• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Ive worked daycare, Ive been in similar situations, sure there were other methods that they "could" have used, but any time you try to phyiscally restrain a child like that, no matter what method you use, you run the risk of the child being injured or someone else being hurt, and on top of that if theres multiple adults restraining the child, well schools are shorthanded as it is, the more adults that are being tied up restraining that child the more likely it is that other children may be put at risk. And if the child gets injured-or even if they dont, the school runs the risk of a lawsuit in todays society.

Lets put it in perspective-what is so evil about handcuffs? lets put all things aside, and look at just the handcuffs. Police show up, child is extremely violent, and has been pointed out if medical staff had been alerted they would have just called the police-but the police show up, phyiscally holding the child has obviously been tried otherwise they wouldnt be there, the parents obviousy-havent been able to be reached, because unless its suspected child abuse, its still the norm to call the parents, what do you expect them to do? If it was a 25 year old doing something like that, they would have been cuffed, thrown in the squad car and locked in jail. That is the procedure, its not malicious, its not meant to do harm, but it is the procedure. Police pick up a drunk? he goes in handcuffs and off to jail. Any time the cops detain anyone-they handcuff them, thats procedure. In this case-the cops really did what they had to do-the followed procedure in cuffing the child, and then removing the child from the premises, which actually may have been a good idea-sometimes a change of scenery and people will calm even the worst children down-and once they got to the station, and the child had calmed, they actually broke the procedure, and after removing the cuffs allowed her to sit in the squad room with soda until the parents arrived to collect her, anyone else would have been in a 6 x 9 cell, with water if they were lucky. On top of that, with the cuffs, if the child injured herself they can safely say it was all on the child-no one can accuse the cops of abusing the child.

Me perhaps, I would have tried to physically restrain her until the parents could be called, but I still say what they did wasn't wrong. They probably could have handled it better, but I wouldnt say it was wrong.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The Law should not have hand cuffed the child.

In the first place, the school should have called an ambulance to take her to the emergency room .

The Law, should have not hand cuffed the child , instead of taking her to jail ...

they should have taken her to an emergency room.

She had some kind of fit....and maybe something physically wrong with the child.

Which would still involve the police. Medical personnel do not work with combative unrestrained patients for their own safety.

School systems have quite a problem...they really can't do anything (so little discipline allowed), and Parents are lacking severely. When teachers or the principal call parents...they rarely get a response. Parents don't want to be parents, and teachers had everything they could do taken away. I still say dismantle the public school system. Brainwash them and sort them for employment elsewhere.

Knowingly , in such a case the Principal , if could not reach a parent ...there on every students' record is another phone number to contact the nearest relative .

Please read my other post . There are ways to deal with an uncontrollable student , with all those adults around. What they did was not necessary toward a 6 year old child.

ColleenLovesMischief.

We'll see what happens with her when she returns back to school this fall..... maybe the best thing that could possibly happen to her if it gets her attention...... and maybe it will open the eyes of the parents that they need to work on the problem. This is not a school problem, it's a parent problem.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

If YOUR , 6 year old child was hand cuffed and taken to jail, and treated like a CRIMINAL ....what would you do ?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I have a very close family member who teaches high school in Texas and she worries every day about being shot, stabbed or beat up by 16 to 18 year olds that are not much more than this six year od girl.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

If YOUR , 6 year old child was hand cuffed and taken to jail, and treated like a CRIMINAL ....what would you do ?

My son has been handcuffed and taken to jail when he was five. He was beating his sisters up with anything he could find and doing all he could to punish me and them when we would not give in and let him have his own way. The last straw came when he and his mates burnt a shed down. I went to the police and asked them if they could help me put a stop to this. They asked me how far they could go with him and I said cuff him and throw him in jail for a few hours to show him that his behaviour was not acceptable. They did just that and my son was a changed boy after that. He is in his twenties now and still says that what I did turned him round and got him on the right path as it really scared him like nothing else did.

And before anyone says anything about how I parented him I did use all the usual punishments for him to stop the behaviour, from time out to taking things away from him, and they didn't work as he didn't believe he had to listen to me over anything. I was also relying very much on God during this time and only went to the police after much prayer and thought. It is not always the parents fault when a child chooses to do wrong. I am not saying it is or isn't the parents fault in the case of this child just that we are sometimes to quick to blame the parents when they have tried everything to stop the child and nothing worked.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

The Law should not have hand cuffed the child.

In the first place, the school should have called an ambulance to take her to the emergency room .

The Law, should have not hand cuffed the child , instead of taking her to jail ...

they should have taken her to an emergency room.

She had some kind of fit....and maybe something physically wrong with the child.

Which would still involve the police. Medical personnel do not work with combative unrestrained patients for their own safety.

School systems have quite a problem...they really can't do anything (so little discipline allowed), and Parents are lacking severely. When teachers or the principal call parents...they rarely get a response. Parents don't want to be parents, and teachers had everything they could do taken away. I still say dismantle the public school system. Brainwash them and sort them for employment elsewhere.

Knowingly , in such a case the Principal , if could not reach a parent ...there on every students' record is another phone number to contact the nearest relative .

Please read my other post . There are ways to deal with an uncontrollable student , with all those adults around. What they did was not necessary toward a 6 year old child.

ColleenLovesMischief.

As a mother of 4 (3 living) I would say it was needed. My kids have all tried for those kinds of things. My 14 yr old still does. The school tells the kids to report if a parent so much as smacks them. I have had to deal with situations similar. My teenager can knock me out (he doesn't know it yet). Overpowering a small child by being bigger isn't good either. It teaches them to fear adults. As for what is allowed in the schools...they were in the right. Maybe parents could try to get some control of their children....schools sure don't and never will have it. Oh and schools should be warned in advance about a child with behavior problems.

(quote from the news letter, about the 6 year olds' arrest)

Kids are being arrested for being kids," said Shannon Kennedy, a civil rights attorney who is suing the Albuquerque, N.M., school district, where hundreds of kids have been arrested in the past few years for minor offenses — including such things as having cellphones in class, burping, refusing to switch seats and destroying a history book. In 2010, a 14-year-old boy was arrested for inflating a condom in class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my, ..... the schools are going nutts with all kinds of stupid unnecessary arrest.

Like burping ? come on now .... that is getting too far fetched.

Don't know about the 14 year old ... as teens like to show off, just to get noticed.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I dont think the child was even treated like a criminal-yes the cuffs were put on, and she was transported to the local PD, but as far as treated like a criminal? From what Im gathering, she wasnt formally arrested, but more restrained and removed from the premises-which seemed to work. She wasnt thrown in with the criminal populace, but rather given a soda and allowed to chill in the squad room until the parents showed up. But if it were my kid, I would hope that she wouldnt throw a temper tantruum THAT bad, but, if she did, and I wasnt reachable for whatever reason, I may not necessarily be 100% happy with this method, but I also wouldnt blame them either. The child wasn't hurt in any way, neither was anyone else.

I agree there are timeswhen the cops shouldnt be called, such as burping and even inflating a condom (that might be worth a suspension though) however, there is a night and day difference between burping, and throwing things around the room and trying to break a glass cabinet-burping injures no one, breaking a glass cabinet can hurt the child not to mention anyone who is trying to restrain the child.

I dont think the child was even treated like a criminal-yes the cuffs were put on, and she was transported to the local PD, but as far as treated like a criminal? From what Im gathering, she wasnt formally arrested, but more restrained and removed from the premises-which seemed to work. She wasnt thrown in with the criminal populace, but rather given a soda and allowed to chill in the squad room until the parents showed up. But if it were my kid, I would hope that she wouldnt throw a temper tantruum THAT bad, but, if she did, and I wasnt reachable for whatever reason, I may not necessarily be 100% happy with this method, but I also wouldnt blame them either. The child wasn't hurt in any way, neither was anyone else.

I agree there are timeswhen the cops shouldnt be called, such as burping and even inflating a condom (that might be worth a suspension though) however, there is a night and day difference between burping, and throwing things around the room and trying to break a glass cabinet-burping injures no one, breaking a glass cabinet can hurt the child not to mention anyone who is trying to restrain the child.

Criminals get hand cuffed ...did she commit a crime ? She got hand cuffed and taken to jail and therefore treated as a criminal.

That is why this story has hit the News.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Criminals get hand cuffed ...did she commit a crime ? She got hand cuffed and taken to jail and therefore treated as a criminal.

That is why this story has hit the News.

Yes she did...hitting someone is called assault actually. Most people take the legal route these days. Cover your toosh kinda thing.