• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

With what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you

Guest Butero

I don't see this exactly the way you stated it. While it is true that Romans 2:1 does seem to indicate that everyone that judges others does the same thing, taken in context, that is not what it is saying. Jump down to verse 3, and it says the following:

And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

It is silly to think that everyone is always guilty of doing the exact same thing they are judging others for doing. Let's suppose that I was to look at an adulterer and think to myself, that is a groce sin against God. I have been married almost 26 years and never cheated on my wife. I am not guilty of the same thing. Of course, this is just an example. I understand that all sin and come short of the glory of God, so my intent here is not to attack everyone that fell into the sin of adultery.

Then we come down to the question over what judging others means? Does this mean we can't discern right from wrong, or does it mean we don't have the right to determine in ourselves the eternal fate of others? Notice what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:1-3

1 DARE any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Notice in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, the Apostle Paul is judging fornication taking place in the church at Corinth. In verse 3, he says...

For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed.

Paul tells the church to put these fornicators out of the church and turn them over to Satan. It is obvious that scripture is not saying everyone is guilty of everything they judge others on. Paul was not committing adultery and incest. It is also obvious it is not telling us we can never judge the sins of others. We have to look at this in context. The Bible is strong against hypocrisy. We are to first take the beam out of our eye so we can see clearly to cast the mote out of our brother's eye, Matt 7:5.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

OK I'll share how I feel on this matter.

Sometimes from the comfort of my armchair I see sin in others. And I will point that out, only to realise that the reason why their sin is so apparent in them is because I see it in myself. It's like Jesus handing me a mirror :b:. That doesn't mean not to point it out, but to keep your own sin and shortfallings in mind humbly as you speak to your brothers and sisters who are in sin.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Sometimes from the comfort of my armchair I see sin in others. And I will point that out, only to realise that the reason why their sin is so apparent in them is because I see it in myself. It's like Jesus handing me a mirror :b:. That doesn't mean not to point it out, but to keep your own sin and shortfallings in mind humbly as you speak to your brothers and sisters who are in sin.

I get that!

I think the word Neb posted is relevant in that we should take the log out of our eye before criticizing others. If we are to approach a brother or sister with a problem we see that they may not, we have to be very sure of our motives, and our standing with God when we do it. We are all guilty in some way of gossip.

We just have to do a very careful analysis of ourselves before talking. And even then the way we talk is important. We need to do it with grace and a singular lack of any sort of pride. And we are to forgive instantly.....

Very true. :thumbsup:

There's an old saying that goes, "When you point your finger at others there are 3 fingers pointing right at you." Somewhat the same thing Jesus said about getting the log out of my eye before trying to get the splinter out of others'.

I don't see this exactly the way you stated it.

I didn't - Oswald Chambers did.

Let's suppose that I was to look at an adulterer and think to myself, that is a groce sin against God.

In that case, you are judging the sin, not the sinner.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I don't see this exactly the way you stated it. While it is true that Romans 2:1 does seem to indicate that everyone that judges others does the same thing, taken in context, that is not what it is saying. Jump down to verse 3, and it says the following:

And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

It is silly to think that everyone is always guilty of doing the exact same thing they are judging others for doing. Let's suppose that I was to look at an adulterer and think to myself, that is a groce sin against God. I have been married almost 26 years and never cheated on my wife. I am not guilty of the same thing. Of course, this is just an example. I understand that all sin and come short of the glory of God, so my intent here is not to attack everyone that fell into the sin of adultery.

Then we come down to the question over what judging others means? Does this mean we can't discern right from wrong, or does it mean we don't have the right to determine in ourselves the eternal fate of others? Notice what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:1-3

1 DARE any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Notice in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, the Apostle Paul is judging fornication taking place in the church at Corinth. In verse 3, he says...

For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed.

Paul tells the church to put these fornicators out of the church and turn them over to Satan. It is obvious that scripture is not saying everyone is guilty of everything they judge others on. Paul was not committing adultery and incest. It is also obvious it is not telling us we can never judge the sins of others. We have to look at this in context. The Bible is strong against hypocrisy. We are to first take the beam out of our eye so we can see clearly to cast the mote out of our brother's eye, Matt 7:5.

Paul is telling these newly formed converts that all things are judged by the laws of God and they shouldn't be judging anyone by anything less. The Corithians were still very worldly, still had much involvement with the world and was using that system to judge sin in others. It is by Gods Torah that all things are judged, then, now and in the future and as you rightly pointed out that we are to see our own sins first before we can take others to task for something we may be doing also.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I really liked this article by Bill Muehlenberg on judging.

Mizz

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

I agree with those who say that before judging others we should examine ourselves. I also believe another component of judging should be love. We see in the gospels that whenever Jesus judged those He knew had rejected him it was to tell them their condemnation - eg the Pharisees. But when He judged those He knew hadn't rejected them it was always in love to show them the truth - eg the woman at the well and the adulteress. As we are told in 1Co 13 all things must be done with love for without love there is only condemnation. Love includes mercy, justice and grace. We show mercy to the person sinning. We give just judgment with the view of restoration to Christ/bringing them to knowledge and acceptance of Christ and showing them the truth so they can turn from the sin - and not condemnation. We show grace when we show the mercy and just judgment. James does tell us that we need to show mercy: Jas 2:13 For he who has shown no mercy shall have judgment without mercy, and mercy exults over judgment. If we expect to receive mercy we must also show mercy. So when we judge others it should always be with the view of showing them were they went wrong so they can repent and turn from it and then in love and truth they can have restoration to Christ or be brought to the knowledge and acceptance of Christ to fellowship with Christ and the body of Christ. There may come a time when we have to say no more and exclude a person from fellowship due to them not wanting to hear the truth but even this should never be done lightly and it should be done after we have tried to show them the truth, in mercy, with the view of restoring them to fellowship/bringing them to Christ still being our goal - if possible.

Edited by Nyoka