New 3D Printer

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

The video that I would like to show you is on you tube, so I cannot link it here. If you wish to see the first printer that is like a replicator, search you tube for 3D Printer by life4nothing. For those who wish not to go to you tube, you can see a commercial about having a personal sized one of your own here.

Imagine having the ability to scan a tool in 3D, send it to your printer, and make as many working models as you want, or afford. No worries about lost keys, favorite kids toys breaking, your favorite tool being misplaced again ... all for a nice little price of ...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.98
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, you do need the original for it to work.

But it is truly, truly amazing that this is possible!

Yes, the original needs to be scanned in first, or created through CAD. Yet, once it is scanned in, it can be retrieved from a file anytime to recreate the part. What amazes me is that this was just someones imagination not to many years ago, and it is now on the market. As with all new inventions, over time, the cost will come down, it will be improved upon, and I hope it will available for places that need them the most.

The only concern I have is the possibility of many jobs being lost in manufacturing. Think about the normal screw or bolt. It takes mining the material to make to steal, making the steal itself, trucking the material to the machine shop that makes the screw or bolt, the machinist that makes the bolt, and all the other employees behind the scene (accountants, supervisors, dispatchers, etc.) that this invention can replace. If the 3D printer can produce a product that is durable enough to replace the original metal part, well ... it does not look good for the those jobs mentioned.

The upshot is that costs can go down. There will be no need to truck material anywhere, if the R&D is successful in making it possible to create the material that can be as useful as the original. The possibilities are endless.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.98
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I guess that depends on how much machine + "substance" costs. It might still be cheaper to buy the original all around.

Unless it is found that the replication can be mass produced at a cheaper cost.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I saw this on a show a few years back, I can't remember the show but it was on one of those 'how its made' ones. Fantastic, very cool but its not going to replace manufacturing of screws, nuts, bolts or any of that unless its somehow as strong as metal one, ever try hanging a door or something heavy with a plastic screw? Faucets wouldn't last if they were made from plastic either especially in hard water areas. I think its really cool! when it only cost as much as my printer I might even get one! :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  2

...um... What does it print on?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

A novel idea.

I saw this on a show a few years back, I can't remember the show but it was on one of those 'how its made' ones. Fantastic, very cool but its not going to replace manufacturing of screws, nuts, bolts or any of that unless its somehow as strong as metal one, ever try hanging a door or something heavy with a plastic screw? Faucets wouldn't last if they were made from plastic either especially in hard water areas. I think its really cool! when it only cost as much as my printer I might even get one! :laugh:

That's what so good with research and development ... it improves the product. If we have enough time left before Christ returns, they probably will develop a material that is just as strong as metal, speed up the printing process and cheapen the overall cost. Take a look at what we have done in just over the past 100 years? What, land on the moon???

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

That's what so good with research and development ... it improves the product. If we have enough time left before Christ returns, they probably will develop a material that is just as strong as metal, speed up the printing process and cheapen the overall cost. Take a look at what we have done in just over the past 100 years? What, land on the moon???

Since reading this post I have been onto the net and had a look at the technology and what it can do.

Companies already using it are Nokia, Nissan, and a host of others. It saves millions in tool production for parts, because they can be interrogated before going to tool and die manufacture.

Nokia for instance can produce a phone shape in a few hours, that would have taken weeks to make.

It is amazing technology.

I want one!

Make a bust of my head and put it on a pedestal outside my front door alongside the plastic flamigoe's... :whistling:

The video on YouTube I pointed to shows them scanning in a crescent wrench and after it is completed, using it as a tool after blowing off the particles. The less expensive models need to have a hardener added after production, so they have already progressed. I am just wondering how far will they go with this technology? One question I was thinking of is if they can link a 3D x-ray up to the scanning device so that the internal moving parts of something like a clock can be made without the need of an assembly line?

I have to admit that my imagination can get lost in the possibilities of this machine, so forgive me if I seem to be reaching out there. It's the sci-fi nut in me. :)