• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1978

hi all, my first language is chinese, so which bible version is better for understanding? NIV or ESV?

Maybe These Will Help

Maybe Not

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

A former house church pastor who is now in the States gives his insights here about the Chinese Bible and its various translations. This pastor learned to read the Greek, knows some Hebrew and also reads English. Here is a summary of his findings:

http://www.intervars...ism/article/725

~

BibleGateWay

(Chinese Is At The Bottom Of The List)

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

~

On Line Bibles

http://bibledatabase.net/

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

It's debatable, but the NIV would get my vote. I'm certain there Chinese versions out there too.

hi all, my first language is chinese, so which bible version is better for understanding? NIV or ESV?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

I chose NIV early in my new life in Christ. However, when it comes to studying Bible prophecy, I have found that there is no substitute for the KJV, especially when you get into symbols. This is because most of the newer translations have changed not only the old english writing style, but they have also changed many of the actual symbols themselves, which is a HUGE mistake. I'm sure the translator's didn't realize it when they were doing it, but they have really butchered God's Word in that respect.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Interesting. Would you mind giving a few good examples?

I chose NIV early in my new life in Christ. However, when it comes to studying Bible prophecy, I have found that there is no substitute for the KJV, especially when you get into symbols. This is because most of the newer translations have changed not only the old english writing style, but they have also changed many of the actual symbols themselves, which is a HUGE mistake. I'm sure the translator's didn't realize it when they were doing it, but they have really butchered God's Word in that respect.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Hello Hillson.

If you want only an English Bible, I would recommend the NIV because it is written in fairly easy to understand English, and is also a respected and one of the most widely used versions.

If you want a Bible with Chinese (simplified) and English side by side, I would recommend the ESV-NCF 新譯本 version. The New Chinese Version 新譯本 Bible is in modern Chinese and much easier to read than the traditional hehe-ben (even in its 圣经 和合本 简体 form).

I hope that helps. May the Holy Spirit open God's word to your understanding.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  2,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Interesting. Would you mind giving a few good examples?

No, not at all.

Seven or eight years ago, when I first took notice of this, it was just a little change. Something was changed by only a single letter, but overlooking this little thing could end up playing a very large part some day in the future.

In Revelation 13, one word has been changed by all of the modern translations. It seems that everyone wanted to change what was written in the old english language. Now lets take a look at a verse in the KJV.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: (Rev.13:16 KJV)

Notice that it says that people receive the mark (in) their right hand, or (in) their foreheads. The KJV is the only translation that says in, while all of the others have changed the word "in" to (on). I thought that was really odd, but then I began to see other changes. Now let me show you the entire passage in the KJV, then we'll compare this with the other translations:

"And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. 16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:" (Rev.13:14-16 KJV)

Now lets take a look at the other translations and how they changed this particular passage. I will bold the changes that I feel could be misleading when the time comes for the implementation of this future mark.

"And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. 15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads," (NKJV)

"Because of the signs it was given power to perform on behalf of the first beast, it deceived the inhabitants of the earth. It ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. 15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads," (NIV)

"And he deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by reason of the signs which it was given him to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast who hath the stroke of the sword and lived. 15 And it was given unto him to give breath to it, even to the image to the breast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as should not worship the image of the beast should be killed. 16 And he causeth all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free and the bond, that there be given them a mark on their right hand, or upon their forehead;" (ASV)

"And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead," (NASB)

"And with all the miracles he was allowed to perform on behalf of the first beast, he deceived all the people who belong to this world. He ordered the people to make a great statue of the first beast, who was fatally wounded and then came back to life. 15 He was then permitted to give life to this statue so that it could speak. Then the statue of the beast commanded that anyone refusing to worship it must die. 16 He required everyone—small and great, rich and poor, free and slave—to be given a mark on the right hand or on the forehead." (NLT)

"And because of the signs (miracles) which he is allowed to perform in the presence of the [first] beast, he deceives those who inhabit the earth, commanding them to erect a statue (an image) in the likeness of the beast who was wounded by the [small] sword and still lived. 15And he is permitted [also] to impart the breath of life into the beast's image, so that the statue of the beast could actually talk and cause to be put to death those who would not bow down and worship the image of the beast. 16Also he compels all [alike], both small and great, both the rich and the poor, both free and slave, to be marked with an inscription [stamped] on their right hands or on their foreheads," (Amplified Bible)

If that version seems ridiculous with its changes, this next one is hillarious.

"This second Beast worked magical signs, dazzling people by making fire come down from Heaven. It used the magic it got from the Beast to dupe earth dwellers, getting them to make an image of the Beast that received the deathblow and lived. It was able to animate the image of the Beast so that it talked, and then arrange that anyone not worshiping the Beast would be killed. It forced all people, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to have a mark on the right hand or forehead. Without the mark of the name of the Beast or the number of its name, it was impossible to buy or sell anything.

Solve a riddle: Put your heads together and figure out the meaning of the number of the Beast. It's a human number: 666." (Rev.13:13-18 The Message)

These small changes don't appear to be very significant at all. That is, until you realize that one day soon, a trial will be coming that will test all those who dwell on the earth. I believe those that are not ready when the Lord returns at the rapture will have to endure this trial. There are many other changes as well, but considering all of the changes I displayed here, I believe this may have much to do with that strong delusion that is to come, and I believe it will.

These changes have people looking for not only a statue, but many are looking for clones that will be able to speak and breathe, and some are even thinking the mark will be a tattoo. This grabbed my attention and caused me to look into this much deeper.

If the KJV is correct, then it could be an RFID micro-chip implanted (in or under the skin), so I looked for more information about this RFID technology.

After finding more info, I then noticed a very peculiar paragraph from the website of the company that developed this technology, stating how it works. I was so fascinated by the words they used in that paragraph that I got out my dictionary so I could compare these words with the symbols in Revelation about the mark of the beast. What I discovered was simply amazing! Here is that paragraph so you can see for yourself:

“How VeriChip Works:

An implantable, 12mm by 2.1mm radio frequency device, VeriChip is about the size of the point of a typical ballpoint pen. It contains a unique verification number. Utilizing an external scanner, radio frequency energy passes through the skin energizing the dormant VeriChip, which then emits a radio frequency signal containing the verification number. The number is displayed by the scanner and transmitted to a secure data storage site by authorized personnel via telephone or Internet."

Now pay close attention to these words in the paragraph:

[energizing], [dormant] and [emits].

Now let’s look at verse 15 again:

Rev. 13:15 - "And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed." Now notice the words: [give life] and [speak]

The Webster's New World Dictionary's definitions of:

Emit: (1)to send out; give forth; discharge (2)to utter (words etc.) [to speak - emphasis mine]

Dormant: (1)inactive (2)Biology - in a resting or torpid [numb/dull] state [emphasis added for definition of torpid]

Energize: to give energy to; activate [given life - emphasis mine]

As you can plainly see, the word (emit) hits the bulls-eye for both (send out and speak). Once the dormant (inactive/resting) micro-chip has been scanned, it will be energized (given life/activated), causing it to emit (send out/speak) a signal which will contain a unique verification number.

Although it wasn't mentioned in the quote above, we could safely assume the verification number would have to be confirmed or denied. Once the micro-chip is scanned and its signal (unique number) is emitted and verified, the computer database would then emit back or relay an authorization approved or denied message, which would cause the contraption to emit (utter words/speak) a message to the scanner operator. Now consider the following passages of scripture:

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. 11Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. (Rev.3:10-11 KJV)

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. 35For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. (Luke 21:34-36 KJV)

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  348

I'm with you rollinThunder. King James Version!!!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,039
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You need to go to the origional greek wording to study the mark of the beast..... playing with different translations will only confuse the situation.

Mark (Charagma) means a scratch or mark (a badge of servitude). It has the number of the beast and not the number of a person. The contextual defination of the mark does not lend it to being a chip, though it makes some common sense to think so in todays world.

Keep in mind that as the world goes to a cashless society, literally anything could be the mark of the beast. RFID chips are getting to be old technology. If that is what is to be used, most likely it will be the RFID tattoo's that would be used. However once we go cashless, they could close everyone's backing priviliges until they get something as simple as a purple smiley face to reopen your account and that would make a good example.

As for as the "In" or "ON", one would have to be more in tune with the Greek languate than I am, but from what I read in most Lexicons, it should be "ON", and in this case anyway the KJV is not correct in it's translation.

To get the best I would guess we should go to the origional language to decide on those few places where there are differences.

• Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Here's what you do. Go to your favorite bookstore that has a sampling of each translation. Read a few chapters in KJV, then NIV, then NKJV and so on until you have sampled the same chapters in each translation. Which one speaks the best to you? Alongf with that, try to find one that is known for its acccurate translation. You might want to stay away from some llike The Message or The Living Bible. Usingthese 2 criteria, narrow it down until you come up with your favorite. Thats the best one.