Any suggestions on what type of firearm I should buy for protection when I go hiking and fishing in the mountains? I'm not looking to hunt anything, I'd like to have something for protection in case I get bothered by a bear or a mountain lion etc. I don't really want a rifle I'd prefer to have a gun because it's more compact and easier to carry. Is there a gun powerful enough to kill a bear if I had to? I never owned a gun by the way. Thank you..

I carry my 1911 in the woods. .45 acp well placed shot would do it. I like the 1911 since its semi auto and narrower then a revolver. Though if you don't mind revolvers .357 magnum, .41, .44 special .44 mag, and .45 long colts should all be able to take down a bear with a well placed shot.

I carry my 1911 in the woods. .45 acp well placed shot would do it. I like the 1911 since its semi auto and narrower then a revolver. Though if you don't mind revolvers .357 magnum, .41, .44 special .44 mag, and .45 long colts should all be able to take down a bear with a well placed shot.

Do any of these come with a 9 round clip or better?

The 1911 has a stock 7 round mag with one in the chamber. I have a 8 round extended mag for my 1911 so its 8+1. The rest of them are revolvers which typically 6 rounds. I've seen a few .357s with 8 round cylinders but their rare. It doesnt matter if you can't take a bear down in less then 3 shots your probably dead anyway.

The 1911 has a stock 7 round mag with one in the chamber. I have a 8 round extended mag for my 1911 so its 8+1. The rest of them are revolvers which typically 6 rounds. I've seen a few .357s with 8 round cylinders but their rare. It doesnt matter if you can't take a bear down in less then 3 shots your probably dead anyway.

Thank you for your advice. The 1911 sounds like a good choice... is it true that if you shoot a bear and don't kill it right away that it'll just make it more mad and come at you? Scary thought.. What if I see one who is getting close to me and shoot a round up in the air would it scare it away?

1911SS-1_zps176bfd15.jpg I kind of like this one. It's a Taurus 1911 .45ACP 8rd mag

Thank you for your advice. The 1911 sounds like a good choice... is it true that if you shoot a bear and don't kill it right away that it'll just make it more mad and come at you? Scary thought.. What if I see one who is getting close to me and shoot a round up in the air would it scare it away?

Depends on the bear and why its after you. A grizzley bear will only attack if it feels threatened or your messing with its cubs. Shooting in the air is highly unlikely to work and wounding it will just make it madder.

Black bears on the other hand will attack out of hunger as well as protection. If your threatening them or with their cubs shooting in the air or wounding won't work. If they're just hungry a warning shot has a good chance of scaring it off. However I'm not one to risk my life trying to figure out why the bear is after me.

Cougars on the other hand, they have no fear of humans and are usually hungry or think your a play toy. Warning shot may or may not work but the bright side is if you happen to wound instead of kill its likely to back off.

On that note shooting to wound is inhumane. They will likely die from the wound later and suffer from it, and warning shots may not work and if they don't your left with precious little time for a kill shot. If I felt my life was in danger my philosophy is shoot to kill or don't shoot at sll

And Taurus makes a decent 1911 but if your looking for an affordable one I think you'd be happier with a Remington. If your willing to pay a little kimbers and colts are high end, but for bang for buck rugar or Springfield. Mines a fully loaded Springfield 1911 and I love it. Wood grips titanium firing pin + night sites.

And Taurus makes a decent 1911 but if your looking for an affordable one I think you'd be happier with a Remington. If your willing to pay a little members and colts are high end, but for bang for buck rugar or Springfield. Mines a fully loaded Springfield 1911 and I love it. Wood grips titanium firing pin + night sites.

Nice.. how about a laser sight is it worth to have as an addition? And where is the kill shot for a bear between the eyes or in the heart or either I suppose? I'm not good at shooting guns so maybe I should hike with a shot gun at first t'ill I get good at target practice lol

laser site, for using in the woods would be a waste of money in my opinion, you probably wouldnt even be able to see the site during daylight hours.

Head shot would kill it, assuming the round your using is capable of going through bone-the .45 ACP is, at least at close range, however, the heads a difficult shot especially on a moving target-youd have better luck with a heart or lung shot. It may not take them down instantly like a brain shot would-but it would kill it within a matter of seconds so even if it does get to you its unlikely to be able to finish you off, that is assuming your using the right kind of ammo. I prefer using ballistic tipped hollow points in my handguns, preferably either hornandys FTX critical defense rounds or their Zombie killers, for that reason, they do maximum damage.

You should not carry a gun unless your comfortable with it, and a decent shot. You can buy a shotgun, but keep in mind firing a shotgun and a handgun are completly different. Just because your good with one, does not mean your good with another. Also keep in mind, a shotgun is a indiscriminant weapon, and it doesn't take much skill to hit something with it so your really not doing yourself much good there. My advice is find some friends with different kinds of handguns and fire a few to see which you like and which ones you don't before making a final decision on buying one. And if you want a handgun, don't waste your time learning to shoot with a shotgun-it won't help. Instead get the handgun you want, and practice with it regularly-at least once a month until your proficient with it, and try to fire a few rounds every 2-3 months after that just to make sure you stay proficient.

Keep in mind basic gun safety steps, like when handling a gun, ALWAYS assume the gun is loaded and treat it as such. When picking up a gun to handle for any reason, always clear the chamber first. Never point the weapon at anything you DON'T want to destroy. If its an old style revolver (that doesnt have the firing plate that comes up when you pull the trigger, where the hammer rests by the bullet) always leave the cylinder the hammer is over empty, in fact, if one wants to be extra careful, always leave that cylinder empty regardless-when you pull the trigger, it will revolve the cylinder and fire the next round anyway, and if you drop the weapon you don't have to worry about it landing on the hammer and going off. You can even leave the chamber empty on a semi-auto such as a 1911 just to be extra safe-it only takes a half a second to chamber a round, as long as your observant of you surroundings in the woods, you should have more then enough time to do this.

Finally, never carry a loaded gun in your hands. If you want to keep a bullet in the chamber of say, the 1911, like I do, always make sure its secured in a holster when moving, and don't remove it until your ready to fire it. Don't walk around with a loaded gun in your hand, you may drop it or accidently pull the trigger when you don't mean to.

• Thumbs Up 1