OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I like that program. I have been using it for years!

I just found it about a year ago. Someone told me about it. Have you gotten all the updates for it? you can get a few from the website. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. GOD bless

Yup ... 2.1.5. Once I got use to reading how it was originally spoken, I discovered how different His words came across. One can learn a lot from an Interlinear.

Paul describes a condition of "ever learning, but never comming to the knowlege of the truth". If being an expert in the Hebrew and Greek languages results in knowing the truth it would be reasonable that persons who are naturally fluent in these languages would also interpretate the Bible correctly, but they cannot either.

God gave us a mind to learn. When we read scripture, it is common to try and fit it to today's situations, but how often does one try to understand how it was originally used for a fuller understanding, discovering if how we use scripture today is actually how it was meant to be used? Too often people try to make scripture fit instead of understanding scripture from the original text and learn from this.

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

yes god gave us a mind to learn I like the blue letter bible http://www.blueletterbible.org/ its easy to use and i find it very help full i also have e sword down loaded as well

what i like is hearing the gospel we are use to hearing preached in english being preached in another language like my partners language also the songs we are so use to singing in english this is what amazed me when i sat and listened and heard the very same worship songs i am so use to hearing being sung in english its as if i was able to connect and under stand what the pastor was saying

always eager to learn something new

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

I'll chip in with a couple of common terms :mgcheerful:

Kurios (Gr): Common use of Kyrios found in the Septuagint. Translated most commonly as "Lord". (cf. Romans 10:9-10 et.al.)

In Jewish usage the word is synonymous with YHWH, as without exception in the Septuagint YHWH, Adonai, etc. are translated as Kyrios.

In Roman usage, a term of deity in reference to Caesar.

The Jews refused to call Caesar Kurios, reserving the term for God almighty alone. (source: Josephus, Jewish wars)

Doulos (Gr) pl. Douloi: Translated variously as Servant, Bondservant, Slave, or Bondslave. (cf Romans 1:1 et.al)

Literal meaning is Slave.

Synonymous meaning: "That most abject form of slavery wherein one's own will is overshadowed by the will of the master." (source: Trench: Synonyms of the Greek New Testament 9th ed.)

One that was mentioned in passing earlier in another place:

Logos (Gr) Lit: Word (written word as opposed to Rhema, the spoken word). Synonymous with: The mind/reason of God (c.f. Heraclitus circa 500 BC). Later expanded to include "substance" by various stoic philosophers.

Common synonymous meaning by the first century: The mind/reason/substance of God.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...and the Word became flesh...

Edited by Mcgyver

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/07/1961

Kurios (Gr): Common use of Kyrios found in the Septuagint. Translated most commonly as "Lord". (cf. Romans 10:9-10 et.al.) In Jewish usage the word is synonymous with YHWH, as without exception in the Septuagint YHWH, Adonai, etc. are translated as Kyrios.

Actually, the earliest versions of the Septuagint retained the Tetragrammation in Ancient Hebrew, suggesting that God's sacred name is not synonymous with Lord.

Edited by GoldenEagle
Removed website

name='eprom' timestamp='1359092939' post='1912206']

Kurios (Gr): Common use of Kyrios found in the Septuagint. Translated most commonly as "Lord". (cf. Romans 10:9-10 et.al.) In Jewish usage the word is synonymous with YHWH, as without exception in the Septuagint YHWH, Adonai, etc. are translated as Kyrios.

Actually, the earliest versions of the Septuagint retained the Tetragrammation in Ancient Hebrew, suggesting that God's sacred name is not synonymous with Lord.

However, to answer..you are correct in that there are certain versions of the Septuagint that either:

A) Leave a blank space in the places the Tetragrammaton occurs

B) Places 4 dots in lieu of the Tetragammaton

C) Spells the name in either paleo or common Hebrew.

I would point out that these are in the extreme minority. Many were versions that obviously show the hand of a redactor, or are found within a certain community. For example, the Essene community at Qumran (Qumran Leviticus fragment) translated the name of God as ιaω (IAO)...only time that this is found.

The LXX version (simply to differentiate) was the most widely accepted and read version of the Septuagint, and the LXX translates the name of God as Kyrios in every instance.

There is an abundance of evidence showing that the Hellenistic Jews from very early on equated "Kyrios" with Adonai or YHWH. It has already been mentioned that a big bone of contention between the Jews and the Romans was the refusal of the Jews to accord the title of Kurios to Caesar, instead reserving the title to Almighty God alone. Philo in his writings consistently uses the Greek Kyrios when rendering the Tetragrammaton into Greek.

Therefore I stand by my earlier assertion that by the time of Christ, Kyrios (Kurios) held the same meaning as YHWH to the Jew, as well as to early Christians.

Edited by GoldenEagle
added quote

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  51
  • Birthday:  05/20/1976

Ah Ha! I finally remembered to pin this!

I hope the websites are useful to everyone, thanks again brother Joe.

I ran across those a few months ago when just searching for "Names Of God/G-d" on Google and bookmarked all of them. I still have NOT gotten through them all.

• 4 weeks later...

Metanoia (Repent): In its simplest form expresses a change in the "whole man" of heart, mind, and attitude toward God, sin, and the world; which is then expressed in an action. Biblically this is the repentence that leads to salvation. (Luke 13:1-6, 2 Peter 3:9, et.al)

Metamellomai (Repent): To feel regret or sorrow for one's actions. To change one's mind, but does not necessarily lead to a change of the whole man such as is found in Metanoia above.

Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,(Matthew 27:3 KJV)

And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. (1 Chronicles 21:15 KJV)

Most modern versions translate Metamellomai along the lines of "relent" or "remorse".

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I like that program. I have been using it for years!

I just found it about a year ago. Someone told me about it. Have you gotten all the updates for it? you can get a few from the website. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. GOD bless

Yup ... 2.1.5. Once I got use to reading how it was originally spoken, I discovered how different His words came across. One can learn a lot from an Interlinear.

Paul describes a condition of "ever learning, but never comming to the knowlege of the truth". If being an expert in the Hebrew and Greek languages results in knowing the truth it would be reasonable that persons who are naturally fluent in these languages would also interpretate the Bible correctly, but they cannot either.

God gave us a mind to learn. When we read scripture, it is common to try and fit it to today's situations, but how often does one try to understand how it was originally used for a fuller understanding, discovering if how we use scripture today is actually how it was meant to be used? Too often people try to make scripture fit instead of understanding scripture from the original text and learn from this.

absolutely!.....its called "hermeneutics'......every Christian should take a class on it, it really helps one understand scripture better

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Birthday:  01/23/1988

JOSIAH יֹאשִׁיָהוּ m Biblical, English

Means "YAHWEH supports" in Hebrew

Always liked my name (although when I was young, guys would shorten it to "Joe" - which I didn't like but never said anything)

- Josiah