• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

This is another question that has been weighing upon my heart rather heavily. More often than not, I hear a lot of these words:

To follow Jesus means:

To love God with all you are

To help those who are in need

To care for the sick

To forgive those who wrong you

To put aside earthy possessions

To love your neighbor

To encourage and lift up one another in prayer

And so much more....Yet this is what I see:

People shunning one another be it on account of sin, oppinions, or status

Noses upturned towards those who are in need, and labels being strewn upon all who feel they are in need as mooches

Sick being left to fend for themselves and neglected, if not abused by those who are supposed to care for them

Grudges being held for years and years at a time

Wealth as well as riches being placed above relationships especially the ones that are most important

Animousity being had towards neighbors, so much so that people do the nastiest things possible out of such negativity

Insults and utter degrading practiced when another person has fallen short of someone's standards

I...myself am guilty of these things. Just....how can the church when it is preaching these things, do the opposite and cast a good image of God for others to see? When we see these things happening how can we rise above it and do what we are called to do?

Will not lie...there is a personal reason I ask this...cause as of late judgement was passed on me due to my financial situation....and it has made me wonder...how some of us can call ourselves Christians when we show such ugliness to one another? What does it mean to you...to follow Jesus?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

That's a great question. I hope I can answer in simple form.

When we walk in the natural man we are capable of what you see. When we walk in the Spirit we produce love. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches. As we abide in Him we will produce the fruit He intends in our life.

Blessed is the man that loves the law of the LORD and on His law he meditates day and night....he will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water and produce his fruit in his season. Ps 1

Our relationship with Jesus directly corresponds to our devotion towards Him. The Word of God is central in our lives "Sanctify them thru thy truth , thy Word is truth" Jn 17:17

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."

Jesus said if you do not eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no part of me. He is the anti-type of the manna, eat the word, eating is believing. He is the word manifest in the flesh.

Had a person say to me after I asked many questions, "Once I started to understand the bible it ruined my life." Doesn't sound like a good comment but I understood what he said. "Those that lose their life for my sake will find it." Once we realize there is nothing in this world of value we look heavenly. But to get to that point can take a while for some of us, we can be are hard cases. I'm a hard case.

I know believers that give all to ministry. People who disciple others by their words and their actions. With all the false gospels and bad teaching being popular these days we don't see many elders. But God can make a difference in you, Pray and read, ask the LORD for a clean heart and a renewed spirit.

Edited by ZEMKE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

To stand outside the increase in lawlessness to maintain The Love of Christ in me! Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Knowing what the season is, is important. The following scriptures speak about the church and not secular unbelieving society.

2 Timothy 2

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Looking to the Apostle Paul for guidance.

10But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 11Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

What we should expect almost 2000 years later.

13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

What should we do?

14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

We live in a time period where many think they are saved but are not. As it is written above they are deceived and being deceived. Paul basically tells us to learn the Word of God and put it to use reproving, correcting and instructing others in righteousness. These are referred to as good works.

What are we seeing in the church today? Why are they not practicing what they are preaching?

13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

The church I was attending previously preached perfect sermons on the Christian walk of faith but always planted seeds within the preaching that said 'but you cannot be like this, no one can'. So no one ever was as they believed the false teaching. They loved to hear about God and his love but don't share his values.

The truth is if you truly pick up your cross and follow Jesus, you will be hated. The ones who will hate you most will be the ones who have a false view of Christ that is revealed through your works of righteousness. They will call you proud, holier than thou and accuse you every chance they have of anything they can imagine. Examples of this behavior can be found all through scripture such as Davids brothers reaction when David asked why Goliath was being allowed to taunt Gods nation.

We are in the last days and the birth pangs of the tribulation are being heard and felt. There are a great number of disobedient believers who think that Jesus is going to mysteriously appear and take them to heaven where they will be rewarded for anything good they did while their bad works are burnt up. Refer back to verse 15 to see their end. Instead what you can expect to see happen can be found in Isaiah 57.

1The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

People read Romans 8:28 and suddenly think that God is doing great things in their lives through the bad things that are happening to them but neglect to understand the verse within context that goes on to say "36As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter."

I continue to read and reread the scriptures while praying for understanding of Gods ways that I might walk in them all. What I am made to understand is that I am expected to good no matter what befalls me. And I am to expect that much evil will come upon me as I choose to follow Christ. People hated Jesus because he lived out the truth. They nailed him to a cross because he was not a sinner and made them look bad. Nothing has changed since then. The Pharisees of that day are here present everywhere, laying in wait to destroy all true followers of Christ, ever accusing them and seeking to destroy them. But take comfort you who follow Christ as it is written "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." He knows your end, that it is the beginning of life for you on the new earth wherein righteousness dwells.

If you have a tender fleshly heart, it is going to be painful every time you are on the receiving end of ungodliness but harden not your heart. Instead give more and more of yourself to those who despise and hate you, as your reward is great and your Father sees all things. Do not rejoice in the punishment of the wicked but mourn that it must be so as that is as our Father in Heaven.

Jesus said "My sheep hear my voice and they follow me". We either are or are not his sheep.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Had a person say to me after I asked many questions, "Once I started to understand the bible it ruined my life." Doesn't sound like a good comment but I understood what he said. "Those that lose their life for my sake will find it." Once we realize there is nothing in this world of value we look heavenly. But to get to that point can take a while for some of us, we can be are hard cases. I'm a hard case.

I know believers that give all to ministry. People who disciple others by their words and their actions. With all the false gospels and bad teaching being popular these days we don't see many elders. But God can make a difference in you, Pray and read, ask the LORD for a clean heart and a renewed spirit.

That statement does hold a great deal of truth to it. Just how do you know when you are on the right path? How do you know you are REALLY doing God's will in your life? I have lost a friend before due to my beliefs to later reconnect, but have the relationship badly estranged. No compromise made either in terms of faith. Just...wounds were a bit deep to forget, even if forgiven. Even have been referred to as names that I dare not utter here or really much of anywhere....along with titles such as a child of Satan, because I did not share someone's point of view.

I am a babe in Christ, I know this. Just what is it about one's relationship with Christ that makes them know or allows them to know that they are in the right place with Him? I share God's word...but feel as though I talk to walls or perhaps get the silent point and muffled chuckle reaction. Like...'Is she serious?' Or 'Who does she think she is?' How do you know you are really doing what God has called you to do?

Again excellent questions. And again I hope to give an answer in a short form that will help.

"I am the true vine and My Father is the vine dresser."....... "and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it, that it may bear more fruit." Jn 15

There are many people in the bible that show what you are going through. Their experience is our experience. These things were written for our learning.

Abraham took matters into his own hands even though he knew the promises of God. But it wasn't until he went through trials and bad choices did he understand and grow in faith.

Jacob through out his life struggled but in the end he knew what it all meant.

Paul knew from the start he was to be an apostle to the gentiles. After his wilderness training he set out and was stoned and left for dead, had to escape from another place through a window in the wall of the city and who knows what else. Barnabas comes along and says follow me. Paul hangs out in Antioch for around another decade, I've heard arguments of three to fourteen years, before the Holy Spirit SPOKE TO THE CHURCH and said "separate unto me Barnabas and Paul". Notice also that Barnabas was still listed first. It wasn't until later that it became Paul and Barnabas. It took many years for Paul to grow into the ministry for which God called him.

We don't understand what we are going through until we get through it. It is during these times that God will draw us closer but if it don't work the first time He will put us through it again until we get it. He loves us and is our teacher.

Over all, Gods will is we love Him and know Him. We all have a calling, we all have a ministry. I'm sorry the discipleship in the west is so poor. Some of us know our calling from the start, I believe that's the exception to the rule. Most of us grow into and discover who we are in Christ but either way is not easy. The one thing is that your in the battle and not on the side, praise God, He will bring you to relying on His strength and break you of your own.

His majesty is to great and bountiful for us to see. He holds all things together in the universe, from other planetary bodies orbiting around stars to the world in an atom, and we know what happens when we split one. That is why He has revealed himself to us in His Son.

"No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him." Jn. 1:18

Dealing with friends and family can be one of the hardest things we deal with especially when we are young in the Lord. Remember if someone is not open or interested but mock, wipe the dust off your feet type of thing, don't throw your pearls before swine. The best weapon we have is the Word of God and sometimes we need to leave it in it's sheath. Whats not spoken is many times powerful. We have prayer. Pray for them who reject you and most of all love God.

Edited by ZEMKE

One of the big things Jesus said about following Him points to the major problem with Christianity at this time in the west.

"Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow me."

Once we allow God to deal with our old nature as he seems fit we become people willing to walk into the lions den. Not that we would be called to do that but we will be wiling to do that.

Today with all the psychology, marketing, new age spiritual ideas, false prophets, twisted gospels and doctrines the cross is no longer central to their form of Christianity. God wants you rich, positive thinking, meditate to bring peace etc.

The three basic things that all Christian doctrine is predicated upon is Jesus Christ and Him crucified, Him resurrected and Him coming again. All false teaching in some way messes with these three. Since the cross isn't central in their doctrine it isn't central in their lives. So we see a crossless Christianity.

A crucified life. Ain't easy but the results are priceless.

We can't speed up the work God is doing and will do in our life but we can sure slow it down.

When Samson got in trouble with the whores he grabbed the door post. The door post is where the Jews put the blood of the lamb at passover. A type of the cross. He did the right thing and went to the Lord when in trouble but he never learned his lesson until he was blinded and weak. A sad story, may we learn our lesson sooner rather than later.

The old song about clinging to the old rugged cross has it right.

Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow Jesus. I think it was Paul who said "I die daily" and also "But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. " Gal 6:14

Edited by ZEMKE

One of the big things Jesus said about following Him points to the major problem with Christianity at this time in the west.

"Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow me."

Once we allow God to deal with our old nature as he seems fit we become people willing to walk into the lions den. Not that we would be called to do that but we will be wiling to do that.

Today with all the psychology, marketing, new age spiritual ideas, false prophets, twisted gospels and doctrines the cross is no longer central to their form of Christianity. God wants you rich, positive thinking, meditate to bring peace etc.

The three basic things that all Christian doctrine is predicated upon is Jesus Christ and Him crucified, Him resurrected and Him coming again. All false teaching in some way messes with these three. Since the cross isn't central in their doctrine it isn't central in their lives. So we see a crossless Christianity.

A crucified life. Ain't easy but the results are priceless.

We can't speed up the work God is doing and will do in our life but we can sure slow it down.

When Samson got in trouble with the whores he grabbed the door post. The door post is where the Jews put the blood of the lamb at passover. A type of the cross. He did the right thing and went to the Lord when in trouble but he never learned his lesson until he was blinded and weak. A sad story, may we learn our lesson sooner rather than later.

The old song about clinging to the old rugged cross has it right.

Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow Jesus. I think it was Paul who said "I die daily" and also "But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. " Gal 6:14

Nicely said. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This is another question that has been weighing upon my heart rather heavily. More often than not, I hear a lot of these words:

To follow Jesus means:

To care for the sick

To love your neighbor

Noses upturned towards those who are in need, and labels being strewn upon all who feel they are in need as mooches

Sick being left to fend for themselves and neglected, if not abused by those who are supposed to care for them

Wealth as well as riches being placed above relationships especially the ones that are most important

Animousity being had towards neighbors, so much so that people do the nastiest things possible out of such negativity

Insults and utter degrading practiced when another person has fallen short of someone's standards

I...myself am guilty of these things. Just....how can the church when it is preaching these things, do the opposite and cast a good image of God for others to see? When we see these things happening how can we rise above it and do what we are called to do?

Will not lie...there is a personal reason I ask this...cause as of late judgement was passed on me due to my financial situation....and it has made me wonder...how some of us can call ourselves Christians when we show such ugliness to one another? What does it mean to you...to follow Jesus?

Yes and when that cold and indifferent spirit enters my family I love it out of them by God's Power and Grace... it is called standing in the gap and if their is one who tries to defeat me in this pouring out of His Love- God removes them from their place within the body and another put in their stead... people if you are willing to let God pour His Love out through you ... you will see His Working and along with it comes humility, longsuffering, patience, soft answers, wonders of His Presence so that which is not seen become the mover of that which is seen and as the witness you are increased in your faith in Him... Love, Steven

To follow Jesus means:

To care for the sick

To love your neighbor

Yes and when that cold and indifferent spirit enters my family I love it out of them by God's Power and Grace... it is called standing in the gap and if their is one who tries to defeat me in this pouring out of His Love- God removes them from their place within the body and another put in their stead... people if you are willing to let God pour His Love out through you ... you will see His Working and along with it comes humility, longsuffering, patience, soft answers, wonders of His Presence so that which is not seen become the mover of that which is seen and as the witness you are increased in your faith in Him... Love, Steven

Thank you Steven, for those uplifting words. Will pray that I do in fact learn and practice all those things.