• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1988

My counselor doesn't seem to know much about bipolar disorder. Last semester I only attended because my parents want me to and I was only able to drag myself to the appointments each week. This semester I have been able to tear down the remaining walls and be completely honest and vulnerable with those around me. So when I go to counseling now, I have questions that need answering. I actually want to get something out of it this semester but so far she hasn't helped. Maybe next week will be better. I know there are a lot of people here with bipolar who have had it way longer that I have. The question I kept asking her about at our first appointment was about my extreme irritation. i am a completely private person though I have been gettting better over the years. My family calls me a conservative bipolar because I go through the whole range of emotions and yet no one will notice. I keep it all inside, or at least used to. When the extreme agitation or irritation is at its worst, I don't know what to do. I want to yell and scream and swear at people around me for no reason. I want to throw things and make the outside world just as chaotic as the chaos inside of me. I don't. I used to channel this irritaion/frustration/anger at myself. Which would lead to major depression. It was not healthy. I don't do that anymore but I do not know how to release it. I'm stuck with all these emotions inside me. My skin is on fire, my body hurts, I feel like I'm going to explode. I've tried running, wearing myself out playing soccer but it only leaves me physically exhausted and stilll too irritated with everything to cope. I've tried punching walls which gives me come relief. Luckily I'm pretty wimpy so I don't break fingers or anything. I kinda wish there was a punching bag at the school. I'm hoping my parents might set one up i could use over the summer. Anyways, my question of the week is, what do I do with all the pent up aggression and irritation??? There has to be some kind of non-destructive or even constructive outlet for it. Help please!!! I need answers and advice from people who have experienced this same thing!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hey -

I'm not speaking as someone who knows, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I'm wondering if you've ever tried to worship the Lord through this?

I know I've turned to worship when I've been in emotional turmoil - not like yours, but I've been overwhelmed by chronic depression.

It might be worth a try?

It helps to put on praise/worship music and sing/dance/whatever with it.

Prayers

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I can not answer your questions, but I can agree to pray with you in asking God to send you the answers you need.

May God bless you and show you how to release the tensions that beset you.

Don't give up. Tell your counselor that you need some constructive help and answers to your questions.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

good idea nebual. :thumbsup: My husband and I are not Bipolar but we do suffer from depression and when it gets bad we also look for ways to channel that to get it out safely. One way we use is worshipping God. My husband finds physical work helps him so he will go and do the gardening or chop wood. I find that making beaded jewellery or playing computer role playing games helps me so I use them, when it gets bad, to help me. Another thing I use is to do bible studies on different words or topics. I find that if it is something you need to concentrate on then it takes your focus off the problem and lets you have a break from it. Hope this helps.

Praying

Thank you all very much for your advice. I will def try and explain how I feel and what I need it order for the sessions to benefit me in any way. I went to a baseball batting range at a video arcade/bumber car attraction. I'ver never played but my roommate wanted to try. I liked the helmets. I actually really enjoyed it. I only hit about 2 balls which really hurt. But it was good. I think next time I feel this way I have a plan I shall try:

A. Finish whatever class or meeting I am in if possible. If I can't last then go straight to b.

B. Go directly to baseball batting range with a friend from college.

C. Play baseball for 5-15 minutes.

D. Open up our Bibles and read scripture and pray together.

Please feel free to comment, give advice, share your testimonies. I would still also love to see how other people who have experienced this crippling irritation have tried to deal with it and if anyone has found methods that work for them. Or maybe some methods are good but have negative consquences. Since I'm really systamatic and organized I thought I would cover the bases 1 extreme emotion at a time. I'm already preparing my question for the next post. I would just really like to hear other's peoples takes and stories with extreme irritation/agitation/anger/fury...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

My counselor doesn't seem to know much about bipolar disorder. Last semester I only attended because my parents want me to and I was only able to drag myself to the appointments each week. This semester I have been able to tear down the remaining walls and be completely honest and vulnerable with those around me. So when I go to counseling now, I have questions that need answering. I actually want to get something out of it this semester but so far she hasn't helped. Maybe next week will be better. I know there are a lot of people here with bipolar who have had it way longer that I have. The question I kept asking her about at our first appointment was about my extreme irritation. i am a completely private person though I have been gettting better over the years. My family calls me a conservative bipolar because I go through the whole range of emotions and yet no one will notice. I keep it all inside, or at least used to. When the extreme agitation or irritation is at its worst, I don't know what to do. I want to yell and scream and swear at people around me for no reason. I want to throw things and make the outside world just as chaotic as the chaos inside of me. I don't. I used to channel this irritaion/frustration/anger at myself. Which would lead to major depression. It was not healthy. I don't do that anymore but I do not know how to release it. I'm stuck with all these emotions inside me. My skin is on fire, my body hurts, I feel like I'm going to explode. I've tried running, wearing myself out playing soccer but it only leaves me physically exhausted and stilll too irritated with everything to cope. I've tried punching walls which gives me come relief. Luckily I'm pretty wimpy so I don't break fingers or anything. I kinda wish there was a punching bag at the school. I'm hoping my parents might set one up i could use over the summer. Anyways, my question of the week is, what do I do with all the pent up aggression and irritation??? There has to be some kind of non-destructive or even constructive outlet for it. Help please!!! I need answers and advice from people who have experienced this same thing!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Shofly,

1st you need to find a mental health councelor that is well trained in brain disorders. You can look up on the web NAMI.org (this is the National Institute of Mental Illness) They also have 800 numbers to call they can refer you to meetings, support groups and mental health centers.) I used to be a family support coordinator for them and I feel they are very good. This will help with alot of your feelings and anger issues. There is nothing wrong with having a brain disorder it is a medical problem just like diabetes or heart disease or any other. The sad thing about some Christian's is they think it is something that you can control and just pray through and while prayer can work miricles it is still a brain disease. God can heal anything and I believe he will but sometimes healing comes in different forms proper doctors and medication and groups of people in like situations. They would never say to a cancer or heart patient, "Oh well, you are feeling run down have you ever thought of praying instead of felling this way."

May God bless you and Keep you. You are in my prayers! I will pray for you in your chaos! God loves you!

Shofly,

1st you need to find a mental health councelor that is well trained in brain disorders. You can look up on the web NAMI.org (this is the National Institute of Mental Illness) They also have 800 numbers to call they can refer you to meetings, support groups and mental health centers.) I used to be a family support coordinator for them and I feel they are very good. This will help with alot of your feelings and anger issues. There is nothing wrong with having a brain disorder it is a medical problem just like diabetes or heart disease or any other. The sad thing about some Christian's is they think it is something that you can control and just pray through and while prayer can work miricles it is still a brain disease. God can heal anything and I believe he will but sometimes healing comes in different forms proper doctors and medication and groups of people in like situations. They would never say to a cancer or heart patient, "Oh well, you are feeling run down have you ever thought of praying instead of felling this way."

May God bless you and Keep you. You are in my prayers! I will pray for you in your chaos! God loves you!

Thank you. I shall try the link you mentioned. I've been searching many mental health sites over the web but have not find any to help me connect with a doctor or consellor to help me. So I shall keep looking! Thanks for your encouragment! <3

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it has been a while since anyone posted to your question/dilemma, but I can relate. I have suffered from bipolar (diagnosed anyway) since 2003. I see a psychiatrist every 3 months now (it used to be more frequently) because we have found the right combination of medications which allow me to control my emotions. Yet, I still have moments when I get very angry, swear and want to hit things. But I've learned to listen to the HOLY SPIRIT at that moment, HIS focusing my thoughts on JESUS and the Cross, which is always the focus of my faith. I feel bad that I went off on my family member (I never explode on a friend of acquaintance) and apologize for swearing. I may not be sorry for the feelings that I have at the time, but I am at the way that I handled the situation and the words I may have used. I have found that with the apology comes forgiveness and forgetting. Then I try and find another outlet for my anger. One that I have found most useful is getting on here and reading, which is fellowshipping with other believers who at the very least are honest and truthful. I usually don't say anything about what is happening to me, but just being able to communicate with fellow Believers at this level strengthens me and allows GOD to minister to me. And that is what it is all about. Allowing GOD, through JESUS and by the HOLY SPIRIT to regain control of my mind so that HE may bring me back to where I need to be. Focused on JESUS and what HE did on the Cross.

You will also need to find the right combination of medications, just so you know. God bless you.