New 3D Printer

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I saw this on a show a few years back, I can't remember the show but it was on one of those 'how its made' ones. Fantastic, very cool but its not going to replace manufacturing of screws, nuts, bolts or any of that unless its somehow as strong as metal one, ever try hanging a door or something heavy with a plastic screw? Faucets wouldn't last if they were made from plastic either especially in hard water areas. I think its really cool! when it only cost as much as my printer I might even get one! :laugh:

That's what so good with research and development ... it improves the product. If we have enough time left before Christ returns, they probably will develop a material that is just as strong as metal, speed up the printing process and cheapen the overall cost. Take a look at what we have done in just over the past 100 years? What, land on the moon???

Since reading this post I have been onto the net and had a look at the technology and what it can do.

Companies already using it are Nokia, Nissan, and a host of others. It saves millions in tool production for parts, because they can be interrogated before going to tool and die manufacture.

Nokia for instance can produce a phone shape in a few hours, that would have taken weeks to make.

It is amazing technology.

I want one!

Make a bust of my head and put it on a pedestal outside my front door alongside the plastic flamigoe's... :whistling:

:laugh: Is that an example of knowledge increasing, but not wisdom? :24:

This is amazing technology and I can see that many companies may go bust because of it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

We were wondering where this would go...

Tonight I watched a printer on a TV program, print a patients own kidney cells!!

They have not got the blood vessel printing correct yet, but once they do, it is feasible that they will be able to "print' a new kidney, bladder, heart on a machine withing a day or so, based on your own cells. Imagine. No rejection, no waiting for a donor....

It is coming, and it is amazing technology!

Printing a kidney

The 3d and the cell printers are increasing in capacity daily, and it won't be long before this is common medical practice.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Whoooooooaaaa!!

• 2 months later...

3D printing has been around since as far back (or earlier) as the mid 80's, that is when I first became aware of it. It was called stereo lithography, and has been a tool used commonly in rapid prototyping (my former field). These days I have ventured into the field of decorative concrete, and have since become aware of another type of 3D printer, one that prints using cement as the "ink". The use it for making models of structures (like stadiums and skyscrapers) by printing successive layers of cement on top of each other, until that is a scale model of a building, made of cement. Pretty cool. There are many different ways that have been devised to accomplish this feat using different materials. However, the one printing with cells, is a new idea to me, very interesting.

Omegaman 3.0

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,625
  • Content Per Day:  5.01
  • Days Won:  217
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:blink: so what happens to all the people who work in manufacturing and need the work to keep themliving ???

how long efore dictators start to replicate whole armies of themselves ???

how is this any different to cloning .. you remember cloning ?? the sciece that everyone has been shouting NO NO NO to ???

ludolites are us

On 10/5/2011 at 2:38 AM, ladypeartree said:

:blink: so what happens to all the people who work in manufacturing and need the work to keep themliving ???

how long efore dictators start to replicate whole armies of themselves ???

how is this any different to cloning .. you remember cloning ?? the sciece that everyone has been shouting NO NO NO to ???

ludolites are us

Seriously? Well first off, let's cosider the jobs implications. The carpenters union of years ago, would not allow their member to use power saws. The reasoning was that the workers would get the job done too fast, and be out of work. What actually happened, is that the use of power tools, made houses cheaper, and more people where then able to afford them, and consequently more jobs were created, not less. The invention of the printing press made it so that everyone could afford a Bible, previously they were hand written, and only for the wealthy or those who could justify such and expense because it was their job - bible scholars, universities etc. The invention to the personal computer and printers, has of course made typewriters obsolete for the most part, should we have not gone there then, for the sake of the jobs of typewriter manufacturing employees? When such things happen, are not people employed then, making printers etc?

It any case, 3d printers are not, so far, that fastest way to make something, they are a good way to make a single item first, a prototype, before making the real opjects with normal manufacturing techniques, which is both cheaper and faster in the long run, just not for a single item. In the case of the model made of cement that I mentioned, that is good for a scaled down version, but not a good method for building real buildings, which are not able to be made by this technology, because they are only models, and lact the reinforcement to make them strong enough for real building, nor do they have plumbing, wiring, carpeting, woodwork, paint or anything else in the building that is not cement, Production jobs do not seem to be at all, threatened by this technology.

How long before dictators are replicating armies? A long time if not never. We cannot replicate life and it is unlikely to be economical if we could. As it is, dictators now just have to say "Hey you. you are in my army now" Much easier. Of course, we (the U.S.) make machines now to do what was formerly done by men. To my thinking, every machine we put in place of a man, is a soldiers life potentially saved.

Cloning is not at all the same, is it? When ever you use a copy machine to make a copy of a document, or you have a duplicate house key made, you are doing what 3D printers do, is that morally equivalent to the issues in cloning?

Omegaman 3.0

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I want one :blink:

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

I have actually seen one of these things in person. My Father in law works for a Christian university in the area. His job is to look after all the technological gadgets that they have (His title is material Sciences Tech). Well a few years ago the university brought one for students use in projects. the first thing they did with it was to re-create a adjustable wrench to see how well it worked.

So ok the version they use only works with plastic (though ones that use liquid metals are out there on the market), but it is amazing how well it works. A full size, fully working adjustable wrench took less than 10 mins to "print".

Now days the students use it to test out new designs for artificial joints and limbs.

Some info about what they have achieved.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,578994,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeTourneau_Empowering_Global_Solutions

http://www.limbsinternational.org/

The knee joint that was developed here was designed by students using the 3d printer.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

It is nice to see mans minds creating something that is useful and not destructive! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/07/1990

I wonder if I scan myself, I could get a twin???? Then my sister and I could duplicate ourselves and then ther would be four of us!!!! :laugh: Hehe I'm excited for the future now. ^.^