• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Really starting to wish I had the means to homeschool mine. This is not right. A child is bound to get upset, have temper tantrums. That is all part of growing up. If this is how they treat a six year old...how are schools treating their special education students? I cringe to think of it. May write the school system here a letter.....going to pray long and hard before I do anything though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

On the other side of it though look at it from the schools perspective, we have a child obviously out of control, all methods of discipline available to the treachers/principle has failed to work, even threat of calling the parents, if they had let the child run rampant she could have hurt herself or another student, which could have landed them with a lawsuit-physically restraining the child until the parents could arrive, could again, result in a lawsuit especially if she was injured in anyway, what real choice did they have? Other then sore wrists, the handcuffs really didnt hurt the child any. . .personally, while I think its definetly a bit extreme, but I can definetly understand why they did what they did and don't think it was abuse. And I would also wonder about the parents-I mean seriously, when I was a kid, threatening to call my parents wouldve been enough to get me to calm down right fast.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

On the other side of it though look at it from the schools perspective, we have a child obviously out of control, all methods of discipline available to the treachers/principle has failed to work, even threat of calling the parents, if they had let the child run rampant she could have hurt herself or another student, which could have landed them with a lawsuit-physically restraining the child until the parents could arrive, could again, result in a lawsuit especially if she was injured in anyway, what real choice did they have? Other then sore wrists, the handcuffs really didnt hurt the child any. . .personally, while I think its definetly a bit extreme, but I can definetly understand why they did what they did and don't think it was abuse. And I would also wonder about the parents-I mean seriously, when I was a kid, threatening to call my parents wouldve been enough to get me to calm down right fast.

You have a point Patriot. It does...make you question if there is any discipline. My oldest boy is two....almost three... and rarely has a temper tantrum that involves throwing things any more. Then....my hubby and I found there is nothing worse to him than being bored and having his parents upset with him. Time out is torture to my big boy. Every child is different though when it comes to what works and what does not in terms of discipline. Let me reread the article. Do not think it mentioned much of the efforts made, then I am running on no coffee today and ironically....did not get much sleep so am sort of running on no energy. Do not want to read this article half asleep. :)

Still....handcuffs?

I reread....and she was a danger but what about these other arrests made in ABQ? Over having cell phones in class? Really....! How far will the schools push things, if these little trivial matters cannot be handled in the classroom without calling the police then where does the working tax payers money go?

I just cringe thinking about the hours my husband spends working to pay for this kind of behavior.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I dont know about the alberquerque class, but I do know this child was throwing one heck of a temper tantruum, was throwing things at students and teachers, when physically restrained kept fighting etc. I agree the cops get called waaay to much these days, but in this case I can say Im not sure its the course I would have taken in this particular case, but I can at least understand why it was done.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

The Law should not have hand cuffed the child.

In the first place, the school should have called an ambulance to take her to the emergency room .

The Law, should have not hand cuffed the child , instead of taking her to jail ...

they should have taken her to an emergency room.

She had some kind of fit....and maybe something physically wrong with the child.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Each school should have a tiny little jail cell. It should be padded and preferably have pink decor.

Straightjackets would be optional.

I don't particulary like children, I went to school with a bunch of them and they were horrible......

I was the only well behaved child in my school... :whistling:

All the aalergations was a frame up becase everboddy was jelis bout my comand of speling and the Engliss langage.

I am still used as an example at my skool and the teachers was wrong, I nevr was in jail like themall siad.....

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

When I was a kid that age we didn't do things like that because we knew that if we did we'd be taken down to the principle's office and beat on the rear end with a good sized board.

Well for the most part that's not acceptable any more... actually when kids misbehave there is little that a teacher can do to them to make them uncomfortable enough to stop the disruptive action.

A kid of that age still having tantrums speaks of either parents who have let it happen, or some kind of mental illness.

It seems to me that handcuffs would be preferable to a good spanking, but our kids desperately need something to curb their actions. I hear people complain about no discipline in the schools, but when the schools do something that makes the kids uncomfortable enough to change their behavior, they complain about that too.

Boards that inflict severe pain worked well for us and I'd like to see us go back to that...... I always thought that's the real reason God made butts..... it's a safe place to inflict attitude changing pressure to young people. Since we can't do that these days, I say go for the handcuffs and get the little buggers ready for their future.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

welcome to godless america where in the name of freedom we take your freedom.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I blame PC for this. Positive reinforcement doesn't deliver as well as people like to believe. Then, of course, our society encourages selfishness.