IGNORED

Did Jesus pay for ALL sin (past, present, and future sin)?

carlos123

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The Lord has paid for repented sins, both past and present, but the Lord has not paid for any future sin that has not happened because it is nonexistent. After a future sin is committed it is only forgiven or paid for after the person repents from it, otherwise the person's sin remains with them.

• Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

This question bothered me a lot when I had just accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I had so many questions and read a lot on the internet and watched YouTube videos to find answers to my questions.

What I noticed was that as my faith grew, sin became more and more disgusting to me. I think that if you love your sin, and your sins cause you to turn away from Christ that you could be on shaky ground.

But when you truly love Jesus, you'll hate sin. It is impossible to stop sinning and we all know that. That was why Jesus lived a life of no sin, and became sin on the cross.

God recognized how impossible it is to live a life of no sin. Sin can not be in Gods presence, and that's why Jesus died on the cross. Because he loves us so much he wants us to come to heaven. But because he truly loves us, he doesn't want to force himself on us.

That would be slavery. That was why the possibility to know good and evil was there in the first place. Of course, God wanted Adam and Eve to love and trust him with all their hearts. So much did he love them, and so much does he love us!

He will not force himself on us, but when we come to Jesus like criminals caught in the act, he will welcome us with open arms!

Everybody struggles, but I believe being born again results in a change of attitude and this is why the Bible says you must be born again.

There are many opinions on the sinners prayer. Personally, I don't think it means much if all you do is pray that prayer just with the intention to have your sins covered, and then you go on living in sin and delighting in it. Nothing changes, so you're not born again. It's just a lie.

I believe being born again means completely surrendering yourself to Jesus. This means letting go of all pride, and acknowledging that you are a filthy sinner. Not just with words, but from the bottom of your heart.

God can see right through you. He knows if you struggle with sin or if you sin willfully.

Many of us struggle with sin, and some sins are recurring struggles. But when we pray, we are given strength and growth to be able to resist. God wants us to keep trying. If that means to fall flat on our faces, so be it.

If there is a sin we can never get rid of, but really try, and despise that sin, God will have mercy.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  61

This question bothered me a lot when I had just accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I had so many questions and read a lot on the internet and watched YouTube videos to find answers to my questions.

What I noticed was that as my faith grew, sin became more and more disgusting to me. I think that if you love your sin, and your sins cause you to turn away from Christ that you could be on shaky ground.

But when you truly love Jesus, you'll hate sin. It is impossible to stop sinning and we all know that. That was why Jesus lived a life of no sin, and became sin on the cross.

God recognized how impossible it is to live a life of no sin. Sin can not be in Gods presence, and that's why Jesus died on the cross. Because he loves us so much he wants us to come to heaven. But because he truly loves us, he doesn't want to force himself on us.

That would be slavery. That was why the possibility to know good and evil was there in the first place. Of course, God wanted Adam and Eve to love and trust him with all their hearts. So much did he love them, and so much does he love us!

He will not force himself on us, but when we come to Jesus like criminals caught in the act, he will welcome us with open arms!

Everybody struggles, but I believe being born again results in a change of attitude and this is why the Bible says you must be born again.

There are many opinions on the sinners prayer. Personally, I don't think it means much if all you do is pray that prayer just with the intention to have your sins covered, and then you go on living in sin and delighting in it. Nothing changes, so you're not born again. It's just a lie.

I believe being born again means completely surrendering yourself to Jesus. This means letting go of all pride, and acknowledging that you are a filthy sinner. Not just with words, but from the bottom of your heart.

God can see right through you. He knows if you struggle with sin or if you sin willfully.

Many of us struggle with sin, and some sins are recurring struggles. But when we pray, we are given strength and growth to be able to resist. God wants us to keep trying. If that means to fall flat on our faces, so be it.

If there is a sin we can never get rid of, but really try, and despise that sin, God will have mercy.

You and Jie have said it. I agree that a Christian can struggle with sin... commit it, repent of it, commit it, repent of it... etc this is active battle and it can be depressing, painful and at times seem hopeless but God knows the heart and sometimes allows us to continuously be purged through the refiners fire... if the imperfections are still there when we come out, then back in we go... some do this for a large portion of their life... but struggle can't be a sin leading unto death. Sin leading to death, according to my understanding, would be a certain sin that you refuse to repent of... it leads to spiritual death. I can think of several sins that would immediately cause a huge separation between the believer and God...a few that come to mind are; bestiality, sexual perversion (child molestation), incest, murder, adultery, unrepentant drunkard, etc. Can they be repented of? I think so... but these are sins leading to death that we shouldn't bother praying for others on because God is already taking action on it. They committed sins that have specific consequences to them, both on earth and in heaven, prayer or no prayer. For instance there was a man who was sleeping with his father's wife... they didn't go to him and pray with him,... they cast him out. No if, and, or buts... hand them over to Satan... for the destruction of the flesh that they MAY be saved. It doesn't say that so he WILL be saved. We don't know for sure, but it's possible that it was his step-mother and that the father had passed... so this is not illegal in America. We don't have details as to what the case was entirely but we know that is was a "lewd" and sexual perversion. It says he had his fathers wife... could very well have been a single act of perversion... or he might have been married to her... it doesn't say. That being said, verse 11 frankly says any believer living in sexual immorality (fornicator, whoremonger), covetous, idolater, reviler, and swindler... it says don't associate with them and cast them out of your presence .. Now there is sin NOT leading unto death and those would qualify under struggles but still have to be repented of. Gluttony, smoking, revealing and improper attire, inconsistent giver, physical slothfulness, and these can be prayed upon... pray and ask God of what this whole list might be. Noticed I said, inconsistent giver, because to not give is very dangerous and is willfully sinning. The only sin that can't be repented of is blasphemy.

Nowhere in the bible does it say right-out that a true child of God can lose their salvation... primarily because the bible doesn't differentiate in that manner of speaking.... there are believers that do the the Will of God (fruits of the spirit) and there are believers who don't. The believer that don't live right and doesn't have fruit may still be a true believer but we're just observing their heart in an instance of time... they can still repent and come into God's Will. The useless believers dominate our churches today... pew warmers who's only fruit is getting up Sunday morning and dragging themselves into a lukewarm church. If you were to look at my life over the span of the past up until today, you would be able to see times where I was rebellious, excessive drinker due to depression, basically a useless believer in a fallen state... etc... and had I died in that state, my salvation would have been questionable (Only God knows). However, Thanks to God, I didn't die in that state and God allowed me to repent... but not without going through the consequences. One time I fell so far from grace that He handed me over to Satan and allowed me to get a glimpse of what hell is like. The absence of His presence is a sick, cold, insane place to be.... a place of fear and trembling. Anyway, my story and testimony is long but I am speaking of all of this from experience and sharing it as such... one who knows. I know deep down in my heart there were times in my life where my salvation was in jeopardy and I thank God He didn't come like a thief and require my soul in those times.

Edited by Spirit_Tracker

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/25/1993

The Lord has paid for repented sins, both past and present, but the Lord has not paid for any future sin that has not happened because it is nonexistent. After a future sin is committed it is only forgiven or paid for after the person repents from it, otherwise the person's sin remains with them.

Um...there is a problem with this sort of reasoning. Jesus died 2000 years ago, therefore all the sins that have been committed since then are/were "future" sins. If He had only died for sins in the "past", the could be no redemption for us.

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross extended into the past, the present, and the future. God doesn't see time as we do. We experience time as a series of consecutive events; God experiences time as a whole - all events, whether past, present, or future are occurring in His unbounded "now". He "inhabits" eternity:

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Isaiah 57:15

Jesus' sacrifice provided payment, once and for all, for the penalty of sin itself.

Hebrews 10:11 ....every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man (Jesus), after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Um...there is a problem with this sort of reasoning. Jesus died 2000 years ago, therefore all the sins that have been committed since then are/were "future" sins. If He had only died for sins in the "past", the could be no redemption for us.

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross extended into the past, the present, and the future. God doesn't see time as we do. We experience time as a series of consecutive events; God experiences time as a whole - all events, whether past, present, or future are occurring in His unbounded "now". He "inhabits" eternity:

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Jesus' sacrifice provided payment, once and for all, for the penalty of sin itself.

Hebrews 10:11 ....every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

12 But this man (Jesus), after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

I read his statement as in our future, not after Christ death. In other words, sins we have not yet committed and repented from.

Hope this helps.

• Content Count:  21

Tomorrow is not here yet, therefore there is no such thing as a future sin until the future arrives to a person. No one is guaranteed future days, for even as I write this there are some people dying, some are dying with their sins and some people are dying without sins. For example, if I die while I write this, then there is no tomorrow for me in order to sin in it nor to repent in it, for there is only today and whether I am with Christ today or whether I am without Christ today.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  61

We know God doesn't have the time restriction. My understanding and opinion of it is that God exists on a single continuum. Past, present and future are all but one... Because free will is real time it would suggest that the concept of having multiple outcomes in life is possible. However, unlike what scientist believe, I don't believe that there are multiple instances of ourselves living in different timelines (See parallel universes). But rather God knows the outcome of our choices regardless of what we decide. If He allows us to be tempted, He knows the outcome for whether we overcome this temptation as well as falling into it. In simple terms, this would be considered the path He set for us. Those who walk in the spirit consistently surrendering to His Will stay on this path/timeline. However, those who do not stay on this path, falls away from it, will have a different outcome than what it would have been had they stayed on the path. God is all knowing.. including the outcome of your decisions whichever direction they may take us. From experience, I know God doesn't allow those He loves to stay off the path without providing a way back to it... not only does He provide the Way back to it, but He consistently encourages us back to it. There were times in my life when sin was dominate that God smote me and leveled me so that I fell down flat, in a pit, that had only one direction, up. I had not overcome that sin, but rather He said enough is enough and set forth a collision course (in other words He crushed the sin)... and when God has to crush sin in our lives, there are severe consequences... we get crushed with it so that we can have a fresh start.... an example for this would be a Christian sinning with alcoholism that got into a car accident that lands them into jail for 2 years or more. God would allow this collision course to happen so that the believer will lose his earthly freedom and be instantly delivered from access to alcohol. This makes sense. I was never sentenced to jail or prison, thank God... When I came to a place of ready to repent, He reached His hand down and pulled me up. Again, I reiterate that it's not easy for the believer to fall from grace. God will remain a hold of us until He decides that He has had enough. And even then His plan to let us fall might be so that we can once again repent. but repent is always a choice... there are those whom God allows to fall away that simply do not want to come back even though God provides a way to.

Scientist believe that we have parallel time planes. They believe there are multiple versions of yourself on the various planes, each one making different choices in life and thus splitting off and creating different outcomes... although much of our likeness is the same across the planes. This isn't supported from a biblical perspective because it would suggest that there are literally different versions of ourselves. There is only ONE version of ourselves but multiple outcomes is certainly possible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I do not believe there is any sin that has not been atoned for that the Christian will ever commit. Jesus not only paid the sin debt for ones past sins, but for every sin they would ever commit. He is the propitiation for our sins and not for ours only but for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). That is not a license to sin which in itself is contrary to being a Christian. One comes to Christ for forgiveness and the authority to live a spirit filled life. They are new creations in Christ Jesus. Except in the model prayer where it says we are to say forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, I do not recall another that says the believer is to ask for forgiveness of a sin. There are many places where it says we are to confess our sins and Christ is faithful who will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.(1 John 1:9). So I confess a sin and thank Him for His cleansing me from all sins. If one will examine even the OT the Lord told them to confess their sin and make the proper sacrifice for that sin. Look up the word confess and read all the places it is used and you will discover this truth. If one has to recall ever sin they ever commit and repent of that sin, what happens if they miss one? Or can you miss two, or even 3? Are dead works from sins of the flesh, suppose one doesn't think so and never confesses it as sin? We know there are works which are wood, hay and stubble that will burn, one loses rewards, but not their salvation. We should confess all our sins, but I believe they are all forgiven in the one sacrifice of Jesus Christ. For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are sanctified. Heb 10:14) He is our High Priest and like those in the OT who are types or pictures of Him we can see that in the sin offering they are to confess and bring the sacrifice and the High Priest administers that sacrifice for their sins for the year. The one perfect Lamb of God by His one time offering fulfilled it which took away their sins for they were just passed over, just as He by the one offering paid our sin debt for all our sins. This below passage is an example of what is taught about confessing sin and is the principle throughout scripture. Confess and claim the cleansing by faith in the one offering of the Lamb of God.

Lev 16:20-34 “And when he has made an end of atoning for the Holy Place, the tabernacle of meeting, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat. 21 Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man. 22 The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to an uninhabited land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness.

23 “Then Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of meeting, shall take off the linen garments which he put on when he went into the Holy Place, and shall leave them there. 24 And he shall wash his body with water in a holy place, put on his garments, come out and offer his burnt offering and the burnt offering of the people, and make atonement for himself and for the people. 25 The fat of the sin offering he shall burn on the altar. 26 And he who released the goat as the scapegoat shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterward he may come into the camp. 27 The bull for the sin offering and the goat for the sin offering, whose blood was brought in to make atonement in the Holy Place, shall be carried outside the camp. And they shall burn in the fire their skins, their flesh, and their offal. 28 Then he who burns them shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterward he may come into the camp.

29 “This shall be a statute forever for you: In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether a native of your own country or a stranger who dwells among you. 30 For on that day the priest shall make atonement for you, to cleanse you, that you may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. 31 It is a sabbath of solemn rest for you, and you shall afflict your souls. It is a statute forever. 32 And the priest, who is anointed and consecrated to minister as priest in his father’s place, shall make atonement, and put on the linen clothes, the holy garments; 33 then he shall make atonement for the Holy Sanctuary, and he shall make atonement for the tabernacle of meeting and for the altar, and he shall make atonement for the priests and for all the people of the assembly. 34 This shall be an everlasting statute for you, to make atonement for the children of Israel, for all their sins, once a year.” And he did as the Lord commanded Moses.

Edited by allofgrace

• Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

We know God doesn't have the time restriction. My understanding and opinion of it is that God exists on a single continuum. Past, present and future are all but one... Because free will is real time it would suggest that the concept of having multiple outcomes in life is possible. However, unlike what scientist believe, I don't believe that there are multiple instances of ourselves living in different timelines (See parallel universes). But rather God knows the outcome of our choices regardless of what we decide. If He allows us to be tempted, He knows the outcome for whether we overcome this temptation as well as falling into it. In simple terms, this would be considered the path He set for us. Those who walk in the spirit consistently surrendering to His Will stay on this path/timeline. However, those who do not stay on this path, falls away from it, will have a different outcome than what it would have been had they stayed on the path. God is all knowing.. including the outcome of your decisions whichever direction they may take us. From experience, I know God doesn't allow those He loves to stay off the path without providing a way back to it... not only does He provide the Way back to it, but He consistently encourages us back to it. There were times in my life when sin was dominate that God smote me and leveled me so that I fell down flat, in a pit, that had only one direction, up. I had not overcome that sin, but rather He said enough is enough and set forth a collision course (in other words He crushed the sin)... and when God has to crush sin in our lives, there are severe consequences... we get crushed with it so that we can have a fresh start.... an example for this would be a Christian sinning with alcoholism that got into a car accident that lands them into jail for 2 years or more. God would allow this collision course to happen so that the believer will lose his earthly freedom and be instantly delivered from access to alcohol. This makes sense. I was never sentenced to jail or prison, thank God... When I came to a place of ready to repent, He reached His hand down and pulled me up. Again, I reiterate that it's not easy for the believer to fall from grace. God will remain a hold of us until He decides that He has had enough. And even then His plan to let us fall might be so that we can once again repent. but repent is always a choice... there are those whom God allows to fall away that simply do not want to come back even though God provides a way to.

Scientist believe that we have parallel time planes. They believe there are multiple versions of yourself on the various planes, each one making different choices in life and thus splitting off and creating different outcomes... although much of our likeness is the same across the planes. This isn't supported from a biblical perspective because it would suggest that there are literally different versions of ourselves. There is only ONE version of ourselves but multiple outcomes is certainly possible.

Well said! God is creative in how he allows events to happen to let his children know they are heading down the wrong path. It could be an accident like you described, or it could just be that gut feeling that tells you that what you're doing is wrong.

Interestingly enough, that feeling became more prominent in me after I was saved. When I lived recklessly prior to getting saved, I had little empathy and didn't feel bad about my sins the same way I do now if I stumble. I have been at social gatherings with non-christians where I've had a beer or two due to peer pressure. When I go home I feel that what I did was not right. That is night and day compared to how I was before I was saved, when I'd drink until passing out and having no regrets the day after. If I did have regrets it'd be because of the hangover.

That uncomfortable feeling in the gut has become different. It is not rational like it is in folks who are not saved. It is a deep sorrow and disgust over the sin. Of course, secular people will rationalize around that like they often do, but we who believe KNOW that the feeling is more extensive than what they talk about. Because you are sinning against God, it is a feeling of shame like if you'd betray a friend and they found out.

And then you have the opposite: the incredible peace and love that comes from following Gods commandments and praying for and helping others. That feeling is so immense that no scientist can explain it rationally. It comes not only from the inside, but also directly from God.

I think these contrasting emotions are one of Gods ways to help steer us in the right direction. He also has his ways of orchestrating events to help people in need. Many times, unsaved people on the road to hell bump into a child of God who happens to be just the person he or she needs. There are many stories told by people who were saved that way. It just couldn't be coincidence for a perfect sequence of events to happen like that.

Edited by Musician4Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

I do not believe there is any sin that has not been atoned for that the Christian will ever commit. Jesus not only paid the sin debt for ones past sins, but for every sin they would ever commit. He is the propitiation for our sins and not for ours only but for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). That is not a license to sin which in itself is contrary to being a Christian. One comes to Christ for forgiveness and the authority to live a spirit filled life. They are new creations in Christ Jesus. Except in the model prayer where it says we are to say forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, I do not recall another that says the believer is to ask for forgiveness of a sin. There are many places where it says we are to confess our sins and Christ is faithful who will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.(1 John 1:9). So I confess a sin and thank Him for His cleansing me from all sins. If one will examine even the OT the Lord told them to confess their sin and make the proper sacrifice for that sin. Look up the word confess and read all the places it is used and you will discover this truth. If one has to recall ever sin they ever commit and repent of that sin, what happens if they miss one? Or can you miss two, or even 3? Are dead works from sins of the flesh, suppose one doesn't think so and never confesses it as sin? We know there are works which are wood, hay and stubble that will burn, one loses rewards, but not their salvation. We should confess all our sins, but I believe they are all forgiven in the one sacrifice of Jesus Christ. For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are sanctified. Heb 10:14

When you admit you have sinned, does it make any difference if you don't ask for forgiveness? You say to God, I have lied. Is that good enough? If you say you are sorry, and mean it, you have an expectation to be forgiven; therefore, by default, you are asking for forgiveness.

Yet, you are correct. The phrase "ask for forgiveness" is not in the bible, but the implication is.