my Savior and Lord.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

And Shiloh how did you experience a regenerated heart and mind? What made you have a personal relationship with Christ?

Well, my experience was the same as outlined in my initial post. I was saved at 18. I asked Jesus to come into my heart and be my Savior. He did. He gave me a new heart just as He promised He would. He gave me a new set of desires to live for Him and a desire to serve Him. I am completely whole, justified, purified and I have the witness of the Holy Spirit within me that I am saved. It come from making a quality decision. He is my Savior and Lord.

Shiloh have you ever posted your testimony on the boards?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

And the manifestations and signs of experiencing them.

First I believe being Born Again is the same as acquiring the Holy Spirit. Why? Due to Christ saying to Nicodemus:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Amen! Than is how it happened for me as well, just a lot later in life (which does not matter, except the gaining of knowledge, and then wisdom, that little which I have, started a bit later in life). But as to being justified, time does not matter. As to sanctification, it is not a path but a journey with no end. The path we walk is that of scripture and His will, and that has boundaries. But our sanctification has no path, not does it have boundaries. Make sense?

First of all I have confessed Jesus Christ as my personal Savior who died for my sins on the cross and was resurrected on the third day. I met many people who have confessed Christ. But here is where I start wondering. Some Christians in my opinion don't show a regenerated heart and mind. Meaning their lifestyles go on as before. Most of my friends are very successful Christians. And speaking to one of my most successful friends, recently, who is a believer, I asked how he was doing spiritually? He told me between Wall Street and his family he doesn't have time to think about himself period. He's a good person, but doesn't even think where he stands with God. Or do you guys feel once he confessed Christ I shouldn't be concerned. Many Christian acquaintances are leading a bit of decadent lifestyle, without a doubt about their salvation, again I'm not judging, I'm just concerned.

I feel that one's Christianity should be reflected in your life. Aren't we supposed to be slaves of righteousness? (Rom 6:19). Maybe Im wrong but with a regenerated heart and mind and having the Holy Spirit shouldn't you experience and see change? I know nothing we do can merit salvation, but don't our actions show how much we indeed love Christ? Shouldn't our faith get stronger? Sometimes I feel that there is an attitude in our time, that we should let God grow the good in us and don't worry about putting any effort or thought in terms of striving for God. I'd like Christians to share their struggles or their perfected state. I sometimes feel like the rich man who approached Christ who indeed obeyed God's Commandments but couldn't sell all he had and follow Him. Do I love Christ more than anything in the world? I feel I may fall short on that account due to my deeds and desires. Am I just overly sensitive?

Oak

PS Thank you, for all your posts!