tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  1

I am compelled to go back to Job again. To study further. To ask, "what was it about Job?" What is significant about him? About Elihu? What is the lesson to learn? I have studied extensively and have had many questions answered about him, but the Lord brought me back again, to see what is relative to "today". What have I missed Lord? What did I not see about him, for you have taught me so much, but there is more. Job is presumably the first book of the Bible written. This is significant in itself I think. Here are my main questions to begin with.

1. What is "so significant" to learn about Job, as a person?

2. Why is Elihu "so significant"?

3. How does this Book relate/teach us regarding today's Christian?

I hope others would go with me in this study? But if not, that's ok, I just am lead to share what I find as I go.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

I'll be in here with ya sis! I love this study of Job!! :rolleyes:

(don't know how much I'll be able to contribute though. Duty calls )

Ok, here is what I was lead to begin with:

Who are the players?

All study will be from the reading of God's Word. Quiet time in prayer. And then further research from reference sources:

Strongest Strongs (I have found that this version is a little more indepth than regular Strongs, so if you find discrepancies in this and your Strongs, that is why. They do not match identically.)

Nave's Topical Bible

Name meanings:

1. Job - #347 "where is my father" or perhaps Where is my father, O God?" Also means "hated".

(I found this to be very interesting, the root origin of this word for Job, comes from #340 which means, "to be an enemy" or "hostile")

2. Eliphaz - #464 "my God is (fine) gold" or God crushes

3. Bildad - #1085 Bildad = "confusing (by mingling) love"

4. Zophar - #6691 "sparrow" "peep" "twitter" - Qal) to go early, depart early-meaning dubious.

5. Elihu - #453 Elihu = "He is my God"

Will start with these.

In His Love,

Suzanne

My next focus is:

What was the purpose of Satan in this Book? What was the purpose in his appointment with Job? It was an obvious appointment? But why? Well, let's take a look at the dialogue between Satan and God.

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

(Ok, we still don't get it, the purpose that is. So, let's look some other places.)

What struck me was the going "to and fro". I was reminded of this passage about Satan:

1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I think the above passages speak to us about what might have been some issues going on with Job? With particular interest in humility, pride, afflictions, trusting the Lord, etc. Now, as you read about Job, remember, he was someone in "good standing" amongst the "church" and with God Himself.

Also, in a deeper look at the "to and fro" of Satan. A little further study on the matter: This passage will have a bearing towards the end of the study if I get that far.

Jeremiah 5:1 Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it. 2 And though they say, The LORD liveth; surely they swear falsely. 3 O LORD, are not thine eyes upon the truth? thou hast stricken them, but they have not grieved; thou hast consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction: they have made their faces harder than a rock; they have refused to return. 4 Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the judgment of their God. 5 I will get me unto the great men, and will speak unto them; for they have known the way of the LORD, and the judgment of their God: but these have altogether broken the yoke, and burst the bonds. 6 Wherefore a lion out of the forest shall slay them, and a wolf of the evenings shall spoil them, a leopard shall watch over their cities: every one that goeth out thence shall be torn in pieces: because their transgressions are many, and their backslidings are increased. 7 How shall I pardon thee for this? thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them that are no gods:

Let's look at the first couple of chapters of Job. Look deeper at Job's life and family. See if you can read between the lines a little? What is your impression of him? Try to look at him according to what is written about him. What do you glean? What is going on in his life/family/personally?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Ok, here is what was significant to me in study this morning:

Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause. 4 And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. 5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 6 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.

7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. 8 And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes. 9 Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. 10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

The word "retain" and "holdeth fast"

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Let's look at the first couple of chapters of Job. Look deeper at Job's life and family. See if you can read between the lines a little? What is your impression of him? Try to look at him according to what is written about him. What do you glean? What is going on in his life/family/personally?

In His Love,

Suzanne

It is odd that you bring Job up because the Lord directed me to study Job again just a few days ago.

If we are reading in between the lines this is what I have seen so far. Job was continually making sacrifices for his family in case they have sinned against God. And it says that Job was in good standing with God, but it didn't say that about his family. I think there was a reason Job had this fear for his family. It does not ever say they made sacrifices themselves which could mean they did not have a personal realationship with God. I also think they didn't have a relationship of their own because of what happens to them later in the scriptures.

Job had a covenant/relationship with God. Satan was permitted to torment him but God said you can not take his life. The same was not said of his family. Even early in scriptures Job's wife told him to curse God, that says something about her own relationship with God.

I will continue this study and look forward to learning more with you. :o

Dear Naomi,

Did you notice the name meanings? I found it interesting. With particular interest on Job and Elihu's names. I also, like you, am struck by the fact that Job's family was out of sync? Yet Job is a godly man? How can this be?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I don't know if this is true for Job but have thought about it. Back then many marriages were arranged by their parents. It could be this was an arranged marraige. Just like now, there are many people who profess to be christians but are not. This could of been the case with Job's wife. Or he could of developed his faith after the marriage. That the children were inside drinking wine and feasting and he was not with them almost shows a division within the family. That his name also meant hated, you can almost see that within his own family. Job was hated for his faith and for being known as an upright man. Many people took pleasure in watching these tragedies happen to him. It made them feel like he was as perfect as he seemed to be.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

i would like to share a few thoughts on Job:

Job was just and upright, now the story begins with Job in contrast to satan, the enemy. It tells us of what God gives us all by default; a wall of protection. satan must either have permission from God, but that won't happen, or from us in order to enter inside that protective wall. Job's friends were not friends at all, but Job didn't know that, maybe never did figure it out, who knows. we are told that God asked him why he was listening to those knuckleheads who didn't know anything for 38 chapters, and that God was very happy Job finally included God in Job's conversation. re: Job's wife, well, who needs enemies; LOL. add his friends to that.

It was permitted to provide us an example of what can and will happen to us when we neglect to include God. with all adversity God provides us a way out. what is that way? It is God. The Lord is the way.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

It is also very instructive of the ways of God vs the ways of the enemy. ch 38 is a personal fav. as it speaks to us about the previous earth age as well as this one.

Job 38:41 Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.

the raven is an unclean bird, like the Kennites. recall noah, sent out the raven and it didn't come back because it feeds on the dead, like satan. Cain also a wanderer and a leach, feeding off the high offices of God's children who are not spiritually discerned. recall it is Cains offspring who sit in the seat of Moses [authority] in the times of The Christ.

Edited by sail2awe

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Suzanne,

The other day when I was posting about trusting God and "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." You said that was a picture of Christ in relation to God and it really struck me and made me think about Job and I have been thinking since then how Job could be a picture of Christ.

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

When I have read the story of Noah I have always thought of this verse where the raven is sent out by Noah and doesn't come back. Ravens symbolize satan many times and this raven went "to and fro" until the waters had dried up on the earth. (Gen. 9:7)

Very complex book!