ashwise

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

About a while back I was watching Joel Osteen, for those of you who don't know who he is he is a pastor who preaches on t.v and is the head of a mega church. He has a line of books that promote living your best life. Anyway, the subject was about the verse in Psalm 23: Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies from the NKJV of the Bible. Joel Osteen interpreted that verse as a way of having your enemies come to you when they need something from you and whenever something bad happens to think of God making a feast for you and serving it in front of your enemies. I'm just wondering if this what the verse really means or if there's a deeper interpretation of it. :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Don't know where I got this from, whether at church or from here or elsewhere but this is what someone put down as the meaning of the Psalm's phrases - your question included.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my Shepherd = That’s relationship.

I shall not want = That’s supply.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures = That’s rest.

He leadeth me beside still waters = That’s refreshment.

He restoreth my soul = That’s healing.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness = That’s guidance.

For His names sake = That’s purpose.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death = That’s testing.

I will fear no evil = That’s protection.

For Thou art with me = That’s faithfulness.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me = That’s discipline.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies = That’s hope.

Thou annointest my head with oil = That’s consecration.

My cup runneth over = That’s abundance.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life = That’s blessing.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord = That’s security.

Forever = That’s Eternity.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

About a while back I was watching Joel Osteen, for those of you who don't know who he is he is a pastor who preaches on t.v and is the head of a mega church. He has a line of books that promote living your best life. Anyway, the subject was about the verse in Psalm 23: Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies from the NKJV of the Bible. Joel Osteen interpreted that verse as a way of having your enemies come to you when they need something from you and whenever something bad happens to think of God making a feast for you and serving it in front of your enemies. I'm just wondering if this what the verse really means or if there's a deeper interpretation of it. :emot-questioned:

Hello, I totally disagree with John Osteen interpretation of Psalms 23: "Thou preparest a table before me in the prescence of mine enemies". First off the scripture reads that it was God who prepared David a place at his enemies table.

John Osteen on the other side says that our enemies come to us whenever they need something (this is not found in the scripture ). Then whenever something bad happens to us we are to just imagine God making a feast for us wherein God is serving us at the table in front of our enemies (something wrong with this picture). Using one's imagination to picture God doing something is like me imaging putting all my past hurts, pain and suffering into a box with a lock and imagine myself digging a whole then bury it throwing away the key and of course you'll only have an imagined healing (I've been told this before). But our imaginations can dream up things that may sound good but truth is not present.

In my opinion John Osteen's imagination has brought things into his interpretation of this scripture that simply is not there.

Psalms 92:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Don't know where I got this from, whether at church or from here or elsewhere but this is what someone put down as the meaning of the Psalm's phrases - your question included.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my Shepherd = That’s relationship.

I shall not want = That’s supply.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures = That’s rest.

He leadeth me beside still waters = That’s refreshment.

He restoreth my soul = That’s healing.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness = That’s guidance.

For His names sake = That’s purpose.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death = That’s testing.

I will fear no evil = That’s protection.

For Thou art with me = That’s faithfulness.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me = That’s discipline.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies = That’s hope.

Thou annointest my head with oil = That’s consecration.

My cup runneth over = That’s abundance.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life = That’s blessing.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord = That’s security.

Forever = That’s Eternity.

I really like this example. There is a lesson in every sentence! Could preach for weeks on this :thumbsup:

Guest shiloh357

Psalm 23:5 is referencing an ancient Hebrew banquet tradition. When rich people had a banquet, they would invite only the people they felt were important and worthy to attend. Furthermore, the banquets and feasts were always held outside. They wanted people to see who was at their party. They wanted to be seen with other important people. If the king had a banquet, those who were on the guest list were seen as those whom the king most favored. To be seen at the king's banquet was really saying something about your importance in the community. Others would look on in envy as they were not invited and they have to watch you feast and enjoy the favor of the king.

So, with that in mind, David says that God has prepared Him a banquet in the presence of His enemies, whoever those enemies may be. They have to stand off and watch as he enjoys the favor of the Lord and they can't do anything about it. That God prepares David a banquet table in front of His enemies, is the ultimate rebuke of them.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Jesus used the idea of a great feast prepared by a king in Matthew which follows along the line of what you said. The enemies were cast out and ostensibly had to watch from the outer darkness as the righteous ate in the King's presence.