• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

When Solomon (acknowledged as one who had wisdom given as a gift from God), wrote this, what do you think he meant?

Ecc 12:10 The Preacher sought to find words of delight, and uprightly he wrote words of truth.

Ecc 12:11 The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd.

Ecc 12:12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Ecc 12:13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

Ecc 12:14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I think it means not to add to or go beyond God's written laws at that time.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

As I see it, Solomon says that man's duty is to glorify his Creator through living a life of worship, submission and obedience to God.

As to how this is specifically applied varies from person to person as God has predetermined their place of service.

There seem to be two main commands in the Bible regarding man's purpose in life (that I can see).

#1 Be fruitful and multiply, subdue the earth and have dominion over it.

#2 Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature.

I am somewhat puzzled though as these two seem to be for the most part irrelevant to my own personal circumstances. Can

can anyone add any other commands pertaining to man's purpose? Please?

And regarding V11 and 12, do you think Solomon is saying all wisdom has only one Source, God ; and that it is to be understood just as it is written without getting all highfalutin interpreting the terminology?

Or another possibility ; wisdom has only one Source hence beware of all other sources of 'wisdom'?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Well all the earth includes your own city and neighborhood!

Always be ready as the word says in season and out.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

When Solomon (acknowledged as one who had wisdom given as a gift from God), wrote this, what do you think he meant?

Ecc 12:10 The Preacher sought to find words of delight, and uprightly he wrote words of truth.

Ecc 12:11 The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd.

Ecc 12:12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Ecc 12:13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

Ecc 12:14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

That Jesus is the chief Shepherd. It's His word(s) that will guide us. Other times the word will poke (chastise) us, helping us to return back onto the straight and narrow path. That the fear of God is really the love for Him and in due season everything will be revealed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think one should not separate these from the rest of the book. Basically the entire book is saying that we are born, and we die. Inbetween is vanity. We all end up in the same place which is death. We should enjoy our youth while we have it but know where life leads and that is into darkness of the grave. I do not think Soloman in all his wisdom understood what came after that darkness.

I think the book is saying that you can gain all knowledge and teach and write book after book, but in the end, the grave awaits. So though he was given great knowledge and wisdom, loving God and keeping his commandments is what we should be doing...... and all else in the end is folly.

Is that still valid in this day and time after Jesus was here....... Should we listen to a man who had 600 wives and lovers...... It's hard to say. We do have a different set of commandments, and there is so much more to look forward to besides the grave... somehow I feel deep in my soul that things changed 2000 years ago...... and it makes the grave something not so dark and nothing to fear or have dark thoughts about.

And I guess that's a gospel (with a little 'g') according to Sam.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,772
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

I don't think one should not separate these from the rest of the book. Basically the entire book is saying that we are born, and we die. Inbetween is vanity. We all end up in the same place which is death. We should enjoy our youth while we have it but know where life leads and that is into darkness of the grave. I do not think Soloman in all his wisdom understood what came after that darkness.

I think the book is saying that you can gain all knowledge and teach and write book after book, but in the end, the grave awaits. So though he was given great knowledge and wisdom, loving God and keeping his commandments is what we should be doing...... and all else in the end is folly.

Is that still valid in this day and time after Jesus was here....... Should we listen to a man who had 600 wives and lovers...... It's hard to say. We do have a different set of commandments, and there is so much more to look forward to besides the grave... somehow I feel deep in my soul that things changed 2000 years ago...... and it makes the grave something not so dark and nothing to fear or have dark thoughts about.

And I guess that's a gospel (with a little 'g') according to Sam.

:) @ otherone

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Maybe God was telling Solomon not to spend all o fhis time studying and learning, because it would consume all of his time, and he would have no time left over to worship God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I think it means not to add to or go beyond God's written laws at that time.

I agree with Tinky, man has been trying to change God's word since the beginning ( the pharisees were known for it). I think God is telling us not to get wrapped around the axle every time somebody adds or subtracts from his word, just follow his commandments.