• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Praise the Lord everyone,

Based on what I have been taught and have observed, I believe that the man is to be the head of the household.

In modern society, it seems that the roles have somewhat been reversed. Am I being old fashioned? Is this a secular change or is it also in the Body of Christ? What does WCF have to say about this topic?

I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible.

Thanks for reading this post :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

Based on what I have been taught and have observed, I believe that the man is to be the head of the household.

In modern society, it seems that the roles have somewhat been reversed. Am I being old fashioned? Is this a secular change or is it also in the Body of Christ? What does WCF have to say about this topic?

Our male and female roles are pointers and examples of Christ and the church (bride of Christ). Christ is the head of the church. Godly men understand this position and calling in a marriage. Human men do not always see or know how to live up to the calling and station. So, grace is available to the man who stumbles about in the matter.

The matter of "Old Fashioned" if held as a "badge of honor" can become a point of selfish flesh and lust.

Do or do not. Follow after the example of Jesus Christ with the indwelling Spirit or do not by default. This is our choice. The human labels of "Old Fashioned" are a smokescreen to hide this reality of simply living by the Spirit in the role God has ordained us in and for.

Finally, the modern church is no different and no less human and steeped in sin, flesh and lusts than any other generation. The issue of the hour is us in the hour as we are either to be found following after the Spirit or not.

Peace and Grace to you all! :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Scripture has not changed. That is our only guide, taught to us by His Spirit. That is all we need to follow.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Your assessment is correct.

My take on it all -

God's design is for the man to be the head, and the man is to love his wife (sacrifice himself: his will, his desires, etc.) for his wife. And the wife is to respect and honor her husband (build up his manhood, submit to his authority, make him feel like a king, trust his judgment, etc.).

But men and women due to their insecurities, improper training, and everything else tied in with our sinful state, haven't been living like this. And so we have "chauvinism" and "feminism." Fortunately, chauvinism has been tagged for what it is; but unfortunately, feminism has been called good. :blink:

And so feminism has been exalted as the means for combating chauvinism.

In God's eyes, replacing one bad egg for another.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Our male and female roles are pointers and examples of Christ and the church (bride of Christ). Christ is the head of the church. Godly men understand this position and calling in a marriage. Human men do not always see or know how to live up to the calling and station. So, grace is available to the man who stumbles about in the matter.

The matter of "Old Fashioned" if held as a "badge of honor" can become a point of selfish flesh and lust.

Do or do not. Follow after the example of Jesus Christ with the indwelling Spirit or do not by default. This is our choice. The human labels of "Old Fashioned" are a smokescreen to hide this reality of simply living by the Spirit in the role God has ordained us in and for.

Finally, the modern church is no different and no less human and steeped in sin, flesh and lusts than any other generation. The issue of the hour is us in the hour as we are either to be found following after the Spirit or not.

Peace and Grace to you all! :)

:thumbsup:

That was well said.

I'm just wondering if maybe the increase of people having children out of wedlock may have something to do with the shift of male and female roles. I also think that the Woman's Lib movement has a lot to do with it as well. I believe that we as women are very much capable of doing almost anything a man can do, but I think that some men go to the extreme about this. Therefore, leaving some women to take on the role of a man.

Just thinking out loud.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

The bible tells wives to submit to their husbands: Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord. Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. This does not mean that the husband gets to lord it over the wife in a dominating manner. What it means is that just as Jesus submited to His Father in love and trust in His Father so wives should submit to their husband in the same manner. The wife must love her husband and be willing to sacrifice all for him. Now if the husband is not being the Godly head of the house then the wife has every right to stand up and say that what he is doing is wrong. And also to correct Him in love and gentleness - just as the husband can with the wife.

Now the piece that often gets forgotten here is that God has given instructions to the husband to: Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it. Now this tells the husbands that they have to love their wives just as Jesus loved the church. How did Jesus love the church? He came as a servant to show the church the truth and then to die for the church and He did it out of love for the church. This then is how a husband loves their wife. The husband must love his wife and be willing to sacrifice all for her.

What these verses show us is that the relationship is about the husband putting the wife first and thinking of her well being and happiness first before his own and the wife putting the husband first and thinking of his well being and happiness first and putting it before her own. And to complete the marriage God should be the head over both. In a Godly marriage there is no one person trying to be the dominant lord over the other but all are in submission as God wants to Him and each other.

That's my thoughts on it anyway fwiw.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  856
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/22/1997

I believe you are right - the man is supposed to be the head of the household, and yes, the roles have been changed by the modern secular society. I believe, however, that it has effected some of the Body of Christ. IMO, it's not right, but I respect other people's opinions and am not writing this to tell people what they should do. :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Look at marriage as a covenant, not a contract. You, him and God.

God should be the head of any marriage. And if He is the rest follows with no problem.

Ecc 4:9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.

Ecc 4:10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!

Ecc 4:11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?

Ecc 4:12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I'm just wondering if maybe the increase of people having children out of wedlock may have something to do with the shift of male and female roles. I also think that the Woman's Lib movement has a lot to do with it as well. I believe that we as women are very much capable of doing almost anything a man can do, but I think that some men go to the extreme about this. Therefore, leaving some women to take on the role of a man.

Just thinking out loud.

I agree. Sin begets easily more sin. It is our nature and our blindness tends easily towards it.

Righteousness born of the Spirit is more rarely seen and more easily lost be virtue of neglect. Try turning your back on a spring garden and see how long it is before the weeds take over. :) The tendency of nature is chaos and weeds. Plants bearing fruit worthy of harvest must be tended and nurtured -- ask any farmer. The garden of our heart is no different.

Your observation is sound and points to an outcome of our inward diseased heart. The cure is Christ -- His grace and faith to follow the indwelt Spirit!

My prayer for all of us -- saints and sinners alike is that we hear His voice, follow and are saved by His hand of grace working.

Much Peach and Grace in Christ to you all! :)

Look at marriage as a covenant, not a contract. You, him and God.

God should be the head of any marriage. And if He is the rest follows with no problem.

Ecc 4:9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.

Ecc 4:10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!

Ecc 4:11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?

Ecc 4:12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Good point. The Covenant God made was not predicated (e.g. based-on or asserted to be true) on our capacity to obey and follow. The Covenant God made was given knowing we were powerless to uphold our end and that God would step in and provide to us and for us what we could not provide to and for ourselves: Jesus.

Thus, the call and position of husband is a picture and gift a man is given not for himself, but for God. My call as husband and father are not about me. The call and position is about Him and His work towards us all. Thus, God has given me this call as an unworthy steward. In my humanity, I have failed and so I am left with no recourse, but to fail. Thanks be to God that He foreknew my catastrophe and sent His grace in Jesus Christ to offer to me His power and Spirit and faith to walk me out of the darkness I led myself into. Therefore, in His power and indwelling Spirit do I find finally the capacity to find some means of handling the stewardship of my calling with a growing amount of merit -- not based on me, but on Him.

What I hope for all men, all husbands and all fathers everywhere is a simple revelation of this reality of our existence and to walk in the experience of faith in Christ to be empowered as men to better rise to the high calling of exemplifying Christ in our marriages and families.

Overflowing Grace and Peace to you all! :)