• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this forum.....I have to admit Im a bit nervous. :laugh: This week, my pastor commented on the calling of Matthew the apostle. Ive taken a small part of his notes and posted it here. I hope you enjoy it as I did.

These 3 accounts of the calling of Matthew (Levi) each tell something about the apostle. In the first account, the apostle himself writes a subdued account of the major event in his life. In the Mark account, please note the bold part about how many sinners there were feasting with Jesus. In the Luke account, please note the bold part about how Matthew left everything behind, and prepared a great feast for Jesus.

And as Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax-office. And He said to him, Follow Me! And he arose and followed Him. And it happened as Jesus reclined in the house, behold, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Him and His disciples. And when the Pharisees saw, they said to His disciples, Why does your master eat with tax-collectors and sinners? But when Jesus heard, He said to them, The ones who are whole do not need a physician, but the ones who are sick. But go and learn what this is, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (Matthew 9:9-13)

And as He passed on, He saw Levi the son of Alpheus sitting at the tax-office. And He said to him, Follow Me. And he arose and followed Him. And it happened as Jesus reclined in his house, many tax-collectors and sinners also reclined with Jesus and His disciples. For there were many, and they followed Him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eat with tax-collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, How is it that He eats and drinks with tax-collectors and sinners? When Jesus heard, He said to them, They who are strong have no need of a physician, but the ones who have illness. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (Mark 2:14-17)

And after these things He went out and saw a tax-collector named Levi, sitting at the tax-office. And He said to him, Follow Me. And leaving all, he rose up and followed Him. And Levi made a great feast in his own house for Him. And there was a great company of tax-collectors and of others who were reclining with them. But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against His disciples, saying, Why do you eat and drink with tax-collectors and sinners? And Jesus answered and said to them, Those who are sound do not need a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous to repentance, but sinners. (Luke 5:27-32)

Points to consider

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

Excellent first post in the Study Forum Jade! Thank you! :il: :laugh:

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Yes, the Gospel of Matthew makes a most interesting study.

Information in Matthew regarding the crucifixion and resurrection are especially interesting in that they present events that are not found in the other gospels. Matthew (Levi) having been a publican and tax collector had acquaintances within the Roman government system.

It is from Matthew that we learn of the request to post a guard at the tomb. From Matthew we learn of the earthquake, the angle and stone rolling back that frightened the soldiers and their subsequent report to the authorities. Matthew tells us of the bribe to the soldiers so they would not report the incident.

I think Matthew had

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Excellent first post in the Study Forum Jade! Thank you! :il: :laugh:

:):D ...and timely also. :D

We need to ask ourselves those questions often.

Now the question is, what have we done in our lives since Christ has called us? Now that we are believers, what is our response? Are we evangelizing and serving the Lord?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

One point you made that I would like to emphasize is how the four Gospel accounts give a broader and more accurate picture of the ministry of Jesus when thay are all merged together.

Another example is how the Gospel accounts of the Last Supper vary a little. Luke mentions the "dispute" among the disciples over who was going to be the first and John records how Jesus showed them the full extent of His love even though they were in a dispute? Each Gospel account has some unique material that when combined paints a clearer picture of the environment and emotion of the times.

Be Blessed,

Wayne

• 3 years later...
Guest Justthefacts

Hi Ayin Jade, Thanks for your post. It does give one food for thought. So, if I may, I would like to expand on this subject a little and ask you and all, why did Matthew, (who was an outcast because he had betrayed his people by working for the Romans,and whom had never had any prior connection with our Lord), WHY did he stright way leave everything, and just go with Jesus. Put yourself in his shoes at that time and consider. Not only did he give up his post as a tax collector for the Romans, but he was responsable for the money that was left behind that could have fallen into the wrong hands and he could have been put into prison for it. What could have ever inspired him to throw away everything at that moment, without thinking, without consideration for his actions, or even thinking about the bitterness that was between him and his people. He just got up and went. WHY???

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  1

You've got my attention! :huh:

I'm going to think on this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/22/1946

What could have ever inspired him to throw away everything at that moment, without thinking, without consideration for his actions, or even thinking about the bitterness that was between him and his people. He just got up and went. WHY???

Because he was not only called....but chosen!

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen."

If chosen by God Himself, as the prophets were, would Matthew have been able to resist? :huh:

I don't know if that is the answer but it is one to consider. :) You have my attention too.

.......Whirlwind

Guest Justthefacts
:thumbsup: You are on the right path whirlwind, but chosen when? Is it because that the voice that said, Follow Me, and the face of the man that was looking at him, suddenly came into Matthews rememberence, and at that instance, He knew the voice and the face that he hadnt seen or heard for such a long time. What is one of our Lords titles. Emanuale, which means, God with us in the flesh. Matthew was chosen by our Father before the foundation of this world age was ever laid. So were the rest of the Apostles. Eph. chapt 1 Let me hear your imput tsth and whirlwind. God Bless