• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

A 15 year old boy was asked to write and opinion piece for his school newspaper on the merits of homosexual couples adopting children. Then, when he dared to suggest that it is wrong (and worse, quoted Bible verses to support his position) he was punished and threatened by school officials.

See article, here.

After the op-ed was published, a gay couple whose child attend s the high school, complained.

The school immediately issued an apology – stating Wegner’s opinion was a “form of bullying and disrespect.”

“Offensive articles cultivating a negative environment of disrespect are not appropriate or condoned by the Shawano School District,” the statement read. “We sincerely apologize to anyone we may have offended and are taking steps to prevent items of this nature from happening in the future.”

See the boy's original article, as well as the opposing view that was included with it.

I read it and saw nothing that I would describe as even remotely akin to "bullying" and/or "disrespect." But then, we now live in a society where anyone who does not openly embrace, support, and even champion gay/homosexual causes is labeled a bigot and far worse.

I am no fan of frivolous lawsuits and am not really sure if this situation warrants one or not, but at the very least, the school system should have to issue an apology to the boy for their behavior. I'd be amazed if that actually happened, however.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

A 15 year old boy was asked to write and opinion piece for his school newspaper on the merits of homosexual couples adopting children. Then, when he dared to suggest that it is wrong (and worse, quoted Bible verses to support his position) he was punished and threatened by school officials.

See article, here.

After the op-ed was published, a gay couple whose child attend s the high school, complained.

The school immediately issued an apology – stating Wegner’s opinion was a “form of bullying and disrespect.”

“Offensive articles cultivating a negative environment of disrespect are not appropriate or condoned by the Shawano School District,” the statement read. “We sincerely apologize to anyone we may have offended and are taking steps to prevent items of this nature from happening in the future.”

See the boy's original article, as well as the opposing view that was included with it.

I read it and saw nothing that I would describe as even remotely akin to "bullying" and/or "disrespect." But then, we now live in a society where anyone who does not openly embrace, support, and even champion gay/homosexual causes is labeled a bigot and far worse.

I am no fan of frivolous lawsuits and am not really sure if this situation warrants one or not, but at the very least, the school system should have to issue and apology to the boy for their behavior. I'd be amazed if that actually happened, however.

From the school's perspective, I can definitely see the reasoning behind why they did it (not wanting to be sued). However, with by viewpoints being on the same paper, I can definitely see a constitutional issue in play here. Rosenberger v Univ of Virginia specifically states that a school cannot deny funding to a student newspaper promoting religious views when it provides funding to most other student publications. This could possibly apply as both sides of the issue were shared.

See http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/firstamendment/rosenberger.html for more info... unfortunately it is a university case not a high school one.

See article, here.

I am no fan of frivolous lawsuits and am not really sure if this situation warrants one or not, but at the very least, the school system should have to issue and apology to the boy for their behavior. I'd be amazed if that actually happened, however.

From the school's perspective, I can definitely see the reasoning behind why they did it (not wanting to be sued). However, with by viewpoints being on the same paper, I can definitely see a constitutional issue in play here. Rosenberger v Univ of Virginia specifically states that a school cannot deny funding to a student newspaper promoting religious views when it provides funding to most other student publications. This could possibly apply as both sides of the issue were shared.

See http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/firstamendment/rosenberger.html for more info... unfortunately it is a university case not a high school one.

Fear of being sued in no way excuses the behavior of the superintendent toward the student. That aside, the real point here is that it was an OpEd piece in which opposing opinions were sought out. One look at the article is all the evidence that is needed to prove that. It is not the school or the school paper promoting either view. The paper itself in no way endorsed either opinion, but only sought to present both sides from the perspective of students. I believe that it wouldn't have mattered if the student had refrained from using any Bible verses - though I am convinced that doing so only inflamed the school officials and presumably the "couple" who complained even more. If he'd merely referred to studies that suggest children need both mother and father, the gay couple in care would likely still have called the school in a huff. Because we just aren't allowed to so much as question the gay lifestyle in any way, shape or form. The fact that the boy is a Christian only gave them more reason to complain.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

Fear of being sued in no way excuses the behavior of the superintendent toward the student.

I agree. However, the school was stuck between a rock and a hard place. As it is a lot easier for schools to deal with freedom of speech issues (all the school has to do is prove that the publication somehow disrupted the educational process) than discrimination issues (which is probably what they would have faced), they made the decision they felt was least risky. Do I agree with it? Of course not, but I can see where they are coming from.

That aside, the real point here is that it was an OpEd piece in which opposing opinions were sought out. One look at the article is all the evidence that is needed to prove that. It is not the school or the school paper promoting either view. The paper itself in no way endorsed either opinion, but only sought to present both sides from the perspective of students.

I don't know if they were sought out. I don't know how it works in their school, but in mine, even the opinions are written by newspaper staff and closely vetted by the school. The fact that the school vets the paper makes it their responsibility if it interferes with the management of the school.

I believe that it wouldn't have mattered if the student had refrained from using any Bible verses - though I am convinced that doing so only inflamed the school officials and presumably the "couple" who complained even more. If he'd merely referred to studies that suggest children need both mother and father, the gay couple in care would likely still have called the school in a huff. Because we just aren't allowed to so much as question the gay lifestyle in any way, shape or form. The fact that the boy is a Christian only gave them more reason to complain.

We have no evidence either way on this. However, more recent evidence suggests that gay parents are just as good as straight ones.

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/gay-parents-better-than-straights_n_1208659.html

That aside, the real point here is that it was an OpEd piece in which opposing opinions were sought out. One look at the article is all the evidence that is needed to prove that. It is not the school or the school paper promoting either view. The paper itself in no way endorsed either opinion, but only sought to present both sides from the perspective of students.

I don't know if they were sought out. I don't know how it works in their school, but in mine, even the opinions are written by newspaper staff and closely vetted by the school. The fact that the school vets the paper makes it their responsibility if it interferes with the management of the school.

The article says, "Wegner, a student at Shawano High School, was asked to write an op-ed for the school newspaper about whether gays should be allowed to adopt. Wegner, who is a Christian, wrote in opposition. Another student wrote in favor of allowing gays to adopt."

A look at the actual newspaper article depicts both opinions laid out side by side with a staged photo in the middle what I can only assume to be the article writers posed in a mock boxing stance. It was clearly intended to be exactly what it was, two opposing views of the topic. There is no evidence what-so-ever that the article in any way "interfered in the management of the school." There were no riots or demonstrations, no rallies of offended students. There was just one phone call from the parents of one student and that was all it took for the superintendent to turn on the boy and treat him deplorably.

I believe that it wouldn't have mattered if the student had refrained from using any Bible verses - though I am convinced that doing so only inflamed the school officials and presumably the "couple" who complained even more. If he'd merely referred to studies that suggest children need both mother and father, the gay couple in care would likely still have called the school in a huff. Because we just aren't allowed to so much as question the gay lifestyle in any way, shape or form. The fact that the boy is a Christian only gave them more reason to complain.

We have no evidence either way on this. However, more recent evidence suggests that gay parents are just as good as straight ones.

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/gay-parents-better-than-straights_n_1208659.html

And that isn't the point of my post. It really doesn't matter if the boy's opinion was right or wrong. My point here is that our society no longer allows us to even have an opinion on such matters. Not without being called all sorts of unflattering names. If one does not champion the gay cause, then one is by default a bigot, bully, idiot, homophobe, the list goes on and on.

Imagine a different scenario: The article topic is whether or not there are any alternatives to Evolution. The opposing author offers the opinion that the only way to reject Evolution is to reject science. A parent, who happens to be a highly educated scientist who also supports "Intelligent Design," calls the school to complain that they are offended.

Now, do you think for one moment that the superintendent would have reacted in anything close to the same way? Would the school have issued an immediate apology and called the student a bully, ignorant, and threatened them with suspension, all without notifying his parents? No. Because it's perfectly fine in today's society to dismiss and even ridicule Christians and their views. But the homosexual lobby is so powerful these days that even the mere hint of disagreement with anything they say is grounds for unmitigated abuse and ridicule. And that is why I posted this. Because it's about far more than just this one school system's actions. It's about the prevailing culture in this country and how skewed it has become.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I agree there is a definite gay agenda in the U.S. today....and it is a militant one. However, Christians (or any other group) have the right to express religious views, a right that is protected by the Constitution. If we accept censorship and persecution because of our faith, that is what we will get. We have to be just as militant in protecting our rights as they have been. There is NO law that guarantees an American freedom FROM religion; only OF religion....or lack thereof. That being said.... I know they fear lawsuits, it's the way our society works. Still, the few are dictating to the many and we simply can't put up with it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

The article says, "Wegner, a student at Shawano High School, was asked to write an op-ed for the school newspaper about whether gays should be allowed to adopt. Wegner, who is a Christian, wrote in opposition. Another student wrote in favor of allowing gays to adopt."

knowing that there was opposition to what Wegner wrote, I wonder what would happen of someone stepped up and complained about what the one in favor of allowing gays to adopt wrote, if they would treat that writer in the same light?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

This article was published in a school magazine and was therefore passed for publication by someone in an editorial role. The editors and ultimately the publishers have the right to refuse to publish an article or to apologise for an article that they retrospectively the feel was in some way offensive.

However, having chosen to publish the article and found that it has caused offence they have no right to bully the writer of the article who was both commisioned to write it by someone in an editorial role and then had the article approved for publication. For me the most serious aspect of this is the behaviour of the school superintendent towards the writer, one of the students in his school. His bullying approach clearly renders him unfit to hold the role that he has.

.... the behaviour of the school superintendent towards the writer, one of the students in his school. His bullying approach clearly renders him unfit to hold the role that he has....

:thumbsup:

His Role

He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. Luke 11:23

Is Not That Unusual

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 2 Timothy 3:12

This article was published in a school magazine and was therefore passed for publication by someone in an editorial role. The editors and ultimately the publishers have the right to refuse to publish an article or to apologise for an article that they retrospectively the feel was in some way offensive.

However, having chosen to publish the article and found that it has caused offence they have no right to bully the writer of the article who was both commisioned to write it by someone in an editorial role and then had the article approved for publication. For me the most serious aspect of this is the behaviour of the school superintendent towards the writer, one of the students in his school. His bullying approach clearly renders him unfit to hold the role that he has.

Yes, this was why I posted in the first place. It is one thing for the school to take a look at the editorials in hindsight and determine that perhaps it was not the wisest choice of topic for a high school newspaper, leading to an apology for the entire article. (And I mean BOTH sides of it.) It is quite another for them to issue an apology wherein they single out one of the opinions and call it discrimination and bullying, then proceed to bully and intimidate the writer of that opinion. That is something that I see as inexcusable behavior on the part of the superintendent and the school system as a whole. Even if the superintendent was horribly offended by the opinion of this boy, he still had no right to call him names and threaten him. Period. I see the entire situation as evidence of just how skewed our society has become. Basically, the one who is being blamed here is the boy with the politically incorrect opinion when he, in fact, did nothing wrong. We have fallen so far that the superintendent clearly felt it was perfectly acceptable to treat this teenager with utter contempt so long as he was on the side of "right." It's very sad and if it had been my son, you can bet that I would have been paying the superintendent a visit to discuss his behavior.

To be fair, I have done some further reading and the superintendent says he never met with the student. He basically says every thing the boy is claiming he said and did is a lie. It is up to you to decide who to believe. Using personal experience, I believe both sides are likely exaggerating/downplaying their role in what happened. It's just human nature to do so. Even if the superintendent was not as harsh as has been claimed, it was still wrong for him to single the boy out in any way. It just should not have happened.