Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ervin

Is it ever OK to lie?

122 posts in this topic

What if for instance you are an innocent person but telling the truth would get you killed? What if you are hiding inocent people from criminals and you are doing so by lying? What if you are in a war, isn't all war deception in it self(I read this somwhete), hoe can you not lie(maybe if you refuse to fight).

So my question is: When is it ok to lie?

Thanks

The Bible has three accounts of people lying in order to save the lives of other people.

Something to consider the 9th commandment is: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor."

That isn't saying, "Don't lie," as a blanket statement. It is specific to that which causes harm.

I think nebula is right.

And what about surprise birthdays? Sometimes lying can be good.

And if you think you did it and it was wrong, just pray and you will be forgiven.

What if for instance you are an innocent person but telling the truth would get you killed? What if you are hiding inocent people from criminals and you are doing so by lying? What if you are in a war, isn't all war deception in it self(I read this somwhete), hoe can you not lie(maybe if you refuse to fight).

Thanks

Not ever question has to be answered. Plus some could be answered with a simple Yes or No. There by avoiding telling someone a lie or the truth that could hurt them.

Plus if you did lie to save a persons life, My Lord Jesus, who has forgiven ALL of my Sins, is big enough to see through the narrow minded thoughts of those who dare tell you that you would go to hell for doing so.

ICL~~~Dennis

What if for instance you are an innocent person but telling the truth would get you killed? What if you are hiding innocent people from criminals and you are doing so by lying? What if you are in a war, isn't all war deception in itself (I read this somewhere), how can you not lie (maybe if you refuse to fight).

So my question is: When is it OK to lie....

Not every question has to be answered. Plus some could be answered with a simple Yes or No. There by avoiding telling someone a lie or the truth that could hurt them.

Plus if you did lie to save a persons life, My Lord Jesus, who has forgiven ALL of my Sins, is big enough to see through the narrow minded thoughts of those who dare tell you that you would go to hell for doing so.

ICL~~~Dennis

:thumbsup:

Warrior Talk

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

Knowing The Battle Belongs To The LORD

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Romans 14:11-12

~

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

Love, Joe

Psalms 116:11 ". . All men are liars."

Praise God that He sees us in Jesus.

Thanks

While as a general rule lying is wrong we do find ourselves in situations where it must be done ..

Thanks

I believe all lies are straight from the pit of hell Ervin and NO liars will enter the kingdom of GOD; " But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" Rev21:8

" It is NEVER OK to lie " Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." John8:44

No offense intended but you are not only twisting scriptures to fit your own beliefs but you are ignoring a few important facts .. A. we live in a very imperfect world with imperfect people and far from perfect circumstances ,, B. God is not evil .. he is not one of us .. We as humans would condemn someone because they were compelled to transgress ,, but would God ? God is Just correct ? God is love correct ? Is God this tyranical monster just waiting to damn us on a technicality ? Really ? Listen i have doubts about his existence but if that is the God that exists ..then i have no hope and neither do any of us ..And how on earth could you begin to love and serve a God like that ? Now as to lying when it comes down to life and death situations you are not really left with much of a choice .. Yes you could choose to die but in most cases dying is not the best choice now is it ?

Thanks

I believe all lies are straight from the pit of hell Ervin and NO liars will enter the kingdom of GOD; " But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" Rev21:8

" It is NEVER OK to lie " Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." John8:44

It is according to what nebula says.

All moral laws are trumped by the moral law to preserve innocent life.

That means you will be guilty of innocent blood if you do not lie when necessary to preserve their life.

And we find examples of that in Scripture, such as Rahab, the harlot, who is commended in the NT for doing so.

Is it a SIN to lie ? a simple yes or no will suffice. Is there always a penalty for sin ? Was Rahab a harlot and not one of GODs people ? and did she find favour with GOD by her sin (lie) or by her faith ? Was her sin one of hiding the spys ? or was it by protecting GODs people ?

I believe that Christ JESUS would NEVER have us to lie or that would make Him a hypocrite and deny Himself....

Never

These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. Proverbs 6:16-19

Always

Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.

My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.

It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. Lamentations 3:19-24

Does it matter if you only deceive using your behavior?

1Sa 21:13 And he changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard.

Was this sin? Not by Gods standard.

1Ki 15:5 Because David did [that which was] right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any [thing] that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite

The only thing David did that God rebuked him for was Uriah.

Lying as in bearing false witness for personal gain is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. All liars shall have their part in the lake of fire. Although pretending to be something that you are not, such as David did, is not considered under the same definition.

Blessed be the name of our Lord, may we not be found false witness of him.

Gary