Love Yourself?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Different take: What is there to love? "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing". The doctrine in the word of God is that of self-denial,

"...If any man will come after me, let him deny himself",

"...first shall be last; and the last shall be first."

"And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." Doesn't sound like self-love to me.

May be a wrong interpretation of scripture on my part, but it is a different view.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

How can you begin to Love others if you don't start from a foundation of Loving yourself? In a completely scriptural way, I mean.

The world has twisted loving oneself to mean pride, arrogance etc, and this is true of a lot of people, and I think in every one of us there is a vestige of this.

However, if we have the Spirit living within us, that is the Love we should feel. For ourselves and others.

It's not about being humble or denying oneself. One can be humble and Love oneself. Matter of fact it is probably a prerequisite.

I hear what your saying, Fez, but in my mind, to love you need another person, anyway, signing out for tonight.

How can you begin to Love others if you don't start from a foundation of Loving yourself? In a completely scriptural way, I mean.

The world has twisted loving oneself to mean pride, arrogance etc, and this is true of a lot of people, and I think in every one of us there is a vestige of this.

However, if we have the Spirit living within us, that is the Love we should feel. For ourselves and others.

It's not about being humble or denying oneself. One can be humble and Love oneself. Matter of fact it is probably a prerequisite.

Yep. Its like that old saying about not being able to give something you don't have.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I hear what your saying, Fez, but in my mind, to love you need another person, anyway, signing out for tonight.

I understand your viewpoint, but let me ask you, do you think a person can love others while hating themselves? I know many people who don't love themselves and it manifests in their daily walk, Christian or not? (remember I am not talking about self pride here, I am talking about self love)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

I always thought of self love as a negative thing. Here I see that I've had a wrong view of it. Thank you for this, Walla.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

The word used there in the Greek is Agapao not Eros and not Phileo.

Here's the translation;

25. agapao

agapaw agapao ag-ap-ah'-o

perhaps from agan (much) (or compare 5689); to love (in a social or moral sense):--(be-)love(-ed). Compare 5368.

Husbands are admonished to Love their wives in the same way. That is because to Love one's wife is to Love ones own flesh.

Ge 2:24

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

You are to Love your neighbor as if they were your own flesh. You are to do this in a moral sense.

walla and Choe, nailed it, I just didn't have my ears on, "as you love yourself", "love your wife even as you love yourself".

I concede you all are right.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As someone who has been struggling with self-hatred, the Lord recently showed me that "my flesh" is not me. Hating my flesh, my sin, my sin nature, is not hating myself. Even more, you can and should hate your flesh without hating yourself.