• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

'Son of Sam' Serial Killer Won’t Seek Parole; Gives Jesus As Reason

“Son of Sam” serial killer David Berkowitz will once again not seek to be released from prison, repeating what he has previously said five times since 2002 when he was first eligible for parole.

Berkowitz, 58, who was also known as the .44 Caliber Killer, wrote a letter to a FoxNews.com reporter explaining that he has no interest in parole and that he is forgiven through Jesus Christ.

Convicted of killing six women and shooting seven others in New York City over 13 months in 1976 and 1977, Berkowitz is serving six consecutive 25-years-to-life sentences. He is imprisoned at the maximum-security Sullivan Correctional Facility northwest of New York City.

He was first imprisoned at the Attica Correctional Facility and has served a total of 34 years. He has been up for parole every two years since 2002.

He wrote in the letter: “I have no interest in parole and no plans to seek release. If you could understand this, I am already a ‘free man.’ I am not saying this jokingly. I really am. Jesus Christ has already pardoned me, and I believe this.”

Although Berkowitz does not have access to a computer, in a website reportedly hosted by a church group at AriseandShine.org, his personal testimony page states that in 1987 he fell to his knees and cried out to Jesus.

“I told Him that I was sick and tired of doing evil. I asked Jesus to forgive me for all my sins. I spent a good while on my knees praying to Him,” Berkowitz states on his “My Testimony” page on the site. “When I got up it felt as if a very heavy but invisible chain that had been around me for so many years was broken. A peace flooded over me. I did not understand what was happening. But in my heart I just knew that my life, somehow, was going to be different.”

Berkowitz writes in his letter to the reporter that he is active in prison ministry, including helping with Sunday services and Bible studies.

A Pace Law Review 2011 entry by Rebekah Binger published recently is titled, “Prison Ain’t Hell: An Interview with David Berkowitz.” Binger uses his in-prison salvation story to make a case for state-funded faith-based prison rehabilitation programs and that they do not violate the Establishment Clause.

“Religious prison programs offered at the various institutions in which Berkowitz served his sentence kept him on the straight and narrow, and removed him from the category of prison troublemaker to a sort of prison trustee,” Binger states in the law review article. “His story must not be dismissed or ignored.”

Link

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

'Son of Sam' Serial Killer Won’t Seek Parole; Gives Jesus As Reason

“Son of Sam” serial killer David Berkowitz will once again not seek to be released from prison, repeating what he has previously said five times since 2002 when he was first eligible for parole.

Berkowitz, 58, who was also known as the .44 Caliber Killer, wrote a letter to a FoxNews.com reporter explaining that he has no interest in parole and that he is forgiven through Jesus Christ.

Convicted of killing six women and shooting seven others in New York City over 13 months in 1976 and 1977, Berkowitz is serving six consecutive 25-years-to-life sentences. He is imprisoned at the maximum-security Sullivan Correctional Facility northwest of New York City.

He was first imprisoned at the Attica Correctional Facility and has served a total of 34 years. He has been up for parole every two years since 2002.

He wrote in the letter: “I have no interest in parole and no plans to seek release. If you could understand this, I am already a ‘free man.’ I am not saying this jokingly. I really am. Jesus Christ has already pardoned me, and I believe this.”

Although Berkowitz does not have access to a computer, in a website reportedly hosted by a church group at AriseandShine.org, his personal testimony page states that in 1987 he fell to his knees and cried out to Jesus.

“I told Him that I was sick and tired of doing evil. I asked Jesus to forgive me for all my sins. I spent a good while on my knees praying to Him,” Berkowitz states on his “My Testimony” page on the site. “When I got up it felt as if a very heavy but invisible chain that had been around me for so many years was broken. A peace flooded over me. I did not understand what was happening. But in my heart I just knew that my life, somehow, was going to be different.”

Berkowitz writes in his letter to the reporter that he is active in prison ministry, including helping with Sunday services and Bible studies.

A Pace Law Review 2011 entry by Rebekah Binger published recently is titled, “Prison Ain’t Hell: An Interview with David Berkowitz.” Binger uses his in-prison salvation story to make a case for state-funded faith-based prison rehabilitation programs and that they do not violate the Establishment Clause.

“Religious prison programs offered at the various institutions in which Berkowitz served his sentence kept him on the straight and narrow, and removed him from the category of prison troublemaker to a sort of prison trustee,” Binger states in the law review article. “His story must not be dismissed or ignored.”

Link

what a good story - I can't wait to tell my co-worker about this he will find it very interesting, and it also makes you think about all sin being equal in God's eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus never ceases to amaze me. I love him so very much!

Thank you, God, that you saved Mr. Berkowitz. Thank you for providing salvation through your only begotten son Jesus. You are certainly amazing, Father, and we love you so much!

In Jesus' name I pray to you, Amen.

Mr Berkowitz has been a messianic jew and turned down parole for many years now, and a good friend of mine is the one who has been ministering to him so I've kept up with this story for quite a while. Yes, it is indeed wondrous how the Lord takes each of us and redeems our lives.

Amen~!

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7 (NASB 1995)

Hallelujah~!

This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,

and of their followers, who approve their sayings. Selah

Like sheep they are destined for the grave,

and death will feed on them.

The upright will rule over them in the morning;

their forms will decay in the grave,

far from their princely mansions.

But God will redeem my life from the grave;

he will surely take me to himself. Selah Psalms 49:13-15 (NIV 1984)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

That is amazing, praise God. If he has a ministry in prison, it's not at all surprising he doesn't want to leave.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I wonder if his reason for not wanting to be released is because he has become institutionalized. (Shades of Shawshank).

Maybe he's at peace? Maybe he "feels" like he belongs in the prison ministry where he is and as he is?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Wow, there is a name I haven't heard of for years, the news brings a smile to my face, to hear that Jesus is still working in the Prisons.

Plus to those who would say God does not perform Miracles, I see this as being one.

Another name that I would like to hear about being set Free in Christ would be Raymond Luc Levasseur.

Joh 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

Joh 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Joh_8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Jesus IS Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The true success stories like these will be IMHO retold often in heaven.